Has anyone tried ingesting baking soda - water?

There is a lot of interest in how what you eat can affect your rosacea. Some foods can cause a flareup in rosacea symptoms. Also the makeup of your diet in general will affect your health for sure and also your rosacea.

Re: Has anyone tried ingesting baking soda - water?

Postby LoisAnne » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:23 am

Actually, baking soda in water is an old remedy for getting rid of indigestion so it is strange it causes problems! I took it one evening and then forgot about it but you have inspired me to try again, so here I am, typing and drinking a glass of soda water. The box does give cautions and for me, one tsp in a glass of water once a day would be the about as much as I should drink. It does say not to take it for more than 2 weeks but that is the maximum dose, don't know if one can take a tsp a day for a prolonged time. It is really fascinating to hear about it shortening the duration of a cold! That is certainly worth trying but I cannot figure out why it would affect a virus. It does not taste toooo bad. :P
LoisAnne
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Postby oldredlady » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:50 pm

LoisAnne, that's exactly what my Mom said, her grandmother used to give it to her as a small child for indigestion. I chalk my gas/bloating up to IBS, which causes strange reactions to perfectly normal things sometimes, (soda is another doozie for me). Am trying 1 tsp a day in water, so far, so good, (knock wood), I guess 2 was just too much for my system.

Best wishes,
oldredlady
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Postby LoisAnne » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:18 pm

ORL, That makes sense that your mom would know that, since my daughter is your age! (and I don't consider her "old", by the way) Let's hope the soda will do something positive for us too. I am so tired of these itchy icky bumps!
LoisAnne
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Postby oldredlady » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:28 am

LoisAnne wrote:ORL, That makes sense that your mom would know that, since my daughter is your age! (and I don't consider her "old", by the way) Let's hope the soda will do something positive for us too. I am so tired of these itchy icky bumps!

Fingers, toes and eyeballs crossed! :)

Best wishes,
oldredlady
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Postby milkmaid » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:42 pm

I went on vacation and didn't keep up with the baking soda and ended up with the terrible cold anyway. I do think it helps a lot with the swelling and maybe even cleaner pores (not sure). Now that I am back home I have started using it again, 1/2 tsp. in 1 cup of warm water 3x day for the cold. While on vacation and getting sickly, I picked up some carrot juice at the store-just to keep my veggies in, I think it is helping my skin very much. Make sure you read the baking soda box, it does have directions.
Good luck all.
milkmaid
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Postby LoisAnne » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:51 pm

Oh poo! I forgot about the baking soda! That is one of my problems, I get these suggestions from this list and plan to follow through and see what happens....and then I forget. :P At the moment I have a nice box of baking soda in the cupboard and a can of wheat bran on the counter....and applesauce in the refrigerator....and I forget to use any of them! So, back to the baking soda today!
LoisAnne
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Postby milkmaid » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:24 pm

I'm just wondering if this is helping anyone?
Since I went on vacation, it was only for 2 days-but much fun, my skin has progressively gotten better. I'm not sure if it is the baking soda however if I try to skip the afternoon dose I do start to get a bit more red. Other things that could be helping: carrot juice and acia juice that I bought to take on vac. and am still drinking about a cup a day of both, the dermalogica sunscreen, and maybe the huge dose of vit d I got from the sun for two full days in the sun (I did wear sunscrean though).
I have to say that on Sunday, Mon, Tues, Wed and today I have had to wear very little of the tinted suncrean. My face hasn't been this clear in years!!
Please let me know, thanks.
milkmaid
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Postby milkmaid » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:52 am

Ok, I tried going without the baking soda for almost a day and sure enough it comes right back. Also, warming the water seems to be important too. So if I stick with 4 oz of warm water with 1/2 tsp baking soda 3 times a day (I don't concern myself with drinking it before meals I just do it morning, noon or so, and sometime before I go to bed) it seems to greatly reduce and almost eliminate my rosacea. That's insane!! Is my body just too acidic? How could this be helping so much? All the money I have spent in the last 10 years fighting this and a dollar box of baking soda helps tremendously. Anyway, I will keep posting on my progress and try to upload some pics.
milkmaid
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Postby mel63 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:04 pm

Does the water have to be warm?
mel63
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Postby oldredlady » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:05 am

I keep forgetting, too, I don't know how, as the baking soda is in the fridge in plain sight.

Starting again today, will try to ignore the bloating/gas and see what happens, (fingers, toes and eyes crossed). :)

Best wishes,
oldredlady
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

PreviousNext

Return to Foods & Diet