new here and want some diet advice

There is a lot of interest in how what you eat can affect your rosacea. Some foods can cause a flareup in rosacea symptoms. Also the makeup of your diet in general will affect your health for sure and also your rosacea.

new here and want some diet advice

Postby candy » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:23 pm

I'm new here and I need some advice about food.
I'm on a diet since 3 years (no sugar-no cereals-no choccolate- no caffe or alcohol) but my doctor said I could eat yogourt, parmesan cheese, and all the fruits and vegetables.
Now I saw on the "factors that may trigger rosacea flare-ups" list, that I have to avoid yogourt, parmesan, and some vegetables and fruits. Moreover I saw that I have to avoid yeast extract but I can eat bread, does it means that I can eat bread that do not contains yeast?
I'm sorry for all this questions but I'm a little bit confused...I just want to follow the right indications for my diet.
Thank you for your help,
Dora
candy
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: new here and want some diet advice

Postby Lee » Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:31 am

Hi Dora and Welcome!
My doc told me, regarding to rosacea, I should avoid :
alcohol, caffeine, spicy food, and not to eat food that is too warm. that's it! he told me that I can eat everything else.
I recommend to eat whole wheat bread, simple because it's healthy.
I eat yogourt, parmesan, all vegetables and fruits, and I'm O.K. but you just need to try and see for yourself.

Good luck!!!
Lee
I have subtype 1. I use doxylin, Rozex, Elidel cream.
English is not my mother tongue, so I apologize for my English.
Lee
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Artist » Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:40 am

Dora: The best thing to do is eat simply and keep a food journal in order to figure out your personal triggers. Contrary to your doc's opinion, all rosaceans have different triggers. I flare badly with yogurt and parmesan cheese, but I can eat lemons, garlic, and some other foods that are common triggers for many.. FRESH bread is a trigger for many because the yeast is still active. If fresh made bread is a trigger for you, you will just want to avoid that. Grocery store bread tends to be fine (as long as not just made that day..).

Artist
Artist
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Postby candy » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:47 pm

thank you Lee and Artist!!!!! :D
i'll try to eat bread and some other things that I have avoid and I hope i'll find out my triggers....
I still have problems with proteins...I would like to be vegetarian but I don't know if eating eggs and tempeh two times a week is enought...what do you think?
My doctor said that I should eat chicken...but the list suggest to avoid it...

Thanks for your advice!!!
candy
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Kylron » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:25 pm

Talk to Brady, or look up Brady's rosacea diet... I have heard some great things about it from a few different people.
Kylron
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby candy » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:56 pm

thanks kylron!
I just received Brady's book yesterday!!!
Now i have to read it and learn...
ciao!!
candy
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby whizz-dude » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:23 pm

Hello Kylron and Candy

I have been on Brady's rosacea diet for 5 weeks now and I personally recommend it. Prior to going on this diet I had mild-severe rosacea and 5 weeks after my face is almost clear. Almost all of my previous triggers no longer apply. Like prior to the diet my skin was very sensitive to water(cold and hot) now I emerge from the shower with a clear white face. I used to wake up every morning with a red face. No more so. My skin is not as sensitive as it used to be. I could touch it without it going red. Also sudden change of temperature was another trigger for me and to a smaller extent it is still there. But to a much much smaller extent. In fact I would say I go a little red for a short time not for hours like I used to. Also I could now work out for much longer without looking like a beetroot. Of course some triggers remain. Like stress for example. I do go red after a long day. Not as red as I used to but still. Physical exertion is still a major problem like when I am lifting something heavy or just jogging on a treadmill for too long my face will go really red(but redness will subside a lot quicker). Also alcohol is a major no no even though I likes a drink. But then again alcohol is not really allowed in this diet(not in large quantities anyway). And finally the biggest trigger for me has always been and still is blushing. Whenever I blush my rosacea would flare up and sometimes it takes minutes sometimes hours for redness to subside. I don't have really a social anxiety disorder just hypersensitive sympathetic system. Only ETS surgery can fix that.

But overall I am very happy with the diet. I have clear face now and save shedloads of money I would have otherwise spent on useless skincare products. I highly recommend this diet and hope it helps you as much as it helped me.

Good luck
whizz-dude
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby phlika29 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:26 pm

whizz-dude wrote: Whenever I blush my rosacea would flare up and sometimes it takes minutes sometimes hours for redness to subside. I don't have really a social anxiety disorder just hypersensitive sympathetic system. Only ETS surgery can fix that.

Just to clarify for others-ETS is not the only way to deal with blushing and is an operation that holds many risks.
phlika29
Star Member
Star Member

Postby Artist » Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:39 pm

Beta blockers are great for social blushing and I think are more commonly prescribed these days for rosacea. I take 12.5mg (that's twelve and one half milligrams) of Atenolol every morning and it completely prevents me from blushing.

Artist
Not medical advice.
Artist
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Postby xtina057 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:10 pm

where do i look up bradys diet? thanks.
xtina057
I'm new here
I'm new here

Next