Red meat & Dairy/Neu5Gc molecule

There is a lot of interest in how what you eat can affect your rosacea. Some foods can cause a flareup in rosacea symptoms. Also the makeup of your diet in general will affect your health for sure and also your rosacea.

Red meat & Dairy/Neu5Gc molecule

Postby Artist » Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:25 pm

Anyone improve by cutting red meat and dairy?

I am generally not a proponent of cutting big categories of food out of the diet, and I eat plenty of red meat and dairy. I am curious about this, however, due to the apparent finding that red meat and dairy contain a molecule that, over time, induces chronic inflammation through the chronic induction of antibodies against it.

From: http://esciencenews.com/articles/2008/1 ... rogression

"Their findings, which suggest that inflammation resulting from a molecule introduced through consumption of these foods could promote tumor growth, are published online this week......Neu5Gc is a type of glycan, or sugar molecule, that humans don't naturally produce, but that can be incorporated into human tissues as a result of eating red meat. The body then develops anti-Neu5Gc antibodies – an immune response that could potentially lead to chronic inflammation, "

Artist
Artist
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Re: Red meat & Dairy/Neu5Gc molecule

Postby Aurelia » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:06 pm

Hi Artist,

Thanks for that post.

Have you read "The China Study" by T. Colin Campbell and Thomas M. Campbell II?

Imho, by no means all of their conclusions were proven to follow as consequences. Even so, I did find their warnings about high protein diets made very interesting reading.

Kind regards,

Aurelia
Aurelia
Rosacea Veteran
Rosacea Veteran

Postby Artist » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:14 pm

I have not, but I will look for it since I'm interested in this subject right now. Thanks!!

Artist
Artist
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Postby GJ* » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:33 am

Over the coming days I will be going from a dairy heavy diet(@ 4pints semi-skimmed + ice cream/day) to one which is largely free of it. Might have the odd yoghurt.

I have consumed large amounts of dairy for as long as I can remember. :P

Will be interesting to see what happens.
GJ*
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Postby Aurelia » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:36 am

My goodness! :O Were you brought up in a dairy-farming family?

Please do let us know how you get on.

Kind regards,

Aurelia
Aurelia
Rosacea Veteran
Rosacea Veteran

Postby GJ* » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:57 am

It is a lot isn't it!?
On average, about 1800 kcals a day from dairy based stuff.

The radical change is driven by a realisation that my saturated fat intake is ridiculously high - lots of eggs, bacon and roasted chicken skin too - and eliminating dairy is my readiest means of cutting that while at the same time testing the dairy / skin problem link.

The difficulty will be chomping through other foodstuffs to make up the calorific deficit.
GJ*
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Postby deegirl » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:53 pm

Artist,

That is an interesting study. I am currently reading a book by Dr. Oz (I would love to have him as my GP) and Dr. Rosen called YOU on a Diet. I'm really interested in diet and nutrition and have read a lot of books but this one is a lot more comprehensive about your body's response to inflammation and also dispels some myths about dieting.

Ive recently given up eating processed sugar (very inflammatory for me) and it has really helped my skin a lot plus I'm not starving all the time. I think dairy and red meat will be next on my hit list. I also want to try gluten free to see if that has any effect.
deegirl
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Artist » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:13 pm

I"ve had rosacea over ten years and I've never tried cutting back on dairy and red meat, so I wonder what effect it might have on me as well. In fact, I think I was probably eating a lot more of it because of avoiding other food triggers.

I'm always looking for a book to read and really love anything to do with health or science. Thanks!

Cheers!

Artist
Artist
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Postby GJ* » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:39 am

Here's a thing, not wholly related, but mildly diverting: I drank lots of milk because I drank lots of milky coffees. About four weeks ago I cut sugar from those milky coffees, in order to make them less pleasant, in order to make the business of stopping drinking them - cutting out the milk - less unpleasant.

So, my body went from getting 2 tsps of sugar perhaps every 2 hrs to getting very little in the way of sugar.
Upto that time I have always been able to eat a tub of Ben@Jerrry's without causing a flush. An experiment repeated thousands of times. In these last few weeks however, with less sugar floating about my system, eating a tub of ice cream has caused a definite flush every single time.
GJ*
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Postby Aurelia » Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:37 am

Hi GJ,

Well, that was interesting.

My favourite all-day drink was weak, milky coffee made with low-fat milk, no sugar, and just a hint of coffee. I figured it was almost as good for the system as drinking plain water, but it probably wasn't.

Despite knowing how fortunate we are to have clean, safe water available at the turn of a tap, plain water rarely appeals, so lately I add a squirt of lemon squash, lime cordial or, current favourite, squash made from blackcurrants and boysenberries. Fabulous!

GJ* wrote:So, my body went from getting 2 tsps of sugar perhaps every 2 hrs to getting very little in the way of sugar.
Upto that time I have always been able to eat a tub of Ben@Jerrry's without causing a flush. An experiment repeated thousands of times. In these last few weeks however, with less sugar floating about my system, eating a tub of ice cream has caused a definite flush every single time.

Hmm, that calls to mind two common (but disputed) statements about allergies and food sensitivities:

"The body craves substances it is allergic to."

"Not all bad reactions to foods are immediate and obvious. Sometimes side effects are only seen when the food is removed and later reintroduced."

What do you think about your reactions?

Kind regards,

Aurelia
Aurelia
Rosacea Veteran
Rosacea Veteran

Next

Return to Foods & Diet