Alkaline diet

There is a lot of interest in how what you eat can affect your rosacea. Some foods can cause a flareup in rosacea symptoms. Also the makeup of your diet in general will affect your health for sure and also your rosacea.

Alkaline diet

Postby samantha70 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:29 pm

Hi all - I'm researching diet at the moment, as a way of helping control my P&P Rosacea, and I am happy to start cutting out various nasties like sugar! chocolate etc etc., but I worry about cutting out dairy. I know from a nutritional point of view, dairy products are helpful to women in terms of their assistance to ward of osteoporosis etc., so I wonder if anyone has any experiences/advice along these lines?

Many thanks
Sam
Sam

Trying to celebrate my rosy face
samantha70
Apprentice Member
Apprentice Member

Re: Alkaline diet

Postby CrabbyCathy » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:35 am

I am one of the fortunate ones who cannot have a lick of dairy or I flare like mad. The only option is to take a daily calcium supplement, split into two doses (1200 mg total), and try to load up on calcium-fortified foods, not to mention foods naturally "high" in calcium. I know there are people out there who are literally deathly allergic to dairy, etc. and have to resort to other methods to get their calcium in. But....I do admit I'm bad on taking my calcium supplements. (blush)

http://www.healthdiaries.com/eatthis/15 ... lcium.html

http://www.fitsugar.com/Healthy-Eating- ... um-1725180
Cathy (makeup)
See my blog for tips and helpful links!
Please note: Any advice offered here is not meant to replace medical advice. Always see your dermatologist.
CrabbyCathy
Moderator Team

Postby samantha70 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:46 am

Hi Cathy - thanks for that :)

I am doing some research into diet and looking into zinc and calcium etc., so I appreciate your input.

Sam :)
Sam

Trying to celebrate my rosy face
samantha70
Apprentice Member
Apprentice Member

Postby Aurelia » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:45 pm

Hi Sam,

There are two seriously conflicting schools of thought on dairy products. The traditional view sees them as a very important part of a healthy diet and essential for maintaining good calcium levels. The opposing view says they greatly increase the risk of cancer and several other serious illnesses, so it is better to obtain calcium from other sources. (For more details, I would suggest googling “The China Diet” and reading articles for and against.)

Cathy, thanks for those great links for non-dairy sources of calcium. I was pleased to see two useful comments warning that although spinach contains plenty of calcium, it also contain oxalates, which prevent calcium absorption. (The same is true of Swiss chard aka silver beet.) Also, one I hadn't read before, that the body cannot absorb more than 300-400 mg of calcium at once, “so if you take a supplement, take it at a different time than you eat a high calcium meal”.

Other points:

Brazil nuts do contain calcium, but rather than 12, I think the general advice is to have only 3 or 4 per day.

To make best use of calcium, we need good levels of Vitamin D, whether from supplementation or sun exposure.

Some other good sources of calcium include:

sardines (325 mg per 3 ounces)
oysters (195 mg per cup)
refried beans (188 mg per cup)
salmon (150 mg or 180 mg per 3 ounces - have seen both quoted and I don't know which is correct)

Agar (a seaweed alternative to gelatine) has 625 mg of calcium per 3.5 oz, and can easily be added to foods as a thickener, as well as used for making jellies and other desserts. In some countries, orange juice can be bought fortified with agar specifically to boost calcium levels.

Kind regards,

Aurelia
Aurelia
Rosacea Veteran
Rosacea Veteran

Postby willamtarker » Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:08 am

*edited for spam*
willamtarker
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Mike T » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:26 pm

Alkaline diet, anti-inflammation diet, Sibo diet, anit candida diet, general well being diet all have overlapping suggestions centralised around low GI, lean protein, high antioxidant, anti inflammatory and organic foods.

Its all about the balance.

The food site listed in one of the earlier posts contains very detailed & valuable information.

Mike
Mike T
Moderator Team

Postby Milburn » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:32 am

dear if you want to cutting fats then must you leave from high calories diet its up to you if you want then do it.
Milburn
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby CrabbyCathy » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:50 am

Welcome, Milburn!

Your four one-sentence replies to various threads are...well, a bit odd :) Usually they're the type we see from spammers that come back in to add a link. I would hate to think you were one of them!
Cathy (makeup)
See my blog for tips and helpful links!
Please note: Any advice offered here is not meant to replace medical advice. Always see your dermatologist.
CrabbyCathy
Moderator Team

Postby Brunhilda » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:08 am

If you want to eat dairy you should try either fat free dairy or lactose free dairy depending on what you think is causing the problems.
As for calcium. you can get enough from other sources vegans can get their calcium needs met by Broccoli. You can also supplement your calcium by taking antacids. Eat small fish like sardines and you will get plenty of calcium.
Brunhilda
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby FredTheRed » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:04 pm

I find I am ok on Milk and butter. Cheese and eggs i think are triggers for me. Although I am going to try Cottage cheese as its supposed to be ok for rosacea. I find foods that are hot or cooked troublesome. . I let my coffee cool down to luke warm or cold before i drink it. I eat alot of raw/cold food and avoid anything high in sugar. It seems to suit me

Fred
FredTheRed
I'm new here
I'm new here

Return to Foods & Diet