Has anyone tried ingesting baking soda - water?

There is a lot of interest in how what you eat can affect your rosacea. Some foods can cause a flareup in rosacea symptoms. Also the makeup of your diet in general will affect your health for sure and also your rosacea.

Has anyone tried ingesting baking soda - water?

Postby milkmaid » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:44 pm

I was out with my hubby last weekend and I met a couple, the guy was in pharmacology. At some point he started talking about baking soda being a cheap treatment (in Europe and some of the 3rd world countries) for colds, flu, and even certain types of cancer. He said something about cold viruses, flu viruses and cancer all needing an acidic environment to grow and when you neutralize them they die. The place we were in was very loud and I was having a difficult time hearing everything he said and even more of a difficult time trying to ask any questions. I have met this couple before many times over a 2 year period, they are a part of a large circle of friends we get together with about once a month. Anyway, my husband was sick with a cold which I was also starting to get. When I got up they next day, I had a bit of a headache from too many drinks the night before and didn't think about that conversation until much later in the day. I did a bit of research on it- it's very hard to tell legit websites - but I did read some about this and decided what can it hurt? So I put 1 tsp. of baking soda in a glass of water. Next day, 1 in the morning and another in the afternoon. My hubby said he would wait to try it - he is very picky about taste - I can't even get him to drink Airborne for his colds. Anyway, I did this every day for the past 5 days and my cold is completely gone. My husbands is terrible, has turned into a chest cold. Finally, yesterday he said - give me some of that stuff your drinking. We'll see if it helps him.

Anyway, my point is, that it may be too early to tell, but this seems to be fantastic for my rosacea, has greatly reduced redness and swelling. I have read a lot about the body being very acidic with rosacea. I wonder if this will help? One of the websites I came across said that baking soda works without causing damage to the body. I do wonder if it can be harmfull in the long run.
Anyone have any experience with this.
Any comments?
milkmaid
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Re: Has anyone tried ingesting baking soda - water?

Postby fanny » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:41 pm

Hi
I love it-wouldn't it be wonderful if all it took were baking soda? Seriously I think you might have a point as far as acidity but I have not heard off this before.
All the best
Fanny
fanny
Moderator Team

Postby oldredlady » Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:12 pm

Wow, that sounds great, will have to try this. I use baking soda (in addition to toothpaste) on a regular basis to keep my teeth from staining too badly, (big coffee drinker here), and it's used in a lot of recipes, I can't think it would be harmful.

Best wishes,
oldredlady
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Postby CrabbyCathy » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:13 am

Found this?

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2359&p=17650&hilit=baking+soda#p17650

I think it's also used as a natural antacid. But the taste! :P

Can't wait to hear more updates! :)
Cathy (makeup)
See my blog for tips and helpful links!
Please note: Any advice offered here is not meant to replace medical advice. Always see your dermatologist.
CrabbyCathy
Moderator Team

Postby oldredlady » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:59 pm

Cathy, tried it the other day, tastes a little salty, but not bad. Bought a box last night to use for this, am going to try it when taking my vitamins twice daily, will see how it goes.

Best wishes,
oldredlady
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Postby milkmaid » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:23 pm

Well, the baking soda is working really well for me, just hope it lasts-I have found with this ailment that something that works well for even a year or more can suddenly stop working??? It seems to help with overall redness, swelling, and I know this sounds strange, but it seems that after the first 3 days any acne bumps that I had, very few- the dermalogica sensitive cleanser that I use got most of that under control some time ago, completely cleared (also on my upper chest and back that I get from some soaps, sorry sooo gross - all completely gone and my back is as smooth as a babies). My eyes are LESS red (over the last year they have become so uncontrolably RED) overall but get worse with coffee or tea consumption. I have found a direct link (for me) between eye redness and coffee consumption - why drink it the you ask? Because I LOVE IT!!!
I also feel better, more energy it seems, and have been able to keep the cold away which my husband still has (will be 2 weeks for him this Friday), he doesn't keep up with any treatment, my daughter has the cold also (I have to threaten or bribe her to drink the baking soda lol, so I gave up) and my 20 yr old son has the cold too started for him 2 days ago, he is all game for the baking soda and woke up this morning feeling much better (he drank 1 tsp in a glass of water yesterday morning and also last night and again this morning).
I'm not sure if I mentioned this but the first day of use I could swear I felt like a cleansing in my kidney's.

Anyway, just thought I would pass this on, something to try without spending all of our hard earned $$ and having harmfull side effects.

P.S. I do recall trying a baking soda paste or solution directly on my face in the past without seeing benefits. May or may not give it a try again.
milkmaid
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Postby oldredlady » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:42 pm

Wow, milkmaid, that is impressive! Definitely going to keep on with this one, have my fingers crossed I do even half as well as you have. :)

Best wishes,
oldredlady
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Postby oldredlady » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:16 pm

Been doing the baking soda in water for 2 days now, no difference in redness yet, though I remain hopeful. Only one thing, it gives me terrible gas/bloating, does anyone else have this problem and, if so, how do you deal with it?

Thanks and best wishes,
oldredlady
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Postby milkmaid » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:48 pm

I go pretty easy with it, trying not to upset the body's natural balance. It may have increased gas a little, but I guess most of my comes right after drinking it in the way of burps, lol.
milkmaid
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Postby oldredlady » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:33 pm

Thanks, milkmaid, thought it was just me. :) Will try once a day and see if that's better.

Best wishes,
oldredlady
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Next

Return to Foods & Diet