I cured my rosacea by cutting out foods I'm allergic/sensiti

There is a lot of interest in how what you eat can affect your rosacea. Some foods can cause a flareup in rosacea symptoms. Also the makeup of your diet in general will affect your health for sure and also your rosacea.

I cured my rosacea by cutting out foods I'm allergic/sensiti

Postby SusieQ2222 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:09 am

Rosacea sufferers – I was one of you and this is my story of being cured. I’m not selling anything and I have no vested interest in anyone taking my advice. But I want to at least share what I learned after suffering from numerous problems, including rosacea, for almost 10 years.

Let me first jump to what cured me and then I’ll give some history. Apparently, mine was all food allergy/food sensitivity related. I had had two allergy tests in the past, including skin prick/injections and full blood work with the results saying I had NO allergies. After reading a book about eliminating the 8 most allergic foods from my diet, I decided to try it. I took out eggs, dairy, gluten, corn, sugar, peanuts and soy. I had an immediate benefit – my knee pain stopped within a few days. I’m 44 and a former track athlete and thought my knee pain was the result of years of running. Nope, it was apparently inflammation.

As I was trying to add foods back in to see what triggered my “issues”, I got really tired of the work involved and the concern that I wouldn’t be able to accurately pinpoint which foods were problematic, so I found a nutritionist and had her do a full blood workup for me, testing me for food allergies and food sensitivities. The results shocked me. Not only did I have severe intolerance (not allergy) to eggs and dairy, I was sensitive to gluten as well as mildly intolerant or mildly allergic to all these healthy foods: almonds, cashews, soy, pinto beans, navy beans, tomatoes, oranges, lemons, garlic, peas, mustard seed, sunflower, hemp, tapioca, teff and sesame.

On the advice of my nutritionist, I immediately cut out all of these foods…this was in late March 2013. I also went completely gluten-free with cosmetics, lotions, lip products, shampoo, etc. ON my own, I started washing my face in Evian water instead of tap water, wondering if the chlorine might be irritating my already sensitive skin. And I cut out all nuts after learning that some people don’t process the fat in them well and they can aggravate rosacea and other skin problems. I also did a few rounds of a laser treatment that I was told might help.

It is now mid-July and my skin has never looked better. My papulopustular rosacea bumps are gone (at times I would have 25+ on my face). My flushing is gone (caused daily by everything from exercise to hot showers to lotions/creams). My eczema is gone, my acne is gone, my chronic runny nose is gone, my chronic dry eyes are much better, and believe it or not, I’ve apparently stopped snoring.

I believe that even though the issues with most of my problem foods are mild, because I was eating all of my problem foods almost daily, the compounded effect was a huge problem. They are most of my favorite foods. I think this list of problem foods is only specific to me and I’m not suggesting anyone else has issues with these particular foods. Perhaps I’ve caused these issues by overindulging and not rotating my foods…I don’t really know. All I know is this – I was on antibiotics and special creams (I’ve tried dozens and dozens) for my facial skin, I was on Restasis for my dry eyes, I was on Ipratropium Bromide for my chronic runny nose, and I was on massive Advil frequently for menstrual issues and knee pain. I was getting routine cortisone injections to the bumps on my face because they just would not go away. I am off all of those medications and my skin looks great. I am spending much less time, effort and money now that I know it was food related.

So – I wanted to share my story in case anyone else is at the end of their rope like I was and this might be their solution. I KNOW that food sensitivity is not the cause of rosacea for everyone, but it was never even mentioned to me by any of the many doctors I saw and I just wish someone had told me it COULD be a cause I should investigate. I had already tried cutting spicy foods, alcohol, coffee, etc. – the commonly talked about rosacea triggers. Turns out I have no problems with any of those foods. I spent so many years seeing different dermatologists, orthopedic doctors, rheumatologist, eye doctors, allergists, etc. seeking relief from many problems, with my skin being the one that plagued me the most. Finding the solution required a number of tests, has cost me some out of pocket money (a few thousand dollars) because insurance companies apparently don’t cover these tests, and it has required a significant amount of discipline on my part. But it’s all been worth it and I wanted to let everyone know in case they might want to try it. Good luck!

Susan
SusieQ2222
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: I cured my rosacea by cutting out foods I'm allergic/sen

Postby LoisAnne » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:09 am

Thank you for taking the time to share your story! You are to be commended for persevering and for being able to give up those foods that you enjoy. As you said, this would not be the answer for everyone but if your solution helps just a few, that would be great. I hope your success continues.

LoisAnne
LoisAnne
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Postby vavavum » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:25 am

Wow Susie, I'm happy for you. I believe many of my issues are related to my diet also. I just have no discipline when it comes to eating but i believe my suffering is related to my diet. I have high levels of inflammation and know it is related to my diet. Now my rosacea has been in a consistent flare for the last month. I'm newly diagnosed with rosacea and need to eliminate the triggers and be concious of my diet. Thank you for sharing your story. (yahoo)
vavavum
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby SusieQ2222 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:21 am

Vavavum - you can do it! My rosacea got consistently worse over a period of years. When I was newly diagnosed, it was an aggravation. By the end, it was interfering with my work and social life - and I worried about all the medications I was taking to combat the rosacea and the other health problems that all turned out to be food related. What will the long term effects of those medications be??? Anyway, if your rosacea gets bad enough that you're willing to do anything, the self-discipline gets a little easier. :) That's the point at which I found myself. I wish you all the best in working through this!!

Susan
SusieQ2222
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby FredTheRed » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:06 pm

Hi Susie

I have battled with diets for a long time. I could never figure out what my triggers were. I have an appointment next week with an allergist for food intolerance and sensitivities. I would love to know what my triggers are.. I will let you know how i get on

Fred
FredTheRed
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby SusieQ2222 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:01 pm

Hey Fred - I'm curious to know what happened with your testing? I hope you've seen some improvement!
SusieQ2222
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Brenz » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:09 pm

Very interesting, Susie. Having recently had my first big flare-up of ocular rosacea after 15years of facial flushing, I'm keen to stop any further progression in its tracks. Although I'm 70, it doesn't mean I'm happy appearing in public looking as if I've been peeping through red-painted keyholes!
I know for sure (guess how) that champagne is a trigger for me. My New Year celebratory toast proved it absolutely and that particular pleasure is definitely off the menu from now on. What to eliminate next. Fanny tells me tomatoes are a common trigger and I've been having them straight off the bush recently. I think I'll go without those and see if this inflammation reduces. Previous experience for another condition in which I had to eliminate certain food to identify problems reminds me it is not an easy process. You went to a nutritionist/allergist; may I ask how you chose one you felt confident in? What qualifications should one look for in such a practitioner?

Regards,
Brenz
Brenz
Apprentice Member
Apprentice Member

Postby SusieQ2222 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:13 pm

Hey Brenz - I haven't logged on in a long time so I just saw your post. I can tell you that things that were triggers for my rosacea in the past (like vodka in a martini, or running/cardio exercise) are no longer triggers. I have spent almost a year healing my gut and I've abstained from my reactive foods so successfully that my body now does not have a problem with them and I can eat them occasionally. I have determined that nuts seem to be a problem for me even if not the ones I'm allergic to. Some people apparently do not process the fat in nuts properly. As far as finding a nutritionist, I just looked online and interviewed a few over the phone. The one I selected was Alane Palmer at Nutritionally Yours in GA. I think she does out of town work/phone consults if you are not located here. Good luck to you!

Susan
SusieQ2222
I'm new here
I'm new here

Return to Foods & Diet