Trigger foods and reaction time

There is a lot of interest in how what you eat can affect your rosacea. Some foods can cause a flareup in rosacea symptoms. Also the makeup of your diet in general will affect your health for sure and also your rosacea.

Re: Trigger foods and reaction time

Postby saralk3 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:27 pm

whew! glad to see these questions here. i am newly diagnosed with rosacea and really having a difficult time with trigger foods and reaction time. have been feeling pretty down about it the past two days. i am getting ready to eliminate foods as i have decided for me the best thing would be to try a rosacea safe diet and then add things back. though i'm also not quite yet sure what a rosacea safe diet is. hope others with more experience will continue to chime in.
saralk3
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Misha » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:49 pm

I have nothing useful to contribute except to say... ARGH!

I hate the idea of giving up foods!! I already eat super duper healthy and reasonably, I love all the vitamins and antioxidants and good fats in my diet, and here I am seeing all these veggies might be triggers and spicy foods and any fat at all one guy said on one of these forums. My head is spinning from the possibilities, and I really don't want to give up any of these things. I don't want to give up tomato sauce, full of licopene (sp?) and avocados full of fiber and minerals and healthy fats. I think I might rather be beet red than give up all these foods.

Harumph.

I am going to try like every other thing I possibly can first, that's for sure!
Misha
Apprentice Member
Apprentice Member

Postby fanny » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:31 pm

Not all listed trigger foods are triggers for everyone. For example I eat avocados all the time with no bad reaction. I don't react well to tomatoes but then I have never done well with them, even as a child. It is more a case of taking note of reactions,if any, and then deciding what to do about it.
all the best
Fanny
fanny
Moderator Team

Postby oldredlady » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:00 pm

Agree with Fanny, not all trigger foods are problematic for all rosaceans. I don't personally have many reactions to foods except excessive sugar, and that's not good for anyone, though I can't resist the choccies sometimes. :)

IMHO it's better to test one food at a time for a period of time to see how you react to it, rather then trying to test and/or eliminate a whole lot of foods at once; it's easier and that way you'll have a better idea of what the problem food, (if there is one), is.

Best wishes,
oldredlady
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Postby Misha » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:18 pm

Okay, fair enough. Don't have to give up everything, that's a relief. :) Honestly I don't THINK I have any food triggers then, except occasionally alcohol, or the absolute spiciest of spicy peppers. So that's not so bad.

Take care, --M.
Misha
Apprentice Member
Apprentice Member

Postby CrabbyCathy » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:36 am

My best friend--NO trigger foods. Me--every single darned food (or so it seems) under the sun. I avoid going out with friends, because it's so hard to find something to eat. I'm keeping my outings to Starbucks, where I can have tea. Period.
Cathy (makeup)
See my blog for tips and helpful links!
Please note: Any advice offered here is not meant to replace medical advice. Always see your dermatologist.
CrabbyCathy
Moderator Team

Postby Misha » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:38 pm

My heart goes out to you, Cathy. Truly. Food=nutrition=health and life! Not to mention the simple pleasure of eating. (And I admire your discipline if you can keep yourself from eating so many trigger foods.)
Misha
Apprentice Member
Apprentice Member

Postby Rochellek » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:39 pm

Hi, I am newly diagnoses with rosacea. When my derm told me ...I thought okay a red face. My face has always been red but now I was getting p&ps. That is what was reallybothering me. Then the burning, irritation of products and feeling as I had a stiff face started. I do believe the summer season started it but even when I stay inside for days my face is still red. So right now I am trying to figure out my triggers. I believe spices such as paprika might be a problem. It is really in a lot of food I love such as salami, pork and even cheese it's. I am a relatively healthy eater. I would hate to give up yogurt because of all the benefits. Does anyone have a problem with preservatives like msg? Also any advice would be appreciated. Trying to figure it out. Thanks...Rochelle
Rochellek
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby CrabbyCathy » Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:37 am

I do have a problem with MSG, but I didn't before. There are just more and more things I can't eat, as time goes on.

Try to eliminate one thing at a time, and pay attention to how your skin reacts. It's very different for everyone. You can see the "common" trigger foods in the links below.

http://www.rosacea.org/patients/materia ... sindex.php

http://www.rosaceafacts.com/Rosacea-Triggers
Cathy (makeup)
See my blog for tips and helpful links!
Please note: Any advice offered here is not meant to replace medical advice. Always see your dermatologist.
CrabbyCathy
Moderator Team

Previous

Return to Foods & Diet