Coffee question

There is a lot of interest in how what you eat can affect your rosacea. Some foods can cause a flareup in rosacea symptoms. Also the makeup of your diet in general will affect your health for sure and also your rosacea.

Re: Coffee question

Postby oopsiedaisy » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:29 pm

CrabbyCathy wrote:I thought I'd get a clear answer googling that, but no! (rofl)

According to this (you have to scan one of the wiki articles linked, and get a headache), it's a vasodilator. BUT what could affect some people could be that, the heat, or the dairy added.

Personally, I used to be able to drink it with caffeine, but now I stick to decaf, and not piping hot, just very warm.

---

You are right that the answer isn't clear.

Look:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency ... 002338.htm

I swear it's a vasoconstrictor! LOL. I could still be wrong though... (redface)
oopsiedaisy
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Postby CrabbyCathy » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:19 am

Coffee=yummy. I know that much for sure! (;)
Cathy (makeup)
See my blog for tips and helpful links!
Please note: Any advice offered here is not meant to replace medical advice. Always see your dermatologist.
CrabbyCathy
Moderator Team

Postby David Pascoe » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:30 am

I was given a special recognition via a lifetime discount on fresh roasted coffee beans because I am such a good customer of my favourite coffee maker.

When I calculated how much I have spent in the last 2.5 years on coffee at their shop I was, well, shocked.

not addicted, I promise, I just know what I like ....
Get Rosacea News here: https://rosacea-support.org
David Pascoe
Moderator Team

Postby oldredlady » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:18 pm

LOL! :) We all have our vices... :)

Best to all,
oldredlady
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Postby Mum3 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:58 pm

oopsiedaisy wrote:I read somewhere (I think?) that caffeine is actually a vaso-constrictor , meaning it makes the blood vessels contract rather than dilate. (Someone correct me if I am wrong).

I therefore am inclined to agree with others who speculate that it might be the temperature of the coffee rather than caffeine per se.

I read that we should avoid coffee on a list with different food to avoid but because of the heat. There is an article here that I read about it
http://members.rosacea-research-and-dev ... wtopic=933

Mum3
Mum3
Apprentice Member
Apprentice Member

Postby LoisAnne » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:08 am

Thank you for that information, Mum3! While I don't flush very often, I have been worried that coffee might cause the papule outbreaks that I do get. I love coffee and don't see how I could make myself get out of bed if I could not stumble into the kitchen and make a pot of coffee! Without it, I would surely |-) I could not resist using that smilie! I don't think the papules would be caused simply by the heat of the beverage....so I am thinking that coffee is harmless to me. Whee! (dance2)

By the way, having lived for a year in London with my family, I am "mum" to my daughters. Does mum3 mean you have 3 children? Just curious. While we were there my daughters gave me a mug for Mother's Day...but it says "mum" on it. I use it for my morning coffee all the time!
LoisAnne
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Postby Mum3 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:48 am

Hi
You could always try to cut down on the cooffe and see if there is a difference. I myself drink plenty of tea, I love tea but I have cut down on it.
How ever green tea should be good but does not taste so good without sugar..I try to avoid all sugar but its really difficult, atleast I did cut it down a lot.
You could also try to drink the coffee less hot.
Yes I have 3 children in age 3 months to 4 years.I am a homemum with them, so to cut down on stress might be difficult.
I lived in the UK for 4 years before I moved back to Sweden I loved the weather over there green all year around!
mum3
Mum3
Apprentice Member
Apprentice Member

Postby coniston » Sun May 27, 2012 7:42 pm

I stopped drinking coffee and its made no difference stll get red figure its the heat as I have a red face when I waken up in the mornings. Sometimes in the evening after a meal. Or stress trying to change that one.
coniston
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby NewYork212 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:14 am

I actually drank a lot of Iced Coffee in NYC.... and that is when I started to notice the Rosacea. I really hate hot coffee although I will drink it.

At the time I drank coffee... once or twice a day. Sometimes I would sneak in a Nesspresso at work.... but iced as well.

Now that I am in Germany I drink hot coffee in the morning and starbucks is not as available... but I still flare up at times. Should I just avoid coffee?

K.
NewYork212
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby fanny » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:54 pm

Hi
Everyone has different reactions. I only drink iced coffee, as I find hot drinks make things worse.
Fanny
fanny
Moderator Team

PreviousNext

Return to Foods & Diet