Favourite rosacea-friendly food

There is a lot of interest in how what you eat can affect your rosacea. Some foods can cause a flareup in rosacea symptoms. Also the makeup of your diet in general will affect your health for sure and also your rosacea.

Favourite rosacea-friendly food

Postby Aurelia » Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:28 pm

We could debate forever and a day about what constitutes a healthy diet, or what type of diet best suits rosaceans. This thread isn't for arguing about theories. It's just a place to share recipes you like, that you think are healthy, and that don't flare your particular type of rosacea.

My current favourite green veges -

Lightly boil in a little water: 2 chopped onions, 2 crushed cloves garlic, 3 cups small broccoli florets, 3 cups small cauliflower florets, 2 chopped celery stalks plus leaves, 6 brussels sprouts (cut like orange segments), a good handful of parsley, coriander or similar leafy herbs, and a bay leaf. When soft, remove bay leaf, then drain vegetables and stir them into something tasty, eg a thick mix of caramelised onions and mushrooms cooked in olive oil, or a light sauce made with skimmed milk and a little low-fat cheese seasoned with dill, oregano, capers or whatever else you fancy. A small tin of asparagus is a nice addition to the latter version, especially if you use a little of the salted asparagus water when making the sauce. Save the cooking water for soup stock.
Aurelia
Rosacea Veteran
Rosacea Veteran

Re: Favourite rosacea-friendly food

Postby Jenny Nairn » Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:56 am

Great idea for a thread, Aurelia!

As you know, I have done a fair amount of research on diet in relation to Rosacea and written quite a lot on the boards over time. Not as much as some, of course, but still I do hold some firm beliefs. My beliefs may not be what others agree with and that is fine. We can agree to disagree. (;)

I'll put together some of my favourite recipes and post them up as I think of them but for starters, perhaps I could begin with some ingredients that I believe are good for us Rosies:

Eggs (great source of good fat, protein and low in carbohydrates)
Broccoli (low carb vegie)
Cabbage (low carb vegie)
Cauliflower (low carb vegie)
Coconut oil to cook with (small amounts at first, or it can create 'the runs' if too much is used in the beginning)
or a good quality Olive Oil to cook with
Free-range chicken/beef/lamb/pork/fish - best quality you can afford (fat still attached)
A good quality ocean sea salt for cooking (contains over 84 minerals = good for us)

Things to avoid where possible include:
Preservatives
Gluten (wheat products)
Sugar

Just a small start and 'food for thought', so to speak, until I can think of some recipes to post. :)

Jen
Jenny Nairn
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Postby Lisamouries » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:16 am

Uh oh. I don't think I cook anything that's good for Rosaceans. I do make my own stuffed bread and I use extra virgin olive oil mainly. If you want the recipes then please let me know.
Lisa M.
Lisamouries
Moderator Team

Postby Aurelia » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:27 pm

Yes, do please post recipes you particularly enjoy and that never flare your rosacea.

Kind regards,

Aurelia
Last edited by Aurelia on Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Abbreviated it
Aurelia
Rosacea Veteran
Rosacea Veteran

Coconut rice pudding

Postby Auburn » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:09 pm

Since many rosaceans also have to cope with seb derm (and since sugary desserts are a no-no for seb derm sufferers), sweets should be kept to a minimum :-( . However, this coconut rice pudding is very easy on the GI tract because it's sweetened with honey and dairy-free. :)

To make this rice pudding you'll need:

3 cups water
1 cup Arborio (or similar) rice
4 whole cloves
1/2 vanilla bean (or extract, to taste)
1/2 cinnamon stick
1 can coconut milk
1/2 cup golden raisins
Lemon rind without the pith, a few pieces
Pinch of salt
Honey as a sweetener, to taste

- Place water and rice, cloves, vanilla, and cinnamon in a pot and bring to a simmer, stirring frequently. Reduce heat and cook 20 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is almost absorbed.

- Stir in coconut milk and raisins and continue cooking for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.

- Stir in lemon rind and salt and continue cooking for 5 minutes, stirring. Remove from heat and stir in honey.

- Pour rice mixture into bowl(s), cover surface of pudding with plastic wrap and chill.

This recipe makes 6 servings.

Treated seb derm successfully with raw honey and virgin coconut oil and have been symptom-free since June '09.
Follow this --->link<--- for details.
Auburn
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Postby CrabbyCathy » Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:55 am

DAIRY FREE RICE PUDDING!!!! (yahoo) I tried rice milk, it was okay. Will give that another go, but coconut milk sounds absolutely fantastic!

And Lisa, what is stuffed bread? Mention anything bread or potatoes, and my ears perk up.
Cathy (makeup)
See my blog for tips and helpful links!
Please note: Any advice offered here is not meant to replace medical advice. Always see your dermatologist.
CrabbyCathy
Moderator Team

Postby Jenny Nairn » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:16 am

Lemon Drink Recipe

Juice of half a lemon
1/4 teaspoon of a good quality ocean sea salt (eg. Celtic - it's course and grey - non-processed, unlike table or rock salt)
Top your large coffee cup with boiling water

It's a nice alternative to drinking caffiene drinks (which can be dehydrating). Up to 6 cups a day. It's an electrolyte drink, to help keep your body hydrated (no sugar though like the commercial drinks).

You can also add 1/4 teaspoon of Ascorbic Acid powder (Vitamin C) and 1/4 teaspoon of Bicarbonate of Soda. Makes it like a lemon cappuccino, as the bicarb makes it froth up. Kind of fun!

Enjoy! Jen
Jenny Nairn
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Postby Aurelia » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:37 am

Mmm, desserts can be hard to resist in tough times. As they say "Remember, stressed spelled backwards is desserts!!!" I guess that's why so many of us turn to sweet foods when we want to unwind.
Aurelia
Rosacea Veteran
Rosacea Veteran

Postby Lisamouries » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:41 pm

Well. I make this bread that has lots of delicious things in it. It's a Jamie Oliver recipe. You can actually put anything you like in it. And if you make your own bread than less nasty extra unnecessary things that might cause skin reactions go into it. This is what I do.

Put 1kg (just over 2lb) of strong bread flour (white or brown or both, up to you) in a big bowl (I mean big as you are going to knead it) add 3 packs (7g/¼oz sachets) of dried yeast. I put 2 big tablespoons of sugar close to the yeast and 1 tablespoon of salt on the other side of the bowl. I then add 625ml/just over 1 pint of luke warm water and I plunge my hands in it and mix together (Certain flours need a little more or less water, so feel free to adjust.) Push, fold, slap and roll the dough around, over and over, for 4 or 5 minutes until you have a silky and elastic dough.

Flour the top of your dough. Put it in a bowl, cover with clingfilm, and allow it to prove for about half an hour until doubled in size – ideally in a warm, moist, draught-free place (This is real important. I shut all the doors in my kitchen when I do my proving).

Once the dough has doubled in size, knock the air out for 30 seconds by bashing it and squashing it. I then make a long sausage out of the dough which I flatten and start filling it with sun-dried tomatoes, goat cheese, olives, rocket, olive oil, pepper, salt, sausages/pastrami or even hard boiled eggs (everything is optional here). I join the sides together on the top and then form a crown which I join. I then add a bit of dusting flour. It should look like this http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/brea ... -cheese-eg – and leave it to prove for a second time for 30 minutes to an hour until it has doubled in size once more. I've managed to get this bit to work real nicely by putting some water in a dish in my microwave, full blast for 2 mins, remove the water dish and let the bread to prove there in that nice and humid atmosphere.This second prove is what makes the difference between commercial breads and true natural breads. The sliced bread manufacturers to save time and energy add 'other ingredients which shouldn't be added to flour' to cut down on this prove so they can save 'money'.

Very gently place your bread dough on to a flour-dusted baking tray and into a preheated oven 180ºC/350ºF/gas 4 for 35 minutes. Don't slam the door or you'll lose the air that you need. You can tell if it's cooked by tapping its bottom – if it sounds hollow it's done, if it doesn't then pop it back in for a little longer. Once cooked, place on a rack and allow it to cool. I eat it pretty promptly but it's best to leave it for another 20mn really...

It smells gorgeous in the house when it's cooking.

This is Jamie's way of doing it.
http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/brea ... ead-recipe
Lisa M.
Lisamouries
Moderator Team

Postby Auburn » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:09 pm

Dear, dear Lisa, thank you!!!! This is just incredible. I'll explain.

I make soaked whole wheat bread once a week (it's just the two of us, you know) and today happens to be bread day. Started the 24 hr soaking yesterday morning and earlier today I kneaded as usual. Thing is, my kitchen was on the cool side, just in the upper 60s/about 19° C, and the bread in the mold (second proof) was taking much longer than usual to rise so I'm checking things out online to kill some time and there's your post with that wonderful tip about using the warm/moist microwave. I did that and my lazy half risen bread finished to proof in just a couple of minutes, it looked perfect when it went into the oven (clapping). From now on I'll always use your method. Thanks a lot, dear. (hug2)

(I am a HUGE fan of Jamie's, love him to pieces. I make many of his recipes, will give this stuffed bread a try. It sounds fantastic.) :)

Treated seb derm successfully with raw honey and virgin coconut oil and have been symptom-free since June '09.
Follow this --->link<--- for details.
Auburn
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Next

Return to Foods & Diet