SIBO diet/treatment

There is a lot of interest in how what you eat can affect your rosacea. Some foods can cause a flareup in rosacea symptoms. Also the makeup of your diet in general will affect your health for sure and also your rosacea.

SIBO diet/treatment

Postby Artist » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:14 pm

Hi Gang: I"m on Cipro right now for a bladder infection and guess what. My rosacea symptoms are getting better and better. I'm further convinced SIBO (small intestinal bacterial overgrowth) plays a big part in my rosacea. See SIBO treatment info here.

http://www.ei-resource.org/treatment-op ... treatment/

Note that the antibiotics best used to treat it are the same as for rosacea (metro and tetracycline), and that the diet recommended is, you guessed it, low sugar and carbs.

"a diet free of simple sugars and grains/cereals and low in fruit and starchy vegetables depending on individual tolerance. This diet restricts the nutrition available for bacteria in the upper GI tract to proliferate and reduces the excess alcohols and organic acids that are produced as a result of bacterial fermentation."

Cipro is another used for SIBO, although I'm not sure why it's not been tried for rosacea.

There is another antibiotic used for SIBO that doesn't cross the intestines, so it doesn't go systemic. Rifaximin. Seems that would be ideal.. There was a recent study with this drug and rosacea. I'll post in a bit..Jack is up!

Artist
Artist
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Re: SIBO diet/treatment

Postby yumecouk » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:27 pm

thanks for the interesting info.
I may have another natural remedy to add to this, depending on the results i get over the next few weeks. I just saw a naturopath in the south of France while vacationing and she also believes there is a link between rosacea and the gut. He gave me capsules of Mare Milk. Apparently Mare Milk is quiet big in France and eastern Europe where it has been used for years in hospitals. It's the closest thing to human milk and it is loaded with vitamins, protein, enzymes, amino acids, minerals and other goodies not found in regular milk. More importantly, it is not allergenic so everyone should be able to handle it.
But related to this thread, it plays a much bigger role than a probiotic by rebalancing the gut flora and by also repairing the gut at the same time. At least that's the claim.
Will let you know if it is as helpful as they claim.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/Science/H ... m=storylhs
yumecouk
Apprentice Member
Apprentice Member

Postby Artist » Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:31 am

Here is the study abstract. It shows more rosaceans have SIBO, and that rifaximin cleared breakouts in 85% of the rosacea sufferers. 85% - that's HUGE! Here is the best part. Rifaximin does NOT cross into the body. It stays in the intestine. So, it doesn't even get to the skin. This is significant because we know the effects are due to gettting the bacteria out of the small intesting, not the anti-inflammatory action on the skin (since it doesn't get to the skin). -Artist

"After SIBO eradication we obtained a complete recovery of cutaneous lesions in 17/20 (85%) and a relevant improvement in 2/20 (10%) patients, while those treated with placebo remained unchanged (14/16) or even worsened (2/16), (p<0,001). These latter patients were subsequently switched to rifaximin therapy with complete resolution of rosacea in 14/16 and significant improvement in the remaining 2 cases."

From: https://www1.uegw.org/guest/ID90f7a8654 ... ABSID=3249

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is the whole thing in case the link changes in the future:

INTRODUCTION: Several pathogenetic factors have been implicated in the development of rosacea, but the role of intestinal bacteria has never been investigated.

AIMS & METHODS: We aimed at assessing the presence of small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO) in patients with rosacea and the clinical effectiveness of its eradication.We enrolled 60 consecutive rosacea patients (43 females, 17 males; mean age 52 ± 15) and 60 healthy controls, sex- and age-matched. All patients and controls underwent lactulose and glucose breath tests (BTs), in order to assess the presence of SIBO. Patients positive for SIBO were randomized to receive rifaximin 1200 mg/die for 10 days or placebo.Eradication was assessed with the same BTs after one month of the end of antibiotic therapy. Two independent dermatologists evaluated clinical features of rosacea before and after treatment on the basis of an objective scale.
RESULTS: We found an increased prevalence of SIBO in patients with rosacea compared to controls (40/60 vs 3/60, respectively, p<0.001). Oro-cecal transit time resulted significantly delayed in patients with SIBO than in controls (p<0.01). After SIBO eradication we obtained a complete recovery of cutaneous lesions in 17/20 (85%) and a relevant improvement in 2/20 (10%) patients, while those treated with placebo remained unchanged (14/16) or even worsened (2/16), (p<0,001). These latter patients were subsequently switched to rifaximin therapy with complete resolution of rosacea in 14/16 and significant improvement in the remaining 2 cases.

CONCLUSION: Our study shows the high prevalence of SIBO in patients with rosacea and emphasizes the clinical effectiveness of its eradication in inducing almost complete remission of cutaneous lesions.

From: https://www1.uegw.org/guest/ID90f7a8654 ... ABSID=3249
Artist
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Postby Artist » Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:32 am

yumecouk: That is so interesting. Did he believe the problem was SIBO? Is that what you are being treated for? Any improvements in your rosacea?
Artist
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Postby yumecouk » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:53 pm

85%? that is indeed a big number...

I think most naturopath or alternative medicine practictioners tend to establish a link between the gut and the facial skin problems (along with many other problems). I saw an acupuncturist last year and she immediately said that the first thing to fix for the face to get better is the gut.

Same with this naturopath. She identified the intestine as my weak point and the thing to heal first and foremost for the rest to improve. So far, no change...i am going to go get a stool test soon to check for bad bacteria overgrowth...i am also going to try Pau D'Arco and finish my course of Mare Milk to see if it helps...if not, i might just give Rifaximin a shot...
And i have to stop eating so much brown rice. I don't eat any sugar, processed food, gluten...but i eat lots of brown rice and i guess these bacteria must love it....

thanks for the interesting research into SIBO.
yumecouk
Apprentice Member
Apprentice Member

Postby Artist » Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:23 pm

.....and thanks you for sharing! Be sure to keep us updated on how you do. Cheers! Artist
Artist
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Postby Kylron » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:32 pm

I always thought anti-biotics worked because of the anti inflamitory benefits of the medicine?
Kylron
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby jastina » Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:03 am

Well, I am on a diet for six months and lost a lot of weight. Anyone ever have problems with their stomach while dieting? I have been on the pill for 5 years now. For the last two months my cycle has had the usual cramps but wasn't heavy for many days. So I didn't know if dieting and exercise can lead to this. I am sexually active but we use a second form of protection along with me being on the pill.
potential spam link removed from signature.
jastina
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Quiller » Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:57 am

I have a bottle of oregano oil that's been sitting in my cupboard forever - does anyone know how to use it?

I'm asking on this thread because it's supposed to be antibacterial, so it might do the same thing as rifaximin. But I don't want to OD on the stuff.
KNOWLEDGE = POWER
Quiller
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Postby dazza » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:00 am

I'm new to this, so hello all.

Am really interested in the rifaximine treatment, in fact I have the pills & am ready to go. I saw on the site somewhere that Artist had a positive response to this treatment - Artist is that so? And were the results permanent?

In addition to papular rosacea I also have IBS, so this drug is meant to help with that also.
dazza
I'm new here
I'm new here

Next

Return to Foods & Diet