Protein Supplements

There is a lot of interest in how what you eat can affect your rosacea. Some foods can cause a flareup in rosacea symptoms. Also the makeup of your diet in general will affect your health for sure and also your rosacea.

Protein Supplements

Postby Artist » Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:01 pm

Hi gang!

I often wonder what it is about a low carb, high protein diet that helps rosacea. Perhaps one of the amino acids helps. If you look at cystine, for example, you see it is crucial for the skin. Also, it breaks down acetaldehyde, which is a vasodilator (and something we want broken down as quickly as possible for good health in general).

So, to boost my protein the easy way, I started using a little plain soy protein a few times a day. I mix a few spoonfuls of it with a little water twice a day. It doesn't taste very good, so I use just a little water and drink it down quickly. I follow with a glass of plain water.

I'll let you know if I notice any difference with it. So far it hasn't caused problems.

I also tried whey protein, but it heated my face up a little. The soy protein has been fine. I haven't tried rice protein.

With so many ingredients in a lot of the ones I see, I'd suggest trying a plain protein powder like soy or rice if you are going to do it. Most of the products I see have a lot of potentially flaring ingredients added (for me, anyway).

Anyone else notice improvements when taking a protein supplement?

Cheers!

Artist
Artist
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Re: Protein Supplements

Postby phlika29 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:14 pm

Artist

A few people have discussed this on the rosacea forum. Ha was going to post a link and then saw that you already know about it. I'd be very interested in hearing how you go.
phlika29
Star Member
Star Member

Postby Artist » Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:23 am

Hi Phlika: I'll definately report back after a while. So far it's not causing any problems. It's pretty convenient to get my protein in this way. The problem with a high protein diet is you find yourself cooking all the time. Chicken breasts...again?!?! ha ha ha

BTW, I noticed you have used Pau D'arco in the past. Is it still working for you?

Cheers!

Artist
Artist
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Postby phlika29 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:25 am

Yep I find it works really well. I've actually run out at the moment but the first chance I get I'm going to get some more.
phlika29
Star Member
Star Member

Postby Twickle Purple » Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:24 pm

Hi Artist,

The rice protein definitely tastes better than the soy! I use Brown Rice protein now and it's pretty bland, which is good. I also use it for baking in place of flour when I make high protein/high fibre muffins. They are very tasty.

I have a quick chicken fix you may want to try. I have a convenient hand blender that I throw a cup or so of pecans into and swirl til they are fine. (I add sea salt to the mix otherwise it is bland. Thyme is nice too but it needs to be fresh leaves.) Then I cut a couple of breasts into 2 or 3 length-wise strips and throw them into a big ziploc bag with the pecan mix and shake til covered. I bake the strips on a flat pan lined with parchment at 350ºF for 30 minutes. It's good hot or cold. I splash lemon and add more salt if I eat these cold, which is a great snack or picnic item. If you are not bothered by sourcream or mustard, then a mix of 1/3 c of sourcream & 1 T of grainy mustard is a surprisingly gourmet tasting dip accompanying the hot strips. It's all low carb/high protein.
Twickle Purple
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Postby Artist » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:03 am

Yummmm! Thanks for the recipe. I'll have to try it! Do you think the rice protein helps your rosacea?

Artist
Artist
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Postby Twickle Purple » Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:16 pm

I really do believe the rice protein makes a positive difference. I flush from Soy, and Whey is an absolute no-no even though it tastes the best of the three. There are flavoured brown rice proteins that are tasty, I like the vanilla that is created with vanilla beans and stevia -- no carb/sugar impact. It's good for a treat but will bother me if I have it too often.

TP
Twickle Purple
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Postby Artist » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:30 pm

hmmm... I have some rice protein samples. I'll have to try them. Thanks!

Artist
Artist
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Postby heather_d_lowe » Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:17 pm

Hello,

I saw a protein at my local health food store. It is sprouted brown rice protein. The fellow said the sprouted grain is better on the digestive system due to the enzymes etc. I was wondering if the brown rice protein would be high in niacin. I usually eat the white because of the fact that the gut transit time is faster and I thought it was lower in niacin. Do you guys think my line of thinking is corect or am I totally out there. Also, could the sprouted grain be a potential problem? fermentation etc.. Thanks for any reply..

Heather
heather_d_lowe
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Artist » Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:36 pm

Hi Heather: I tried eating sprouted grain bread and thought it was fine, but after a while I realized it made me a bit more reactive. I unfortunately do better with refined white flour for some reason.

Cheers!

Artist
Artist
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Next

Return to Foods & Diet