Red meat & Dairy/Neu5Gc molecule

There is a lot of interest in how what you eat can affect your rosacea. Some foods can cause a flareup in rosacea symptoms. Also the makeup of your diet in general will affect your health for sure and also your rosacea.

Re: Red meat & Dairy/Neu5Gc molecule

Postby GJ* » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:48 am

Hey Aurelia

A tub of B&J choc fudge brownie ice cream contains a little over 100g of simple sugars. Even allowing for the buffering effects of the accompanying fats, that is a lot of sugar to be dumping on the body in one hit.

I would guess that that 100g acts upon blood sugar levels rather more decisively, rather more diastrously if the base level of blood sugars is low, or we might better say, appropriate (if somebody is not eating sugar every couple of hours).

This might suggest (for the rosacean concerned about flushing but not for general health!) that if you are good you must be consistently good and that if you are naugthy it doesn't much matter if from time to time you are very naughty.

It's good that you are enjoying your juices! As you imply finding alternatives to coffee is difficult; finding warm alternatives to coffee harder still. I find herbal teas and whatnot pretty tastless but have happened upon lemon flavour granules which are more toothsome (though about 80-90% sugar!). It tastes exactly like Lemsip, if anybody is interested. :D
GJ*
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Postby Lisamouries » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:34 am

...So, my body went from getting 2 tsps of sugar perhaps every 2 hrs to getting very little in the way of sugar.
Up to that time I have always been able to eat a tub of Ben@Jerrry's without causing a flush. An experiment repeated thousands of times. In these last few weeks however, with less sugar floating about my system, eating a tub of ice cream has caused a definite flush every single time.

Thanks for sharing that GJ. (rofl) I love the fact that it's 'an experiment repeated thousands of times' made me laugh no end. It's good that we can keep our sense of humor through thick and thin.

Take care
Lisa M.
Lisamouries
Moderator Team

Postby deegirl » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:35 am

Since I've cut out the sugar I've noticed my reaction to my typical food triggers has diminished significantly. I am now able to eat plain yogurt (no added sugar), drink a little bit of red wine, eat a small square of 85% pure chocolate (less than 1 gram sugar) and have bananas and oranges (not all these at once). These foods used to cause me major problems. But since I seem to have calmed the inflammation in my system I don't react the way I used to.

I eat tons of asparagus, broccoli, green beans, artichokes, lettuce, chicken (organic), wild Alaskan Salmon, almonds, walnuts, hummus, apples, celery, sweet potatoes, oatmeal, etc. I used to be like a drug addict when it came to sugar (couldn't stop or control myself). I think the amount of simple sugars/carbs most people consume these days is related to a lot of health problems such as diabetes, heart disease, metabolic syndrome X, Arteriosclerosis and so on.

It was really much easier to do than I thought it would be and the benefits have been well worth it.
deegirl
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby zerodog » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:58 am

That sounds like a great start! I bet all that milk you consumed previously gave you some VERY strong bones!!!!
I have cut out dairy and sugar as well, along with gluten. Some success there, waiting on more.
zerodog
Apprentice Member
Apprentice Member

Postby RedDan » Tue May 19, 2009 5:06 pm

More info one Neu5Gc vs Neu5Ac

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/scienceandte ... ecule.html

Good Lord, we are right at the threshold of figuring this stuff out, and we've got to wait out the cure. Argh! I was born 30 years too early! [RedDan FedExs himself to the future]

Basically, what I am coming to realize is that you should "eat your veggies" and stick to veggies, meat 1-2x a week is best and then only fish or chicken (pork? the other white meat? dunno), avoid dairy, no fried food and don't drink alcohol.

Sounds easy, but hard with the current U.S. diet. However, I have some Indian friends that are strict vegetarians and they make the best tastin food at their house ever! I'll have to get some recipes.
RedDan
Apprentice Member
Apprentice Member

Postby Aurelia » Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:40 pm

GJ* wrote:Over the coming days I will be going from a dairy heavy diet(@ 4pints semi-skimmed + ice cream/day) to one which is largely free of it. Might have the odd yoghurt.

I have consumed large amounts of dairy for as long as I can remember. :P

Will be interesting to see what happens.

Hi GJ,

Any chance of an update while you're around ... or somewhat less round?

Kind regards,

Aurelia
Aurelia
Rosacea Veteran
Rosacea Veteran

Postby GJ* » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:43 pm

Hey Aurelia

My non-dairy diet lasted about 14hrs. Quite a feat of self-discipline for me!
I can report that this made no impact whatsoever on my rosacea.

I must concede that a period of inactivity has compelled me to buy 34" waist trousers! My shame knows no bounds.

(wave)
GJ*
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Postby paleo » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:18 am

Red meat also contains lots of zinc, magnesium, antioxidants (CLA) and substances that prevent cancer (coq10).
The fact that ONE out of thousands of compounds in red meat has a bad effect doesn't mean a lot. There are 50 different carcinogens in cabbage (but your liver defuses them all).

Personally, I tried a low fat vegetarian diet, and my skin was terrible. I then thought it worth going to the other extreme - the more meat I eat, the better It got. Probably the zinc.

I'm not a big fan of dairy though. I do better when I cut it out.
paleo
I'm new here
I'm new here

Previous

Return to Foods & Diet