Success without drugs!! It's all in the food!

There is a lot of interest in how what you eat can affect your rosacea. Some foods can cause a flareup in rosacea symptoms. Also the makeup of your diet in general will affect your health for sure and also your rosacea.

Re: Success without drugs!! It's all in the food!

Postby CrabbyCathy » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:47 am

Actually, I didn't say food might not be the issue, because I know for me, it's my main issue--and also for others. Just that--don't look at the long, long list of foods, think "I can't eat any of them!" and stop them all. Keep the common triggers in mind when eating, and then it's just trial and error to notice what affects you individually.

Says the person flaring from spaghetti sauce (doh) Always something new popping up!
Cathy (makeup)
See my blog for tips and helpful links!
Please note: Any advice offered here is not meant to replace medical advice. Always see your dermatologist.
CrabbyCathy
Moderator Team

Postby Peacock » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:21 am

Thank you for clarifying.

Cathy, do have a suggestion for a non dairy creamer for coffee ? I am weaning off non-fat/organic milk (about 3/4 cup per morning) and Splenda.

As mentioned, I have some reaction in morning post coffee/w dairy....I am hoping its the dairy thru trial and error.

Thanks !!
Peacock
Star Member
Star Member

Postby CrabbyCathy » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:45 am

I have reacted to both Coffee Mate and International Delights, because they both contain a derivative of milk. So I usually just go for sugar. However, I have wanted to try a creamer by Silk, the people who make soy milk. I shall try to grab some next time.

Do you drink your coffee very hot? It could be that it's that, and perhaps not the dairy. I hope it's not the dairy, since it's in everything in the world, it seems. It's quite annoying.
Cathy (makeup)
See my blog for tips and helpful links!
Please note: Any advice offered here is not meant to replace medical advice. Always see your dermatologist.
CrabbyCathy
Moderator Team

Postby bellableu » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:17 am

Non-dairy & non-soy coffee creamer: I use 'So Delicious' brand coconut milk-based creamer (or the coconut milk beverage, when I've been unable to find the creamer). It is a 'natural foods' brand. I don't know where you are, it's probably easier to find some places than others (I'm in California and it's easy here - when I was in Southern New Mexico, it was a little harder, but the local natural foods co-op carried it).
Subtypes I, II, IV - mild to moderate

“You do what you do because that’s what the harmony of the universe requires." ~ Ram Dass
bellableu
Moderator Team

Postby Peacock » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:50 am

Wow, thanks bellableau . I went to 'so delicious' website and did store locator. Looks like they have gone mainstream in Chicago and US with several store offerings including Whole Foods and several other local grocery stores. I will give their products a try. Soy, Cocunut and Sugar free !!

Thank you Cathy, Soy is an interesting product (for some reason I have always avoided Soy-must be a guy thing). I will give it a try.
Yes, I have always had my Coffee 'hot out of the pot' with milk + several splenda's. There is no doubt it causes a flare up in me (increased redness and oil).
I have been in denial about this top 'trigger' ---hot drinks----I will do some testing over the next few weeks including the non dairy alternatives.
Thank you
Peacock
Star Member
Star Member

Postby NVpixie » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:39 pm

Very good information! Food intollerance obviously comes out in strange ways sometimes. :)

I had an eczema outbreak on my foot about a year ago and taking a zinc supplement totally cleared it up within days! Then, this morning when I woke up, I noticed my face was a bit more "blotchy" than it has been in the last week so I told myself I have to take my zinc today. I took a 50mg pill.

It's great to hear you've had such success simply by changing your diet. I know it's a tough thing to do, but much safer than some of these "experiments" and "concoctions" we apply to our skin :P
NVpixie
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Monamiga » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:24 am

Some thoughts:
I looked into the Trace minerals Liquimins Ionic Zinc supplement, and decided against it, because it has an ingredient that is labelled "Concentrace" which is a proprietary blend of 72 trace minerals. I am doing some reading on minerals, and I'm sure it's harmless, but I wanted to give the zinc a go all on it's own. So, I ordered it from another brand. It does seem good that the liquimins brand also has the copper added...

As for the dietary stuff.... it's such a tough issue. I did the "candida" diet for a couple of weeks (which included some dairy) and my rosacea went away almost completely. It's hard to know if it was the diet (food restrictions) or not, though, because I also was religiously taking my supplements (many of them) and also the "killers" or anti-fungals. Who knows what factor caused the rosacea to subside? Also, I got sick after two weeks, and reverted quickly back to my old eating habits, and it all came back. So SOMETHING in the mix was making the difference. The good thing about doing the strict form a diet (dietary approach) is that you should get results pretty quickly. If you don't, then you can stop being strict, and pursue other treatments. If you try the slow and easy method (which I have been doing for years now) things get confusing very quickly unless you are keeping a detailed diet diary. (Something I'm not so good at) One thing about Megan's journey which appeals to me so much, is that in the end, she says she is able to eat pretty much whatever she wants.... That is something that I have not heard from very many people who adopt rigorous, difficult diets. Personally, I have decided that I'm going to give the zinc a try all on it's own for a week or two. Secondarily, I've purchased two books on elimination diets and allergies. I think I might go for the strict dietary method (assuming the zinc won't do the job all on it's own) just so I can see some quick results. If it is food, and I do a strict elimination diet, it should only take a week or two before the rosacea is noticeably different.... this is my thinking... only time will tell!

Peacock... you are a guy, right? If you care at all about your testosterone, please don't eat any soy. It's a powerful estrogenic, and can wreck havoc with your male-ness! It is tempting to use soy because it is nearly a complete protein and comes in forms resembling dairy, but it's not worth it hormonally. Even women should be extra careful with it, and even then, really, only menopausal women should use it in moderation - treating it more like a medicine than a food. I'm not just making stuff up. I have a really interesting research article written by two of the FDA's soy experts who tried to get the FDA from approving soy. It's fascinating stuff, and I can send a copy to anyone who wants it, just PM me. Or, if lots of people want to see it, I can just post the whole thing here.... I only have it as a PDF, sorry, I can't "link" it.
Coconut is a good substitute, but often comes with many additives. You can use plain coconut milk out of the can, but be aware, this was one of the foods on megan's original "no" list.... (then again, what isn't!?) Just kidding... anyhow, each of us has to try out our own stuff to see what works, and what affects us!
Monamiga
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby bellableu » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:42 am

Peacock wrote:Wow, thanks bellableau . I went to 'so delicious' website and did store locator. Looks like they have gone mainstream in Chicago and US with several store offerings including Whole Foods and several other local grocery stores. I will give their products a try. Soy, Cocunut and Sugar free !!

Thank you Cathy, Soy is an interesting product (for some reason I have always avoided Soy-must be a guy thing). I will give it a try.
Yes, I have always had my Coffee 'hot out of the pot' with milk + several splenda's. There is no doubt it causes a flare up in me (increased redness and oil).
I have been in denial about this top 'trigger' ---hot drinks----I will do some testing over the next few weeks including the non dairy alternatives.
Thank you

You're welcome! I'm glad it's accessible to you - good products. I'd love to see a little competition come in to lower the prices a bit, but I'm happy the option is there at all. I can't do soy at all (immediate flare, borderline allergic reaction even), and I avoid dairy (I will occasionally use half-n-half in my coffee, but only very very occasionally) because they both worsen my Rosacea, so I was really glad to find an option that allows me to continue my morning coffee habit. It's the only really questionable food habit I have left - I'd like to keep at least one, KWIM? (thinking)

It might be the temperature - by the time I add creamer and drink it, my coffee is only warm, not hot. No problems.

A correction your statement above, though - it's coconut milk based, so not coconut free. (blush) They have a large line of soymilk products tho', which I won't recommend to anyone - I agree that soy is NOT food. ;)
Subtypes I, II, IV - mild to moderate

“You do what you do because that’s what the harmony of the universe requires." ~ Ram Dass
bellableu
Moderator Team

Postby LoisAnne » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:01 am

I find all this talk about soy to be very disturbing. (shocked) As a vegetarian, I have used lots of "fake meat" products in my diet, most of which are made from soy. My husband, being lactose intolerant, uses soy milk. He is also a chemist who has done a lot of research on supplements, etc. but I don't think he has read anything particularly about soy products. We could switch to lactose free milk with no problem but I would like to read the article by the FDA agents if possible.
Soy is a natural product, I assume, coming from soy beans.
LoisAnne
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Postby LoisAnne » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:12 am

Bellablue: I wish I knew how to do those neat quote things that people do on this forum....but I don't. However, I want to take issue with your statement that soy isn't a food. I don't think you could convince the asians of that....they eat a lot of tofu! :)
LoisAnne
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

PreviousNext

Return to Foods & Diet