Silver sulfadiazine (INN, or silvadene)

Sometimes `off the wall' or experimental treatments for rosacea emerge. Often they are not yet FDA approved or not seen as suitable by doctors. This forum is a place for you to explore these sorts of treatments.

Silver sulfadiazine (INN, or silvadene)

Postby genifoss » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:47 am

I have been using silvadene for my rosacea for about a year now. I began using it after having it prescribed for a burn on my neck. I cannot begin to tell you the positive results I have had both with redness and pustules. Really, it is the best treatment I have ever used. I have been diagnosed for 8 years now and have been through every possible treatment my dermatologist could offer, except for lazer treatments. I did not use these. I just wanted to let ya'll know the amazing results I get with it, but am afraid that when I run out of the cream that the doctor will not re-fill it since it is not a common use for rosacea.
genifoss
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: Silver sulfadiazine (INN, or silvadene)

Postby fanny » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:20 pm

Hi
Thanks for your post. Naturally I googled it and this what drugs.com writes "Silver sulfadiazine , a sulfa medicine, is used to prevent and treat bacterial or fungus infections. It works by killing the fungus or bacteria." So it does make sense that it would work for rosacea, even though I have not heard of it before. I cannot see why your doctor would not prescribe it for you if it works for you. The only caveat would be if this topical has some serious side effects from continuous use.
Best wishes
Fanny
fanny
Moderator Team

Postby flyinger » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:48 pm

genifoss wrote:I have been using silvadene for my rosacea for about a year now. I began using it after having it prescribed for a burn on my neck. I cannot begin to tell you the positive results I have had both with redness and pustules. Really, it is the best treatment I have ever used. I have been diagnosed for 8 years now and have been through every possible treatment my dermatologist could offer, except for lazer treatments. I did not use these. I just wanted to let ya'll know the amazing results I get with it, but am afraid that when I run out of the cream that the doctor will not re-fill it since it is not a common use for rosacea.

Very interesting, I've never heard of it. I wonder if it is similar to sulfacetamide which is routinely used for rosacea.

-Dave-
flyinger
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby genifoss » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:04 pm

I'm not sure by what mechanism the silvadene works, but I was doing research about sulfa and it's role in the treatment of rosacea. That's when I thought about the silvadene cream I had. Truthfully, it has worked better than any treatment my dermatologist has prescribed since my diagnosis(2005). I still have breakouts when I consume my trigger foods/drinks, but I just keep applying it (just a small small amout on my cheeks - where my acne breaks out & depending on the severity of the breakout, it clears completely up within 3-4 days. Otherwise, I apply it to my cheeks after cleansing (I only use water to cleanse my face) and after my face air dries. My face stays clear of "pimples" otherwise.
genifoss
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby genifoss » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:36 am

Hi, this is Geni Foss again. I posted about a year ago about Silvadene cream and how much it helps my rosacea, especially the embarrassing "pimples". I also only use water to cleanse my face & let it air dry a use just a tiny amount on the break out areas. So when I have my trigger foods/drinks, I know that I will be breaking out to some degree, but with the silvadene cream, I know that my face will be clear in just a few days - not so much the redness, but amazingly with the "pimples". I'll try to take some pics next time I have a breakout and how the silvadene works. I just have always been camera shy ! I don't understand why this option has not be studied before??!!
genifoss
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Chumbus » Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:55 am

I have started using Silver Sulfadiazine, two concerns I have are, the long term use and in my country (NZ) it is available in brand name Flamazine, on the tube instructions it has "Discard any unused cream 7 days after opening" that could get very expensive, how vital is this?
Chumbus
I'm new here
I'm new here

Return to Experimental Rosacea Treatments