yams and potatoes

There is a lot of interest in how what you eat can affect your rosacea. Some foods can cause a flareup in rosacea symptoms. Also the makeup of your diet in general will affect your health for sure and also your rosacea.

yams and potatoes

Postby Flower51 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:42 am

Tonight I had something I haven't eaten in a very long time....a baked yam w/cinammon and some of my family's mashed potatoes w/chives. I don't normally eat white potatoes. I felt my face get warm soon after. My face is pinker tonight than usual. Are these problem foods for any of you ?

Just found this on another site as possible triggers:
in the niacin page leaf vegetables

broccoli
tomatoes
carrots
dates
sweet potatoes
asparagus
avocados
so these are bad to eat since they have niacin in them>?
same wtih
liver, heart and kidney
chicken
beef
tuna, salmon
milk

I do eat salmon, tuna, carrots and broccolli regularly.
Flower51
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: yams and potatoes

Postby GJ* » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:19 am

Cinanamon was perhaps the culprit there ( a known vasodilator) but not the yams.

Broadly speaking, if foods are problematic for your rosacea you will know about it within a short while of eating them. Niacin is neccessary for health and it takes relatively large amounts to prompt a rosacean to flush - frankly, more than you will find in any readily available foodstuff. By eating foods rich in niacin you are not storing up trouble for the future either.

Certain spices might pose an immediate problem (a flushing response) and certain nitrates likewise. A large amount of simple sugars in one hit might cause a reasonably immediate reponse too.

Over the longer term it is perhaps true to say that a diet over-dependent on simple carbohydrates - pastries, sweets, white bread, pasta (non-wholemeal) - might provoke increased inflammation in the skin.

Broccoli, salmon, tuna , carrots and yams are great and healthy choices. Try not to worry or obsess.
GJ*
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Postby Artist » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:27 pm

Yeah, it was probably the cinnamon. Spices are generally the first culprit. Yams and potatoes are good for you. Potatoes get a bad rap, but they are full of good nutrients. I made potato soup yesterday with biscuits and corn on the cob. Enjoy!!

Artist
Artist
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Re: turmeric

Postby Flower51 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:58 am

Thanks for the advice....its good to hear from others who've been doing this awhile. I grabbed a "Cajun spice" shaker instead of the seaweed/sesame/sea salt I was going for to put on a stir fry. Yikes my face got warm and flushed immediately! Do you know if turmeric has the same effect?
For a couple of months I'd use turmeric and ginger and raw garlic to fight cll and have since discontinued them as my tummy was not happy. Turmeric is sposed to be an anti inflammatory though so I'm wondering....any ideas? Terry
Flower51
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby CrabbyCathy » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:15 pm

For me, if the mashed potatoes contained milk or sour cream, that would have been the trigger.
Cathy (makeup)
See my blog for tips and helpful links!
Please note: Any advice offered here is not meant to replace medical advice. Always see your dermatologist.
CrabbyCathy
Moderator Team

Postby Flower51 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:24 pm

Hey Cathy I have a way of making mashed potatoes w/out butter or dairy. Pick up the grape seed oil vegganaise (in the refrigerated section) at the health food market. Really good flavor and so far nothing in it that is a problem for me. I don't normally eat white potatoes but thought I'd let you know. It's esp good if you snip some chives from your garden and mix them in.

T
Flower51
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby CrabbyCathy » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:35 pm

That sounds yummy! Especially since it kind of rhymes with mayonnaise, my fav on sandwiches. I know, bad.
Cathy (makeup)
See my blog for tips and helpful links!
Please note: Any advice offered here is not meant to replace medical advice. Always see your dermatologist.
CrabbyCathy
Moderator Team

Return to Foods & Diet