Clarisonic - Passing up a good thing?

Sometimes `off the wall' or experimental treatments for rosacea emerge. Often they are not yet FDA approved or not seen as suitable by doctors. This forum is a place for you to explore these sorts of treatments.

Clarisonic - Passing up a good thing?

Postby Artist » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:33 am

I've been reading about this product lately. It's a brush that cleanses using vibration. The "Bristles" are super fine and soft, and they don't oscillate the way you think they would. They are still. They vibrate on your skin as you glide it over the skin...like it's vibrating the dirt and sebum out of your pores.

Clarisonic has some impressive before/after photos of rosacea:

http://www.clarisonic.com/pdfs/research ... sStudy.pdf

They look good, but remember it's only two people.

Anyway, I searched around and found out that this little gadget is very, very popular in general. I called Nordstrom and they were clean out. They said they always run out soon after getting them.

I also found good feedback from rosaceans who actually use it. I think I've read maybe five or six positive comments, and zero negative ones. This is my favorite one (from MakeupAlley):

"this thing has made more of a difference in my skin than anything else i have ever tried....ever!! i have 52 year old skin, rosacea, and all it's accompanying woes...and this little brush has improved my skin to the point where i rarely stress about it. (i am knocking on wood, yes) i bought it with the kate somerville gentle cleanser in late february, so i've used it from subzero temps to 85 degrees (welcome to vermont!), and wowsers! it really does help the irritation...the KS salesperson told me it would and that's actually what sold me. (i do have to add at this point that the KS cleanser was no good for me...too strongly scented and somewhat drying) i use it with my HG cleanser, MIR, and it improves that product as well..rinses off much more thoroughly and leaves my skin untroubled and happy. i use it once a day, sometimes less, and have the senstive brush on now...but may buy the delicate next, as less is always more when it comes to skincare."

It's expensive, but I found one just down the street from me at a medical spa for a discounted price. I'm trying it with the "delicate" head. I just used it and my skin was not irritated by it at all. It doesn't scrub the skin, but it cleanses more thoroughly than using my fingertips alone. I think this is a great find because I feel like I've always struggled to cleanse thoroughly, yet gently. Impossible! This brush just did both for me. I think the sonic vibrations clear out sebum, dirt, bacteria, lipase - all that junk that may aggravate rosacea. I had to buy the "delicate" brush separately. It comes with a "sensitive" and "regular", but there is also a "delicate" one that is probably best for rosacea.

Cheers!

Artist
Artist
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Re: Clarasonic - Passing up a good thing?

Postby Artist » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:37 am

ok maybe this is my favorite one (from MakeupAlley):

"This is a great product. I have rosacea, so exfoliating with a scrub or even going to the spa for a glycolic peel is out of the question. I can't even use regular moisturizer because my skin rebels. As a result, I have very dry, flaky skin. First my aesthetician, then the nurse who injects my botox and lip filler, raved about this brush. I was skeptical since I have such moody skin. I figured they were just trying to sell a $190 brush. During my last microdermabrasion, my aesthetician used it. It felt soooo good! Better yet, I didn't show a bit of irritation. With some hesitancy I bought it and have never regretted it. It's amazing. It comes with two brushes; one for normal skin and one for sensitive skin. I use the sensitive skin brush and have never had a problem. Also, in the package I got an offer for two free brushes and you get to pick which brushes you want. So I ordered two sensitive skin brushes. When you register your brush, you get a buy one get one free coupon. The brushes cost $20 each, so you get $60 in freebies. Still, it's worth the cost even without the freebies. Don't hesitate on this one.

Update 4/27/2006: I can honestly say I am speechless about how fabulous my skin looks. I have struggled with rosacea for years, and as a result of not being able to use exfoliants, my skin was always super dry and flaky. I always looked horrible. Now, my skin is baby smooth and I've had no irritation whatsoever from the brush. I really can't say enough about this brush. It is a miracle for me. I am going to buy another one tomorrow to stash away, just in case this one ever gives out. I can't live without it."

:D
Artist
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Postby Quiller » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:38 am

Those 2 pictures look pretty good.

Lipase isn't necessarily always bad, P. acnes uses it to produce antimicrobial acids on our skin (I don't have any more details, I'm on a study break from Microbiology and I had just read that little fact.)
KNOWLEDGE = POWER
Quiller
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Postby David Pascoe » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:41 am

Hey Artist,

I just went round and collected some more comments from Clarisonic users too. The brush thingo does seem to be getting pretty good reviews by all - despite it being so expensive. I guess if you spend a lot on exotic cleansers it would maybe by 6 months worth of cleanser ?

Anyway here is the post I just put up with 4 reviews. Clarisonic user reviews.

davidp.
Get Rosacea News here: https://rosacea-support.org
David Pascoe
Moderator Team

Postby Artist » Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:14 am

David: Thanks! Wow, great reviews. I bet I could use just the clarisonic in the morning to cleanse, with no cleanser.

Quiller: Thanks for the input. Here is what I'm thinkiing. Lipase break down oils to make free-fatty acids, adding to breakouts (if I remember correctly). Also, lipase is what M. Globosa uses to break down sebum, creating the irritating byproduct, oleic acid, which leads to seb derm.

Although, the information about lipase is confusing to me and sometimes contradictory. Maybe there are different types..

Lipase and rosacea is discussed in this NRS study: http://www.rosacea.org/rr/2001/fall/article_3.php
"In addition, some substances were secreted by the bacteria at the higher temperature that were not produced at the lower one. This included a type of enzyme known as a lipase -- a protein that acts to speed chemical reactions -- that may break down oils on the skin surface, potentially leading to blemishes and inflammation. Moreover, while all samples from rosacea patients produced the lipase, half of the samples from people without rosacea did not."

I am thinking loosening and clearing the sebum may be a big benefit. Less sebum, less to be broken down into irritating substances, less clogging, more moisture is allowed to penetrate..

BTW: When we read "oils on the skin" - don't they mean sebum? Why do they say oil? Do we have other oils coming out of our skin? Isn't it just sebum? Why don't they say sebum?

Artist
Artist
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Postby Quiller » Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:49 am

Artist wrote:Although, the information about lipase is confusing to me and sometimes contradictory. Maybe there are different types..

It looks like there are many types, it might be only M. globosa that produces oleic acid as a byproduct. Anyway, the sonic brush looks pretty neat. Someday I'll have the money for cool toys like that...
KNOWLEDGE = POWER
Quiller
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Postby sarah » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:28 am

Hi
Iam very interested in buying onebut live in the uk, does anyone know of anywhere i can ge one without having to pay the huge shipping costs.
Thanks Sarah
sarah
Apprentice Member
Apprentice Member

Postby Lisamouries » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:29 pm

Certainly looks interesting. Would be nice to hear from someone here using it. If you manage to get one Sarah let us know how it goes.
Lisa M.
Lisa M.
Lisamouries
Moderator Team

Postby Artist » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:01 am

Sarah: Ebay has a bunch of them. I would just be sure to get the "delicate" brush and start slowly. I used it last night and this morning and so far so good. I really like it so far - a little early to tell yet..

Quiller: They do have a good return policy. Also, you can interchange the heads so others can use it. Maybe someone would go in on it with you - if it turns out to be a good thing, anyway..

Cheers!

Artist
Artist
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Postby sarah » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:45 am

Hi Artist
Thanks for that i am going to order one off ebay now. Feeling slightly nervous about cost but if it improves my skin it will be well worth it.
I think i might have to buy an adaptor to go with it or does it use batteries as well? Can anyone tell me the most suitable adaptor to buy?
Thanks again
Sarah
sarah
Apprentice Member
Apprentice Member

Next

Return to Experimental Rosacea Treatments