My cure for Rosacea

Sometimes `off the wall' or experimental treatments for rosacea emerge. Often they are not yet FDA approved or not seen as suitable by doctors. This forum is a place for you to explore these sorts of treatments.

My cure for Rosacea

Postby Rohan » Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:43 am

Hey everyone,

Firstly, I'm not here to sell anything, promote any products, or make any sort of claims that this is 'THE' cure for rosacea. That's why I've titled it 'My cure for Rosacea', but I genuinely from the the bottom of my heart hope that it works for everyone reading this so that all we sufferers can be cured of this depressing condition that often just takes over your life.

My background: I'm 26, Male, Indian, fair-skinned (didn't even know Indians could get rosacea, until I learnt that any fair-skinned person of any ethnicity can develop it. Yay me!). No acne in childhood or teenage years, except some very rare mild breakouts. Perfect skin at age 24. Redness began at 25, rosacea bumps by 25 and a half, and proper moderate rosacea (pustules, acne-like bumps, the whole thing) at 26 (current age). Misdiagnosed by most doctors as regular adult acne, until an inner voice convinced me it's rosacea. And then some of the doctors thought 'yeah, perhaps'. And such is the state of this condition worldwide that many rosacea patients simply go undiagnosed. For anyone who suspects they have rosacea, I strongly urge you to rely on your own research and not blindly go with the diagnosis of dermatologists, who in my own experience often don't have a clue about this condition. And prescribing regular acne medications like BP or tretinoin often makes rosacea skin worse. So please, trust your own instincts. Anyway, long story short, here's my routine.

Cleanse: Neutrogena Extra Gentle Cleanser (no more than twice a day, any excessive scrubbing makes rosacea skin worse, and please, no hot water!)

Treatment: Aziderm 10% gel (this is an Azelaic acid gel made in India). I'm sure an equivalent can be found in other countries. I suggest sticking with the 10% if you're skin is super sensitive like mine. Any stronger and the potential for irritation increases. The 10% itself causes a stinging sensation the first few tines, but skin quickly adjusts. Do this twice a day, applying a thin film on all the affected areas. Note: If you're dark-skinned, be careful with Azelaic acid, since some stray cases of hypopigmentation have been reported with its use. Do check with a doctor if extremely concerned.

Sunscreen: I use the Clinique CC cream spf 30 since it covers as well as protects, and has no silicones. However, any sunscreen should do, as long as it's zinc-oxide based and doesn't have known irritants like Oxybenzone and Avobenzone. Suncreen is a must since sunlight is one of the primary triggers of rosacea.

Supplements: Vitamin A (Betacarotene 30mg), Vitamin C (1000mg), Vitamin E (400 iU). These must be taken daily, and you can include Vitamin D sachets once a week.

Diet: No alcohol, refined sugar, coffee or tea, and dairy products.

Don't use any other product (moisturiser, toner, exfoliator etc) while on this routine.

I've been doing this routine only for a week, and seeing dramatic results. Almost a 30% decrease in rosacea bumps and redness. Also my post inflammatory hyperpigmentation from previous breakouts seems to be fading too. I'm confident and positive of clearing it all in the coming weeks, and I'll definitely keep y'all updated. For others like me who have tried everything and nothing has worked, do give this routine a shot. I truly wish that all of us can overcome this condition together :)

Love and support to all,
Rohan
Rohan
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: My cure for Rosacea

Postby fanny » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:08 pm

Thank you so much for posting your routine, it is very helpful for the rest of us. I wish you continued success.
Best wishes
Fanny
fanny
Moderator Team

Postby Rohan » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:45 am

Thanks Fanny. The latest derm I went to says it's not rosacea. Sigh. However, I still stand by the fact that this routine will help rosacea. I'm going back now to conventional acne treatments.
Rohan
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Rohan » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:46 am

Thanks Fanny. The latest derm I went to says it's not rosacea. Sigh. However, I still stand by the fact that this routine will help rosacea. I'm going back now to conventional acne treatments.
Rohan
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Angelic80s » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:06 pm

I definitely find that Zinc helps alot, although i didn't see you mention it. Maybe worth a go?

Diet has a HUGE effect on rosacea (actually.. even more on other skin conditions imo). Although this is impractical, whenever I have fasted, my rosacea has gone away completely.

I think a less severe version of this is not eating any sugar or carbohydrates. Alot of people say that SIBO might be causing rosacea but I'm undecided.. On the one hand, sugar makes sibo worse and also makes rosacea worse (coincidence?) but on the other hand, probiotics completely fixed up my rosacea (and eczema!). I'm not quite clear on how it all works yet but I am really interested in it still, especially now the worst of it is behind me :)
Angelic80s
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby fanny » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:32 pm

Welcome Janet
Can you tell us more about how probiotics has helped you?
Best wishes
Fanny
fanny
Moderator Team

Postby Angelic80s » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:24 pm

fanny wrote:Welcome Janet
Can you tell us more about how probiotics has helped you?
Best wishes
Fanny

Hi Fanny,

Thanks for the welcome!
I was going to do a write up on how they helped me in a sort of product review/personal history style of post. I've tried so many things and done some rather extreme experiments at times (zero carb diet for several months for example) and I think it could benefit alot of people here who may have done some of the older treatments (rifaximin etc.)

However, I'm not too sure where to post it in this forum though... I want people to read it and benefit but i don't want to appear spammy or put it in the wrong section. It's about probiotics so i was thinking 'foods and diet' section or 'systemic' section..
I could make a post when I get off work soon. (I'm making this post in my coffee break!)

Thanks again!
Angelic80s
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby fanny » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:42 pm

Hi Janet
I appreciate you not wanting to appear scammy, love that word! What this board hates are links to bogus websites and false claims. You do not sound like that at all!
all the best
Fanny
fanny
Moderator Team

Postby Angelic80s » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:21 pm

fanny wrote:Hi Janet
I appreciate you not wanting to appear scammy, love that word! What this board hates are links to bogus websites and false claims. You do not sound like that at all!
all the best
Fanny

Haha, Actually i said 'spammy'! But I guess it means the same thing. I'll do a post on it later. They do have their own site but I first found it on ebay and I don't think that's a bogus website haha ;)

I did check the site when i got it from ebay. It's got alot of general probiotic info but doesn't seem to make any specific claims. I'm from the UK though and I think this product is too, so i think they aren't allowed to make unproven claims. We have this massive store chain called Holland and Barretts and almost all their supplements don't say what they're for! You have to do the research online first to be able to know what you need.
Angelic80s
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Angelic80s » Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:06 pm

So after giving this a thorough test (and admittedly forgetting to report back haha!) i can safely say that this probiotic has helped me tremendously.
If the mods are ok I'd like to state the name of it, because i've tried many brands and forms of probiotics and this is the only one that has helped me.
No wonder though because it is much higher 'dosage' than the others. I've even tried higher dosage than it recommends and i've seen even better results.
It's called 'Elixa'. Pretty easy name to remember. They have a website if you want to read a little more about it http://www.elixa-probiotic.com but I first spotted them on ebay so I assume you can get them there also. I think they posted a bit faster when I ordered from their site... but they came within a day or two in any case, so there's not much in it.

First thing I noticed is my general body skin getting much smoother. I started taking more because they seemed to be really helping my 'digestive function', so to speak... Things were working much better than ever. After a while even the rosacea cleared. I can only imagine what these would do for someone with serious IBS or acne. I think this will become popular with the ladies soon!!

Sorry for waiting so long to update you all ;)
Angelic80s
I'm new here
I'm new here

Next

Return to Experimental Rosacea Treatments