Candida Diet Working Wonders

There is a lot of interest in how what you eat can affect your rosacea. Some foods can cause a flareup in rosacea symptoms. Also the makeup of your diet in general will affect your health for sure and also your rosacea.

Candida Diet Working Wonders

Postby spencer » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:06 pm

I have had a healthy diet for some time. I don't eat sugar (even natural sweeteners), processed foods or drink alcohol or coffee and eat healthy, whole foods. However, I was still plagued by what I thought might be some candida symptoms: itching, headaches, allergies, fatigue, joint pain, etc. I recently decided to also cut out most fruit, especially tropical fruits as they have a higher glycemic index. I even cut out higher glycemic grains like oatmeal and other gluten containing grains. I also cut out dairy, although I never ate that much dairy previously. The only dairy-related product I will have is a goat whey mineral supplement (much easier to digest). Essentially, I was left with something similar to a paleolithic diet. I also added in two green vegetable juices a day with a combination of kale, celery, cabbage, broccoli, cucumber, bok choy, lemon and ginger (I have a juicer at home). Finally, I am eating a ton of seaweed (very alkalizing for the body).

For supplements, I began taking a probiotic with a minimum of 25 billion bacteria. Most probiotics are dead by the time you buy them. Make sure you get them from a reputable source. I'm also taking a prebiotic in the form of larch bark. You can also take it in the form of chicory root (inulin). Prebiotics feed the probiotics and help with their proliferation.

I have also been taking some yeast killers in the form of oregano oil, grapefruit seed extract, olive leaf extract, spirulina and garlic. You could try one or all of these in variation.

These are the changes I've made in the past couple of weeks and I can honestly say that I feel amazing. All inflammation in my body is almost completely gone. My skin is glowing. I am less prone to redness. I don't react to products if at all. I have less joint pain and itching, fewer headaches, more energy, fewer food sensitivities, etc.

The reason this worked for me is because I clearly have had a candida overgrowth for some time, due to having taken hormone replacement for over a year and a half. The same could happen to someone who has been on antibiotics or under stress. Obviously a healthy diet is always a good idea, whether you have candida or not. But I think a lot of inflammatory conditions are due to diet alone. If you suspect you have candida, check out this book called the Complete Candida Yeast Guidebook: http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Candida- ... 0761527400 I skipped to Phase II of the diet, which one has to keep up with for anywhere from 1-6 months. The first phase of the diet is less extreme and will help one ease more easily into the second phase. Phase III is a transitioning out of the diet back to a more conventional diet (albeit, still healthy). Hopefully this will help someone else! Some hints that you might have a candida imbalance are the following:

abdominal gas and bloating

headaches

migraines

excessive fatigue

cravings for alcohol

anxiety

vaginitis

rectal itching

cravings for sweets

inability to think clearly or concentrate

hyperactivity

mood swings

diarrhea

constipation

hyperactivity

itching

acne

eczema

depression

sinus inflammation

pre-menstrual syndrome

dizziness

poor memory

persistent cough

earaches

low sex drive

muscle weakness

irritability

learning difficulties

sensitivity to fragrances and/or other chemicals

cognitive impairment

thrush

athlete's foot

sore throat

indigestion

acid reflux

chronic pain
spencer
Star Member
Star Member

Re: Candida Diet Working Wonders

Postby fanny » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:07 pm

Good for you and I admire your tenacity at following this diet. I am a vegetarian and do not eat dairy, but have difficulty in giving up my one beloved cup of iced coffee!!
All the best
Fanny
fanny
Moderator Team

Postby Angy79 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:11 pm

Good for you!
Have you ever tried Pau d'Arco? It's said to kill Candida Albicans. Might speed up the healing process. I've tried it but since I coulldn't keep the diet up it didn't do very much.
34 year old female, diagnosed with rosacea nov 2007
Subtype 2 (p&p) with minor flushing (mostly stress/emotion related)
Subtype 4 (occular rosacea) / "meibomian gland dysfunction"
Angy79
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Postby oldredlady » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:30 pm

Spencer, this sounds like it's working for you, congrats! :)

Angy, I hear you, diets have always been my downfall, can't seem to stick to one for very long, guess I'll have to hope the peppermint tea does the trick. :)

Best wishes,
oldredlady
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Postby Angy79 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:09 pm

ORL - finally someone who understands the diet issue! I don't get how people can do those terribly restrictive diets, I just don't have the willpower to do it.
But much respect for the people who can, surely.
34 year old female, diagnosed with rosacea nov 2007
Subtype 2 (p&p) with minor flushing (mostly stress/emotion related)
Subtype 4 (occular rosacea) / "meibomian gland dysfunction"
Angy79
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Postby spencer » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:11 pm

Thanks for all of the support! It took me almost 3 years to actually do this diet properly. I would start the diet and then cheat once or twice a week. This would be enough to keep the yeast alive and, as a result, the inflammation would continue. I think it worked this time around, because I did a lot of research ahead of time. I had some recipes on hand, for example, that would replace my favourite carb treats. Instead of making pancakes with spelt, I would use almond meal. I would also make biscuits with coconut flour, which doesn't have a very high glycemic index compared to most other flours. I've replaced grain-based crackers with flax & veggie crackers, which I then put in a dehydrator. I've finally mastered a really amazing kale chip recipe as well. Kale chips make a really good snack.

I have a really unconventional diet, to be sure. It is comprised mostly of just meat, veggies, nuts and seeds. It is amazing, though, how many foods you can actually eat on this diet. But, yes, it does take a lot of preparation and you can't eat out very often. And you have to either like to prepare/cook foods or at least want this really bad! I didn't do this just for the rosacea, but just for the fact that my health was a little unpredictable. I found that I would feel amazing one day and then run down and fatigued the next. I also found that even though my rosacea was generally under control, my knees felt practically arthritic. I had trouble ascending stairs and then other days I'd be fine. I wanted to feel consistently well.

This is not a diet you have to stay on forever. Once symptoms are under control, you can begin incorporating "forbidden" foods back into your diet. But you still have to watch out for overly processed foods. These are good for no one, of course, but especially for someone with a history of candida overgrowth. If anyone tries the diet, be sure to check out the book I recommended in my previous post. You don't want to end up with any nutritional deficiencies while doing this diet. It's important to be prepared before stepping off into the deep end. Hence, the Phase 1 portion of the diet (i.e. the prep phase before moving to Phase 2).
spencer
Star Member
Star Member

Postby spencer » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:14 pm

Angy, I haven't tried the Pau D'Arco btw. I might try that next. It's definitely good to switch things around! :)
spencer
Star Member
Star Member

Postby freeme3 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:28 am

spencer wrote:Thanks for all of the support! It took me almost 3 years to actually do this diet properly. I would start the diet and then cheat once or twice a week. This would be enough to keep the yeast alive and, as a result, the inflammation would continue. I think it worked this time around, because I did a lot of research ahead of time. I had some recipes on hand, for example, that would replace my favourite carb treats. Instead of making pancakes with spelt, I would use almond meal. I would also make biscuits with coconut flour, which doesn't have a very high glycemic index compared to most other flours. I've replaced grain-based crackers with flax & veggie crackers, which I then put in a dehydrator. I've finally mastered a really amazing kale chip recipe as well. Kale chips make a really good snack.

I have a really unconventional diet, to be sure. It is comprised mostly of just meat, veggies, nuts and seeds. It is amazing, though, how many foods you can actually eat on this diet. But, yes, it does take a lot of preparation and you can't eat out very often. And you have to either like to prepare/cook foods or at least want this really bad! I didn't do this just for the rosacea, but just for the fact that my health was a little unpredictable. I found that I would feel amazing one day and then run down and fatigued the next. I also found that even though my rosacea was generally under control, my knees felt practically arthritic. I had trouble ascending stairs and then other days I'd be fine. I wanted to feel consistently well.

This is not a diet you have to stay on forever. Once symptoms are under control, you can begin incorporating "forbidden" foods back into your diet. But you still have to watch out for overly processed foods. These are good for no one, of course, but especially for someone with a history of candida overgrowth. If anyone tries the diet, be sure to check out the book I recommended in my previous post. You don't want to end up with any nutritional deficiencies while doing this diet. It's important to be prepared before stepping off into the deep end. Hence, the Phase 1 portion of the diet (i.e. the prep phase before moving to Phase 2).

Hi Spencer,

That is AWESOME-- good for you! I am really happy for you. I too, have been thinking about trying a candida diet-- I recently finally buckled down to cutting out carbs, grains, sugar- I kept falling off the wagon but I have been doing it for almost 5 days and but tonight I flushed because I was in a hot room but I guess I can't expect it to help me in just a few days. My body has to get back in balance, I guess. I am going to check out that book you recommended on Amazon because i would like to feel amazing too. I may give the Candida diet a go.

I am concerned about summer coming because I have trouble with warm rooms.. but maybe warm rooms and summer heat aren't the same and that I would be ok, it seems that if I am in a room and do any type of exertion or get emotional, I will flush. I guess the combination of the two is what caused it. But am I supposed to stay emotionless and sedimentary when I am in a heated place? I find that every time I have a flushing episode, I get down again but I know that being negative is not going to get me anyhere.

Anyway, I am so glad that the candida diet is working for you and I think that i am going to give it a shot too. How is your flushing been?

Go Spencer, you rock!! (dance2)
freeme3
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Postby freeme3 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:02 am

Hi Spencer!

I am kind of eating paleo too.. here's my post on it:
http://rosacea-support.org/community/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=3595&p=25610#p25610

How long has it taken you to see a difference in your skin?

Happy Easter (hug)
freeme3
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Postby spencer » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:57 pm

Hey,

I noticed a difference within about a week, but I was already eating a pretty healthy diet. I think the biggest difference was that I had incorporated natural anti-fungals (i.e. olive leaf, grapefruit seed extract, etc.). I also upped my probiotics and prebiotics.

Around week 2, I developed a rash of small red bumps along my left cheekbone. Also, the itching around my jawline got worse. And there are times when I feel utterly exhausted. I think all of these symptoms are due to a die-off reaction. I am feeling better overall, however, so I know I'm moving in the right direction. I notice I feel more emotionally resilient. In the past, I would have worried more about these symptoms, but I can now see the bigger picture. There's more to life than just my face. I may not have perfect skin, but other things have improved (mood, joints, sleep, etc.), so I'm trying to focus on that.

Good for you for sticking to the diet! Like I mentioned above, it took me a very long time before I could ever do the diet properly. I would always cheat. If you have candida, you are just prolonging the misery...even if you only cheat twice a week! I really hope it goes well for you. Your skin will improve, no doubt. If you are not feeding your body with inflammatory foods, it can only improve. Be careful with microwaves, by the way. I recall reading an article about how microwaved food increases inflammation in the body, in the same that overcooked food does. I will try and find that article. Also, watch how you react to raw foods. Too many raw foods can be overtaxing for an already compromised digestive system. I had to resort to steamed veggies for a while. I guess you'll figure out what works.

Good luck! :)
spencer
Star Member
Star Member

Next

Return to Foods & Diet