FOOD STRESS, help me! Acidic foods and Amines

There is a lot of interest in how what you eat can affect your rosacea. Some foods can cause a flareup in rosacea symptoms. Also the makeup of your diet in general will affect your health for sure and also your rosacea.

FOOD STRESS, help me! Acidic foods and Amines

Postby Englishrain » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:37 pm

Hi all!

I’ve only just recently joined the forum and I’m really grateful for all the wonderful information but… Rosacea and diet problems are confusing the hell out of me!!

I don’t know what it’s ok to eat anymore!!

Here’s a little info on me: I’m 20, have had rosacea for quite a number of years (around 15 when it started) but was treating it as if it was acne, quite aggressively, and my skin is just crazy...

I suffer quite badly from spots and little raised bumps, have large pores, and constant redness on my chin and cheeks. Yep… it’s very depressing.

I’m looking to change my diet as part of helping my skin, and am ready for commitment to a regime but there is just too much to take in! Also, I’m a vegetarian.

A big diet trigger I’ve read about is Acidic foods, and I’ve been looking at two main Acidic vs alkaline food charts:

http://www.rosacea-ltd.com/rosaceadiet.php3

[spam link removed]

(But these seem to conflict a little)

But then there seems to all this stuff about Amines worsening Rosacea... and it seems to be mainly alkaline foods like tomatoes, avocadoes and hazelnuts which contain them…

And THEN there are salicylates to avoid which seem to be in all the low Amine foods.

GOOD GOD WHAT DO I EAT?

I feel like I’m drowning in information with no way to manage it! I feel like I might as well go cry in the corner, eat cake and drink wine.

Are there any solid tips that help? (though I know different things tend to help different people).

HELP xxx
Englishrain
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: FOOD STRESS, help me! Acidic foods and Amines

Postby vedderzzgrl » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:10 pm

hello , I was about to post the same question, it is so hard to figure out what to eat !! i am almost starving !! I know everyones triggers are different but besides not knowing what to eat (im not a vegetarian btw) im not sure how i know if it a no go food. a couple of things I have been able to tell that it was bad like I had ceasar dressing and one side of my face was on fire , that let me know that was a bad one , but others are not so easy , if something doesnt make me flush is okay or is it bad if I wake up a little reddder the next day ? this is all so confusing , I realize I did not answer any questions for the OP , but maybe someone more expreienced can help us both out
Thank you
Melissa Z
vedderzzgrl
Apprentice Member
Apprentice Member

Postby Englishrain » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:15 pm

Hi Melissa, it's good to know I'm not the only one who's confused!
Englishrain
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Peacock » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:18 pm

Food and diet is tricky because everyone is different.The only plan that has worked for me is a 60 day food journal. Broad based diets such as Paleo, Atkins , Alkaline, etc... don't address the need to uncover individual trigger foods. These trigger foods can be the healthiest of foods (shellfish, avocado, citrus, berries, nuts, dairy, etc..).

First, here are my top rated suggested "readings" on diet and food:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1406
http://rosacea-research.org/wiki/index. ... ring_Foods
http://rosacea-research.org/wiki/index. ... _in_Niacin
http://rosacea-research.org/wiki/index. ... alicylates
http://rosacea-research.org/wiki/index. ... n_Response

You should become familiar with terms such as "Histamine response", "Salicylates", Sugar Effect on skin".

So, as soon as you can, begin a journal. Focus first on SUGAR and then work your way through all the foods you usually eat. There is no need to go on some starvation diet or alkaline only diet....just eat as you normally do, but write down notes when you see your skin react.

Good luck
Peacock
Star Member
Star Member

Postby vedderzzgrl » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:29 pm

hi peacock, i have been keep a journal since March but I seem to not be eating anything but a few choice items that dont seem to bother me ( I have cut out near all sugar and i cut out dairy for a month and half and only have it now in a little cereal, maybe its bread ? although i only eat that once a week) no caffeine , soda .. anyways this diet is so limited I have lost too much weight plus I am torturing myself , but you say eat as i normally would but before i developed this lovely disease I ate pretty bad mostly tv dinners and pasta , etc.. so it is hard for me to go back to eating normal but yet i do need to add a few things to keep me from getting skinnier .. although I have to say I havent seen any improvement in my skin .. I cant seem to figure out what could still be making this hang around. so any advice would be good.. any ideas on what else i should elimiate
thanks for any help and advice
Melissa
vedderzzgrl
Apprentice Member
Apprentice Member

Postby CrabbyCathy » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:15 am

These are some foods that can trigger rosacea.

http://www.rosacea.org/patients/materials/triggers.php

But as Peacock said, trial and error. Annoying to be sure, and confusing, but everyone is so different. My best friend can eat anything and everything. My coworker can't have frozen yogurt. My other coworker is sensitive to chocolate. Peacock just listed his in his main thread, and mine are: (cow) all dairy products, concentrated tomato products, acidic/citric products (including vinegar and citrus fruits), MSG, soy sauce, spicy foods, grapes/raisins, cinnamon, cocoa.

The odd thing is, if I avoid these foods for about 6 months, I can have them again for a short time in moderation.
Cathy (makeup)
See my blog for tips and helpful links!
Please note: Any advice offered here is not meant to replace medical advice. Always see your dermatologist.
CrabbyCathy
Moderator Team

Return to Foods & Diet