GI tract after colonoscopy

There is a lot of interest in how what you eat can affect your rosacea. Some foods can cause a flareup in rosacea symptoms. Also the makeup of your diet in general will affect your health for sure and also your rosacea.

GI tract after colonoscopy

Postby Auburn » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:02 pm

A few questions for members who have had a colonoscopy:

- If your GI tract was in good shape before the procedure, how long did it take for you to feel "normal" after the colonoscopy? Any changes in your bowel movements (BMs)?

- Did you go back to your normal diet right away?

- Did you notice any changes in your skin after the procedure?

Since the procedure (it's been 5 weeks now) my "regularity" seems to be a thing of the past :-( . Now my BMs are a bit too "fluid" or a bit too "compact" and sometimes both kinds at the same time -hard to write about these things without grossing people out...

I was not advised to change my diet so I started eating normally after the procedure.

My skin didn't seem to be affected by whatever it is that caused my GI tract changes.

Treated seb derm successfully with raw honey and virgin coconut oil and have been symptom-free since June '09.
Follow this --->link<--- for details.
Auburn
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Re: GI tract after colonoscopy

Postby Gema » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:15 am

Hi Auburn!

I had a colonoscopy, an endoscopy and subsequent gall bladder removal surgery. The surgery went well and I felt like celebrating the new me (sans stomach pain) by treating myself to a facial peel to help bring back some luster to my otherwise dry, tired looking skin. And so a few days after my procedures, I made an appointment for the facial with a dermatologist I had never seen before and began using all this shmancy, fancy creams and lotions on my face.

I was so happy I developed this redish glow on my skin. My daughter remarked that I looked "sun kissed." You, see, all of my life I had been pale. In fact, my palor made me look almost ill at times and I had to resort to using blush. Growing up my mother worried that I was anemic. But my trips to the doctor always proved her wrong. That was just the way I was a scrawny, pale looking girl.

A few weeks into this regime of scrubbing, washing and lathing my face with all this stuff I begun to notice a little papule here and a little papule there, but did not make any thing of it. On the contrary, I thought the products were doing their job and stimulating my skin to produce more natural oils. I did not go back to the dermatologist until one day I woke up with my two cheeks (down to my jaw line) red, burning like hell and covered with papules.

So to answer your questions regarding any changes on my skin after the colonoscopy. Maybe. I really don't know what triggered my rosacea. Was it the colonoscopy, is this were it all begun? Did the procedure strip me clean of all friendly flora in my intestines and thus, my skin could not fend for itself? In hind sight, and hind sight is always perfect, I should have loaded my self with probiotics afterwards to help my poor GI bounce back from the colonoscopy. (The stuff that patients take to clear up the colon prior to the procedure is truly nasty stuff). I don't think it'd hurt for you to give your GI a bit of TLC in the form of probiotics. I like taking the Bio-K Plus refrigerated type.

I resumed my normal diet pretty much right away, but because I felt "clean" and it was like a new slate for me, I made up my mind to begin eating a healthier diet from that day forward. Regarding irregularity after colonoscopy, I think most everyone who has had one has experienced a bit of that.

I hope your procedure went well and that you had a good report.

Gema
Gema
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Lisamouries » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:25 am

Auburn. I haven't had a colonoscopy but I did have a problem where as I was taking antibiotics for my sinuses and then had food poisoning. From then on all hell broke loose and ended having bad diarrhea for 6–8 weeks.

The GP at the time couldn't find anything really wrong but my Mum who was a nurse in France said that I needed to as we say in french "re-flower my intestines" which in layman terms is to put all that good flora back in there as all of them had been destroyed by the antibiotics and the food poisoning. So I took high dosages of super yeast and within 2 weeks everything was back to normal and my bowel movements functioned like clock work which they had never done before... I wouldn't of thought mentioning this if Gema hadn't talked about probiotics.

I think it's worth a chat with your GP.
Lisa M.
Lisamouries
Moderator Team

Postby Auburn » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:46 pm

Well, I'm happy to report that, for about a week now, things seem to be pretty much back to normal in the regularity department. :) Looks like what was causing the funny BMs was kombucha, a lacto-fermented drink. This drink is excellent for the GI tract but, after the colonoscopy, to avoid irritation, I should've drunk half the usual amount. I finally clicked (doh) and stopped drinking it for two days and things improved right away.

Hi Gema (wave),

Gema wrote:So to answer your questions regarding any changes on my skin after the colonoscopy. Maybe. I really don't know what triggered my rosacea. Was it the colonoscopy, is this were it all begun? Did the procedure strip me clean of all friendly flora in my intestines and thus, my skin could not fend for itself? In hind sight, and hind sight is always perfect, I should have loaded my self with probiotics afterwards to help my poor GI bounce back from the colonoscopy. (The stuff that patients take to clear up the colon prior to the procedure is truly nasty stuff). I don't think it'd hurt for you to give your GI a bit of TLC in the form of probiotics. I like taking the Bio-K Plus refrigerated type.

I've been taking probiotics (in the form of lacto-fermented foods) for a few months now. I never had BM problems (except for the two days of constipation, like a clock!, every month :-( ) but I have been dealing with GERD on and off for about three years now (a few times a year the back of my throat would burn due to acid reflux while sleeping). The doc put me on Nexium which I took for a month last year and it helped. This year, when symptoms started again, my throat was not affected but my chest felt heavy and the area around the sternum felt sore. The dreaded "heartburn." Doc said to start with Nexium again but this time to take it until the symptoms went away. Well, after 45 days on Nexium, soreness turned into severe pain around the sternum and I started to develop chest pain, muscle pain, fatigue, malaise -all Nexium adverse reactions- (frustrated). So I said "the heck with meds!," quit taking Nexium and started adding raw milk, lacto-fermented foods and good fats to my diet. This was about eight weeks ago (a couple of weeks before the endo-colonoscopy). For the past three weeks I have not had any GERD symptoms but, because for me this is sort of an on and off condition, I can't say for sure that the lack of symptoms is directly related to the probiotics. However, since the changes I've made to my diet are permanent, if GERD does not return next year, well, then I'll have to thank the probiotics for that. :)

I hope your procedure went well and that you had a good report.

Thank you. It did go well, fortunately. The doctor said he removed a couple of small benign polyps and that I should have another one done in 5 years. But these days there's so much information out there and some of it is so controversial, sometimes I don't really know what to think about this procedure. The psyllium mucilage prescribed for cleansing the colon is so disruptive as is the procedure itself...

So to answer your questions regarding any changes on my skin after the colonoscopy. Maybe. I really don't know what triggered my rosacea. Was it the colonoscopy, is this were it all begun? Did the procedure strip me clean of all friendly flora in my intestines and thus, my skin could not fend for itself?

Probably not. I'm saying this because you've also mentioned that you went to the dermatologist hoping that treating yourself "to a facial peel to help bring back some luster to my otherwise dry, tired looking skin." That would mean that your skin was already showing signs of a weak skin barrier and, perhaps, one or more ingredients in the fancy creams/lotions you introduced caused more irritation (especially the scrubbing part). You may not have rosacea after all! Let's see what the dermatologist says when you see him in a few weeks).

Best wishes. :)

Treated seb derm successfully with raw honey and virgin coconut oil and have been symptom-free since June '09.
Auburn
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Postby Auburn » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:56 pm

Hi Lisa! :)

Things are back to normal now but thanks so much for your note. I'm curious, though, about the "super yeast" you mentioned. I just googled it and most of the hits seem to be about beer making or gasoline additives. :O

Do you have a link to the product you used?

Thanks!

Auburn
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Postby LoisAnne » Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:53 am

I would like to know about "super yeast" too because I have been having a lot of stomach pain lately and am wondering if it is related to 8 months of antibiotic use. I have stopped taking the minocycline to see if the pain goes away and have stopped all supplements except for probiotics. I am expecting my face to start breaking out again. Eventually I will try Oracea again although it just does not work as well as even my small dose of minocycline. (50mg a day)
As for having a colonoscopy, my skin was so beautifully clear following my colonoscopy, I would do it monthly if I could have that result! (just kidding). I am sure the clear skin was a result of the prep stuff you have to drink and not the colonoscopy itself.
No problems with my digestive system following it either. It was just a routine one with no follow up care.
LoisAnne
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Postby Lisamouries » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:52 am

Well. I translated 'super yeast' from 'super levure'. So I'm assuming it's the same thing. My Mum bought it for me from her local pharmacy and sent it through the post. As it came from the pharmacy is was a very natural one but I can't remember the brand. Her Doctor recommended it. I'll have to ask her if she remembers. This was several years back.
Lisa M.
Lisamouries
Moderator Team

Postby KRC » Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:18 am

I strongly believe my Rosacea was caused by either a colonoscopy prep or the actual procedure, as I went from having normal digestion and skin to having severe neurogenic Rosacea and stomach issues. I had no facials. To pardon the pun, it is my gut instinct and I remember saying to my GP that I was fine until I had that damn colonoscopy. Now I have been researching and I find that not only do the prep and procedure upset the intestinal flora, but I am horrified to read that the actual wand used CANNOT be completely sterilised from patient to patient. As not every patient having the procedure is having a routine screening, it is scary to think of the possibility of passing infection. The place where i had my procedure was a real mill very busy and crowded. I wish I had just never done this procedure. I doubt I ever will again and that too kind of scares me. I know rectal cancer is no matter to take lightly. I am not trying to pass negative or inaccurate information, but this was never discussed as a potential risk factor. Only bowel perforation was discussed.

Lisa, I am a little confused on taking yeast. I always thought yeast was instrumental in producing candida and that is the enemy of the good intestinal bacteria. I am afraid of eating yogurt as i seem to develop sinus issues and Rosacea flushing after ingesting dairy requiring antibiotics and the whole mess goes in a circle. (Strangely, a yogurt masque seems to help with facial redness and horrific burning.) People theorise that the Rosacea is caused by high histamine foods and many of those are what we are told helps the gut ( yogurt, vinegar, sauerkraut) This and rosacea are all so confusing. I don't mean to sound snooty but I wonder sometimes if the doctors know what they are doing or just think they do. I have to read up on restoring natural flora. I know the probiotics pearls that I have been taking are incomplete. I also need to practice restraint as my naturally impatient nature and establishing triggers and what helps are difficult as I keep switching up my treatments. To sum it up I am a real mess and I do blame colonoscopy as the time frame is so precise. Any further clarification on yeast would be sincerely appreciated.
Best,
KC
KRC
I'm new here
I'm new here

Return to Foods & Diet