Coffee question

There is a lot of interest in how what you eat can affect your rosacea. Some foods can cause a flareup in rosacea symptoms. Also the makeup of your diet in general will affect your health for sure and also your rosacea.

Coffee question

Postby after-exile » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:21 pm

Is it the caffiene in coffee that makes it a trigger or something else ?
Thanks
after-exile
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: Coffee question

Postby Peacock » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:39 pm

Hi after-exile,

I just recently did a trial and error with coffee. Here are my findings: (heat of coffee, not caffeine the problem)

Hot coffee with 2 % milk >>> result was facial flaring and redness in nose area for approximately 2 hours

Hot coffee with no milk >>> result was facial flaring and redness in nose area for approximately 2 hours

Ice coffee with 2 % milk>>> no redness or flaring

For me, the heat of the coffee was the issue not the caffeine.

Everyone is different, perhaps you could try a little trial and error yourself .

good luck ----
Peacock
Star Member
Star Member

Postby shellylee » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:20 pm

I agree I think it is the heat of the coffee. If I let my coffee cool for a few minutes before I drink it I don't flush but if I try to drink it right away that is when I flare.
shellylee
Apprentice Member
Apprentice Member

Postby Mike T » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:55 pm

Excellent advice there.

Mike T
Mike T
Moderator Team

Postby David Pascoe » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:50 am

Thankfully there is always the option of iced coffee for those who love a coffee but the heat is too much.

I love that I can have coffee in so many different forms. I do sweat if the coffee is too hot, but that doesn't seem to cause any problems for me, and during summer an iced coffee is another option.

good luck!
Get Rosacea News here: https://rosacea-support.org
David Pascoe
Moderator Team

Postby CrabbyCathy » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:37 am

I think the only time I reacted to the caffeine in coffee (tea is okay) was when I was very dehydrated. I didn't want to have to use the loo so much during jury duty, so I purposefully didn't drink a lot of water. Silly, I know.
Cathy (makeup)
See my blog for tips and helpful links!
Please note: Any advice offered here is not meant to replace medical advice. Always see your dermatologist.
CrabbyCathy
Moderator Team

Postby oldredlady » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:26 am

For me (a regular, very heavy coffee drinker) coffee isn't a trigger (thank goodness!) though I'm trying to cut back on caffeine, so am drinking more decaf these days. The only time I have trouble with coffee is when it's too hot, as others have mentioned, (I feel like I'm having a hot flash, no skin reaction but it's nasty just the same); if I let it cool to lukewarm before drinking I have no reaction whatsoever.

The IF Diet book I recently got in the mail gives coffee an IF of 0 (both regular and decaf).

Best to all,
oldredlady
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Postby after-exile » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:06 pm

Thanks all.
after-exile
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby oopsiedaisy » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:47 am

I read somewhere (I think?) that caffeine is actually a vaso-constrictor , meaning it makes the blood vessels contract rather than dilate. (Someone correct me if I am wrong).

I therefore am inclined to agree with others who speculate that it might be the temperature of the coffee rather than caffeine per se.
oopsiedaisy
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Postby CrabbyCathy » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:24 am

I thought I'd get a clear answer googling that, but no! (rofl)

According to this (you have to scan one of the wiki articles linked, and get a headache), it's a vasodilator. BUT what could affect some people could be that, the heat, or the dairy added.

Personally, I used to be able to drink it with caffeine, but now I stick to decaf, and not piping hot, just very warm.
Cathy (makeup)
See my blog for tips and helpful links!
Please note: Any advice offered here is not meant to replace medical advice. Always see your dermatologist.
CrabbyCathy
Moderator Team

Next

Return to Foods & Diet