Favourite rosacea-friendly food

There is a lot of interest in how what you eat can affect your rosacea. Some foods can cause a flareup in rosacea symptoms. Also the makeup of your diet in general will affect your health for sure and also your rosacea.

The nicest 100% whole wheat bread :)

Postby Auburn » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:49 pm

Most whole wheat bread recipes call for, at least, one part white flour. This one doesn't yet the resulting bread has a lovely soft crumb. (nod)

As a "white flour bread person" I've always felt that whole wheat bread tasted, well, not very nice (snob), compared to white bread. But I've learned that, as nice as white bread is, we should try to eat less of it. I still bake a nice boule every couple of weeks and a pizza once a month (also, I've made Lisa's stuffed bread twice since she posted the recipe here).

Two months ago, I found a nice looking artisan "soaked" bread at the health food shop and decided to try it. I/we liked it a lot. The crumb was soft and it tasted very nice with butter and honey. It made nice sandwiches and the ingredient list was good too: water, yeast, whey, honey, salt, whole wheat flour. However, this bread actually contained more white flour than whole wheat. :-(

So I went online looking for 100% whole wheat flour recipes for soaked bread and, when I was about to give up (most recipes contained some white flour), I found what turned out to be a fantastic recipe.

If you don't bake, well, then you probably won't bother with this BUT you may know someone who does bake (and appreciates good whole wheat bread) so please copy this recipe and give it to them.

If you do bake, I am sure you will appreciate how easy this is to make and the wonderful flavor and consistency the soaking process gives to this bread. I hope you'll give it a try.

I've made this recipe both by hand and with my KitcheAid. I prefer making it by hand because I happen to enjoy kneading, but the bread turns out great either way.

First make the "sponge":

1 & 3/4 cups whole wheat bread flour (415 grams on my scale)
1/4 teaspoon dry yeast
slightly less than 3/4 cup filtered water (3/4 cup equals 175 ml)
1 tablespoon whey

Add all the sponge ingredients to the bowl of a stand mixer and knead using the dough hook for several minutes until it forms a dough. Let it rest for 5 minutes then knead it for one more minute.

------------- ~~~ -------------

While the machine is kneading the sponge, make the "soaker":

1 & 3/4 cups whole wheat bread flour
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
slightly less than 3/4 cup milk
1 tablespoon of whey

Mix all ingredients until it forms a ball.

Place the sponge dough on top of the soaker dough ball in the bowl, cover tightly with plastic wrap and let it sit on the counter for a day (start the dough about 24 hours before you'll bake the bread).

------------- ~~~ -------------

20 hours later add to the bowl:

1 teaspoon sea salt
1 tablespoon melted butter (or oil)
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon instant yeast
Optional: 2 1/2 tablespoons (25 gr) vital wheat gluten (I use this since most artisan breads contain it because it's especially effective when baking with low-protein flours like whole wheat; it improves the elasticity and rise of the dough).

Knead this in the bowl of stand mixer using the bread hook for about 6 – 8 minutes. Wait until the dough has been kneading about 4-5 minutes before adding more water or flour to get the right texture. If you've added the right amount of liquid to the sponge/soaker, you will need to add very little dry flour, if any at all.

Let the dough rest for 5 minutes.

Knead it again for 1 minute.

The dough is ready when it's climbed the mixer's hook. If kneading by hand, after 5 - 8 minutes of kneading, the dough should be very elastic and feel tacky but not sticky.

Shape the dough into a ball and place in a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and leave to rise in a draft-free place until double in volume and you can poke your finger into the dough and the indentation from your finger does not fill in.

After the first rise, shape the loaf, place it in a buttered/oiled mold -or on a baking sheet if you are making a boule-, cover and let rise again. This should take about an hour, a bit longer if the room temp is below 75F.

Bake the bread in a preheated 350 F degree oven for 40 - 50 minutes (mine is ready in just about 40 minutes).

You could also divide the dough into 8 portions (balls) to make burger/sandwich buns or divide into four portions to make large panini. Reduce baking times accordingly.

If you can resist devouring the bread the same day you bake it, let it cool completely and put it in a plastic bag. Next day you'll be slicing the nicest, most flavorful, easy to slice, 100% whole wheat bread.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Why bother with soaking the dough? Because soaking neutralizes phytic acid, a component of plant fiber found in the bran and hulls of grains, legumes, nuts, and seeds that reduces mineral absorption. Those who have had digestive trouble when eating whole grains will greatly benefit from this practice.

In my experience, soaked whole wheat bread does not cause acidic stomach (like the store-bought bread does). Soaking beans (24 hours) has also helped a lot with digestion. :)

Whey is easily made at home but, if you don't want to bother, you could use lemon juice, vinegar or buttermilk.

Treated seb derm successfully with raw honey and virgin coconut oil and have been symptom-free since June '09.
Follow this --->link<--- for details.
Auburn
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Previous

Return to Foods & Diet