WHAT CEREAL CAN I EAT...CONFUSED!!

There is a lot of interest in how what you eat can affect your rosacea. Some foods can cause a flareup in rosacea symptoms. Also the makeup of your diet in general will affect your health for sure and also your rosacea.

WHAT CEREAL CAN I EAT...CONFUSED!!

Postby samina » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:35 am

Hi Guys,

I am really confused about what cereal i can eat in the mornings. Most cereals seem to contain the dreaded 'NIACIN', I have been eating porridge oats as I thought this was safe, but i have read that oats are naturally high in Niacin! Im gutted as i love porridge.

I am in the uk, and would really appricate it, if you guys could give me the names and makes of cereals that would be safe for me to have.

Thanks Alot
samina
Apprentice Member
Apprentice Member

Re: WHAT CEREAL CAN I EAT...CONFUSED!!

Postby CrabbyCathy » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:47 am

Hi Samina,

Have you noticed an increase in flushing after eating cereal in the morning, or you'd rather be safe than sorry, as the saying goes? I eat Crispix every day and my skin doesn't seem to mind.

I have a link here with niacin-rich foods, including cereals, however I think it is U.S. based, so I'm not sure if the brands will be the same in the UK. But here you go: http://www.dietandfitnesstoday.com/nutritioncontentsorted.php?nutid=406
Cathy (makeup)
See my blog for tips and helpful links!
Please note: Any advice offered here is not meant to replace medical advice. Always see your dermatologist.
CrabbyCathy
Moderator Team

Postby samina » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:53 am

just trying things out, as so bad at the mo, wana see if stopped porridge helps. Unfortunetly, the cereal you eat does contain niacin. thanks anyway
samina
Apprentice Member
Apprentice Member

Postby GJ* » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:07 pm

Most rosaceans require quite a lot of niacin to flush. Many, I suspect, could eat a breakfast cereal fortified with niacin and suffer no ill effects.

Here's the thing: niacin is a quick worker. If you are going to flush you will do so within minutes of eating the stuff. If oats have not caused you problems thus far then it is absolutely fine for you to continue enjoying them. (To be clear: once eaten niacin does not linger about the body causing problems for the rosacean, hours, days, weeks after ingestion. Fundamentally, it is good for you.)

If you cannot be bothered with the faffing about involved in making porridge, try some Oatibix. Delightful!
GJ*
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Postby Lisamouries » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:43 am

GJ* wrote:If you cannot be bothered with the faffing about involved in making porridge, try some Oatibix. Delightful!

I'll second that. I love my Oatibix!
Lisa M.
Lisamouries
Moderator Team

Postby CrabbyCathy » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:05 am

Now I want Oatabix. Is it a UK thing?
Cathy (makeup)
Please note: Any advice offered here is not meant to replace medical advice. Always see your dermatologist.
CrabbyCathy
Moderator Team

Postby David Pascoe » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:06 am

Is it like Weetabix ?
Get Rosacea News here: https://rosacea-support.org
David Pascoe
Moderator Team

Postby Aurelia » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:30 am

This morning I added Oatibix to tomorrow's shopping list, in case it is on sale Downunder.

If we don't like it, GJ and Lisa will be had up for spamming. If it's delicious, we'll say no more. 8)

Kind regards,

Aurelia
Aurelia
Rosacea Veteran
Rosacea Veteran

Postby Lisamouries » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:31 am

Aurelia wrote:This morning I added Oatibix to tomorrow's shopping list, in case it is on sale Downunder.
If we don't like it, GJ and Lisa will be had up for spamming. If it's delicious, we'll say no more.

Oh boy. What a responsibility.
I'm a bit of a maniac when it comes to cereal. I don't like mine soggy so I eat them as soon as I pour the milk. I also go for the bitesize ones. I hate the big ones that look too much like some kind of dog food. And yes David they are like Weetabix (same family). I don't know if they are available in the States.

Well, let's hope you do like them...
LIsa M.
Lisa M.
Lisamouries
Moderator Team

Postby CrabbyCathy » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:36 am

I'm going to go to Mollie Stone's supermarket next week; they have an aisle of all things British, so I bet they carry it. I just found the official website.....they kind of look like our (US) Shredded Wheat, only I'm sure oat tastes better.

Great. Now I'm hungry.
Cathy (makeup)
CrabbyCathy
Moderator Team

Next

Return to Foods & Diet