New Derms New Suggestion - No face wash, no moisturizer

Sometimes `off the wall' or experimental treatments for rosacea emerge. Often they are not yet FDA approved or not seen as suitable by doctors. This forum is a place for you to explore these sorts of treatments.

New Derms New Suggestion - No face wash, no moisturizer

Postby kdmansfield » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:50 am

I am a 27 year old female who began to develop Rosacea at the age of 20. It progressed from redness and flushing to pustules and papules and eye irritation. I have linked my rosacea flare ups with alcohol, stress, seasonal change and broad spectrum antibiotics (like amoxicillin). I have tried all of the common rosacea treatments over the years: every long-term oral antibiotic mentioned on this blog (oracea, minocyclin, batrim, etc), topicals (metrogel, finacea), many over the counter washes, moisturizers and treatments (clinque, aveeno, eucerin), acne treatments (diffren gel, salicylic acid). Nothing kept the rosacea flare ups away and they continued to return. Each time the symptoms were worse and I was begining to have heart burn and GI problems, like vomiting, diarrhea and nausea everyday, from the antibiotics.

I specifically wanted to get off of the long term antibiotics and tried another new derm. Her suggestion was to stop washing my face with a typical cleanser and stop using moisturizer of any kind. I thought she was crazy! I have dry skin (or so I thought), but she assured me that my skin would equilibrate and begin to make its own oil. To remove make up and dead skin cells she suggested I buy Aqua Glycolic (Alpha hydroxy acid) toner and use it 1-2 times per week (apply toner, rinse right after with tepid water). To remove eye make up I use Neutrogena make up remover wipes. I do not wipe my face with the make up remover wipes.

To my surprise, my face started making oil and did not get tight or flaky. I do no wash my face. I may use an exfoliating scrub once a month when it looks like I have accumulated dead skin and need some sloughing. I have not had a rosacea flare up since. I do get one or two pustules when my stress levels are high or I drink too much wine, but nothing compared to my previous symptoms. I have not yet taken a course of antibiotics using this method, but I will update you about the results when that happens.

My end note here is that I was obsessed with products to get rid of my rosacea when I needed to get rid of the products.

These links may not work but these are 2 pics of my moderate rosacea flare ups.
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-Je3I ... -k/065.JPG
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-Or9r ... 37/128.JPG
kdmansfield
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: New Derms New Suggestion - No face wash, no moisturizer

Postby fanny » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:43 pm

Hi and many thanks for your post! I have been using only water to wash with and I also use no moisturzer. It seems to work for me, but as we well know all rosaceans are not the same!
I am so glad you have found something that works for you.
All the best
Fanny
fanny
Moderator Team

Postby davem81 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:26 pm

This is interesting. I stopped applying moisturiser to my nose (my main problem area) some time ago, and doing so did seem to help reduce it's oiliness. I still apply it to the rest of my face, however, as this is usually dry skin as opposed to the very oily skin on my nose.

I currently wash my face twice a day. However, I do remember as a teenager, my doctor advising washing/rinsing my face with ONLY water. Maybe this is something worth revisiting (after my teenage problems, I had 6-7 years relatively problem free, before starting with severe rosacea p&p's literally overnight, almost five years ago now).
davem81
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Postby spencer » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:02 pm

I only wash my face in the evening to remove makeup and, even then, I use a cream-based cleanser. I try to not strip away the skin barrier. i find that cleansers can really compromise the barrier. Recently, I even stopped using water in the morning. I've just applied a bit of moisturizer and my skin has never been more calm. Interesting that your derm recommended AHA, as most people with rosacea steer clear of AHAs. But, perhaps if it's gentle enough and you have a lot of buildup? Anyway, good to hear it's working for you!
spencer
Star Member
Star Member

Postby Angy79 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:39 pm

Hi.
Wow, your skin looks almost exactly like mine! I don't wash my face either (only rinse with water during my morning shower) but I do use moisturizer because my skin is so dry.
I am considering trying your approach, although I am somewhat afraid to try an AHA...
Thanks for sharing, and I hope you'll have continuing succes!
34 year old female, diagnosed with rosacea nov 2007
Subtype 2 (p&p) with minor flushing (mostly stress/emotion related)
Subtype 4 (occular rosacea) / "meibomian gland dysfunction"
Angy79
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Postby kdmansfield » Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:31 am

April will start month 4 of this regime. I use the AHA maybe once every 2 weeks and I use that or an exfoliating face wash (philosophy brand right now).

I also saw a new derm who saw my pics and recommended that it could be pityrosporum folliculitis. I am looking into this. The suggested treatment was to use pyrithione zinc (dandruff shampoo) on my scalp and face? I'm serious. This is from a dermatologist at the University of Pennsylvania.
kdmansfield
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Angy79 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:54 am

Is your face still nearly clear?

I've heard of pyrithione zinc shampoo (it's in Head and Shoulders) before, as a treatment for seborrheic dermatitis.
I just did some googling on pityrosporum folliculitis and read that the same treatments are used as for seb derm. So it's not that weird for a dermatologist to recommend pyrithione zinc shampoo for pityrosporum folliculitis.
Are you going to try it? (If I were you I'd stick to the regiment you're on now, why change a succesful approach?)
If you have scalp issues too though, why not use Head and Shoulders? Let us know!
Angy79
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Postby LoisAnne » Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:48 am

I have had either seb derm or folliculitis on my scalp for years and have successfully used Head and Shoulders for it. I used to use the strongest one called "Intensive Care" but the company has changed all the names, I think. I have also heard of using it on skin to clear up seb derm but never tried it for my p&ps. Now I find that using a shampoo containing tree tea oil (I use Avalon) works better than the Head and Shoulders. I also use Tree Tea oil soap on my face (a special kind I order online) and as a bath soap (from the grocery store) and it has cleared up my face as well as bumps on my back and chest. I am a real fan of tree tea oil!
LoisAnne
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Postby Angy79 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:19 pm

If you don't mind, have a few more questions for you kdmansfield.

You said in your first post you thought you had dry skin.
I read on the internet about folliculitis that it mainly consists of pustules caused by plugged sebaceaous glands. This would only be the case with someone who has oily skin, or am I wrong in assumpting this? Did you have papules or also/mainly pustules? I ask this because I can't really see pustules in your picture. I myself have only papules (with an ocassional pustule but they are rare) and dry skin. So even though in your picture your skin looks like mine, we might still be different? I mean, after reading so much on pityrosporum folliculitis I don't think I have this.
What is yout theory? Do you think you have it, or do you "just" have rosacea?
I'm really curious because I am at a loss right now as to what else I have to do to try to improve my rosacea. It would be nice to know for sure that it is or is not similar to what you have so I can either try the Head&Shoulders approach or dismiss that one. Also, I still feel like trying your zero treatment approach.
Angy79
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Postby Angy79 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:57 pm

Ok - I've found some new information. This website http://www.aocd.org/skin/dermatologic_d ... folli.html says:
- people with PF usually have oily skin
- it appears like a rash with papules and OCCASIONALY a whitehead
- it itches
- it is aggravated by the use of greasy creams
- it might be aggravated by antibiotics

I have 4 out of 5 of these features which makes me think...

Did you know that Selsun shampoo (selenium sulfide) and Loprox shampoo/cream are also recommended for treatment? Those might also be worth a try.
Also antifungal creams like ketoconazole and Lamisil (terbinafine) or the -azoles (miconazole etc.).
Angy79
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Next

Return to Experimental Rosacea Treatments