Trigger foods and reaction time

There is a lot of interest in how what you eat can affect your rosacea. Some foods can cause a flareup in rosacea symptoms. Also the makeup of your diet in general will affect your health for sure and also your rosacea.

Trigger foods and reaction time

Postby ohdarnit!987 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:38 pm

Hi everyone,

I was wondering what others have experienced as reaction times to the onset of rosacea symptoms after eating suspected or known trigger foods. I'm trying to identify my food triggers and finding it difficult to determine if I'm reacting to something that I recently ate or reacting to something I ate some time ago (such as the day before). I just had a flare-up on my cheeks tonight and I suspect it was yesterday's red wine (yes, yes, I know...but it was irresistible and delicious!).

Does a 24-hour delay seem plausible? I'd love to hear your experiences. Thanks so much :)
ohdarnit!987
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: Trigger foods and reaction time

Postby LoisAnne » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:44 am

Oh, I totally understand about the red wine....I had some last night too, at a book discussion group. Unfortunately it did not make me any more intellectual in the discussion but it tasted so good! (;)

For me, 24 hours later is about right for a reaction and sometimes even longer. But, I don't flush, I get papules. They usually break out the next day after eating chocolate or sometimes the day after that. You are right, it is hard to make the connection sometimes between what you eat and what happens but with chocolate I can almost be sure I will get a new red bump....or more. Then, other times I will get 3 or 4 red bumps and not have a clue what caused them. That is the most frustrating!
LoisAnne
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Postby CrabbyCathy » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:54 am

Lately, I have a reaction anywhere from almost immediately afterwards to an hour or two. Sometimes it will take overnight. For some people, it can take 2-3 days, which does make it hard to figure out what is the trigger food.
Cathy (makeup)
See my blog for tips and helpful links!
Please note: Any advice offered here is not meant to replace medical advice. Always see your dermatologist.
CrabbyCathy
Moderator Team

Postby oopsiedaisy » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:44 am

ohdarnit!987 wrote:Hi everyone,

I was wondering what others have experienced as reaction times to the onset of rosacea symptoms after eating suspected or known trigger foods. I'm trying to identify my food triggers and finding it difficult to determine if I'm reacting to something that I recently ate or reacting to something I ate some time ago (such as the day before). I just had a flare-up on my cheeks tonight and I suspect it was yesterday's red wine (yes, yes, I know...but it was irresistible and delicious!).

Does a 24-hour delay seem plausible? I'd love to hear your experiences. Thanks so much :)

---

All I can say is that on the very, very rare occasion when I've dared to have a glass of wine, I've flared within 12 hours of consuming it.

Needless to say, I only have a glass of wine maybe 1x per year because of this.
oopsiedaisy
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Postby ohdarnit!987 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:14 am

Thanks for the responses.

I'm finding that determining food triggers could potentially take forever but through trial and error some pattern is bound to emerge. Unfortunately when I flare up from something it's not one or two bumps it's an entire rash/papule-covered crazy itchy area (like a whole cheek, or both cheeks, or my entire forehead). I realized that I'd also eaten brownies the past two days as well, and eaten cheese, and yogurt, and ok, to be honest, just about every single food listed as a potential trigger. And I was in the sun. And I sweated. Sometimes you just have to throw your hands up and drink the wine I guess! :)

Thanks again for the input!
ohdarnit!987
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby oopsiedaisy » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:57 am

ohdarnit!987 wrote:Thanks for the responses.

I'm finding that determining food triggers could potentially take forever but through trial and error some pattern is bound to emerge. Unfortunately when I flare up from something it's not one or two bumps it's an entire rash/papule-covered crazy itchy area (like a whole cheek, or both cheeks, or my entire forehead). I realized that I'd also eaten brownies the past two days as well, and eaten cheese, and yogurt, and ok, to be honest, just about every single food listed as a potential trigger. And I was in the sun. And I sweated. Sometimes you just have to throw your hands up and drink the wine I guess! :)

Thanks again for the input!

---

This is why I always say I really cannot identify any food triggers. Because it's like: OK----am I flaring because of the cream in my coffee, or the coffee I drank, or because I ate pasta, or because I had dessert, or because the temperature has changed, or because I am stressed about work, or because I slept too little / too much or because I lingered in the shower or because....

I just think, at the end of the day, it's literally impossible to tell.

Some things are no-brainers, i.e. - heat, sun, etc.

But food triggers?

I really think it's kind of impossible, unless you have all sorts of time to experiment by eliminating entire food groups, reintroducing them, and so on.

Personally, I just don't have time to do that.
oopsiedaisy
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Postby CrabbyCathy » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:39 am

It took a really long time for me to both pinpoint my food triggers and to realize that I even had any. Sure, I could have done the eliminate-it-all-and-introduce-foods-in-one-by-one, but I didn't. I kind of wish I had, to prevent damage to my skin (my rosacea is 90% food related) and the spreading of my rosacea, but nothing I can do about it now. AND, just when I thought I had all my triggers figured out, new ones cropped up, causing me to think, what the heck did I eat? "Was it the turkey bacon, or the goat cheese? Please not the goat cheese. Or is it because I just stressed out because of x and y?" :P

Maybe an easier way is to eliminate ONE food at a time, and check your reactions? Eliminate spicy foods. One week later, still flaring? Okay, it's something else. Eliminate dairy. etc. etc.

Here is my list, just because: cow dairy, tomato sauce and products (fresh are okay), vinegar, all citrus fruits, MSG, nitrates, soda (my beloved Pepsi), cocoa, cinnamon, spicy foods. That's a huge list if you really think about it, and it's very hard to order in restaurants (did you know they sometimes cook "regular" items in butter--example, IHOP?) I have to be the annoying one questioning the waitress, but all I say is I have an allergy to dairy and I get hives, and they usually understand.

After all of that--there are people like my best friend, who have absolutely no food triggers. None.
Cathy (makeup)
See my blog for tips and helpful links!
Please note: Any advice offered here is not meant to replace medical advice. Always see your dermatologist.
CrabbyCathy
Moderator Team

Postby Mike T » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:48 am

It might be time consuming and unpleasant but reverting to a staple diet which does not affect your Rosacea and then reintroducing suspected trigger foods one by one will be worth the hassle if your Rosacea symptoms turn out to be significantly affected by diet.
Mike T
Moderator Team

Postby fanny » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:46 pm

Mike gave good advise, start with a bland diet and then introduce new foods one by one.
All the best
Fanny
fanny
Moderator Team

Postby oopsiedaisy » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:48 pm

Mike T wrote:It might be time consuming and unpleasant but reverting to a staple diet which does not affect your Rosacea and then reintroducing suspected trigger foods one by one will be worth the hassle if your Rosacea symptoms turn out to be significantly affected by diet.

Mike,

I am willing to try this, but may I ask some advice?

What would be the base "staple" diet that you start with? And how to you introduce / eliminate the various foods to figure this out?

I have no experience with this and it seems overwhelming....
oopsiedaisy
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Next

Return to Foods & Diet