Homeopathy

Sometimes `off the wall' or experimental treatments for rosacea emerge. Often they are not yet FDA approved or not seen as suitable by doctors. This forum is a place for you to explore these sorts of treatments.

Re: Homeopathy

Postby CrabbyCathy » Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:02 am

Peacock, I need to add, RLT is not unproven; many, many forum members, both here and on other boards, are proof that it works. Does it work for everyone? No. Why? Maybe they couldn't stick to using it daily for months, maybe a small percentage have skin that doesn't respond well to it. But there is proof that it works. Was an actual study done? I'm not sure, and I can't check right now, but that was good enough for me to buy a lamp myself. Sticking to it is my problem! :P

Supplements, that's another story. There are so many out there that do work, but what does that mean? It so varies from person to person, both which supplement works, what it does for them, etc. etc. It boggles the mind. It's up to us to decide if we want to try ourselves, how much money we want to spend, etc.

I consider myself to have "nutritional issues"--food triggers is what I'm assuming you meant? But I don't think I, or others with rosacea, really need a licensed Nutritionist. There are lists of trigger foods readily available, and since it's, once again, so different with all of us, it's a matter of trial and error and paying attention to our bodies. If one happens to have newly diagnosed diabetes, needs to be on a renal diet or low-sodium diet, licensed dieticians/nutritionists are great.

Sometimes, a little venting here can also help; we all have days when we're a little more down, especially (I know this is the case for me) when my face is full-flare, but it doesn't mean I or others need to see a therapist. We just need to share with others that will understand, and then we feel better--usually. We feel we're not alone and get reassurance we will heal from the horrid flare, reaction to x and y, etc.

My two cents! (;)
Cathy (makeup)
See my blog for tips and helpful links!
Please note: Any advice offered here is not meant to replace medical advice. Always see your dermatologist.
CrabbyCathy
Moderator Team

Postby oldredlady » Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:26 am

Cathy, I'm hoping to be one of the red lamp success stories one of these days. :)

Best wishes,
oldredlady
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Postby CrabbyCathy » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:26 am

You will be! Crossing fingers! (hug)
Cathy (makeup)
See my blog for tips and helpful links!
Please note: Any advice offered here is not meant to replace medical advice. Always see your dermatologist.
CrabbyCathy
Moderator Team

Postby oldredlady » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:58 am

Thanks twin.

(hug)
oldredlady
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Postby bellableu » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:39 pm

I've had success with Homeopathy for several health issues, but not with Rosacea.

I've used it with success on pets (worming treatment - effective & didn't put my cats at any risk), which does set aside the placebo effect IMO.

It's funny how the topic almost always turns controversial. Homeopathy has a longer documented history of success than what we currently call mainstream medicine.

It is very individual for most issues - it's not a tablet for a particular condition, it's tablet based upon one person's combination of symptoms plus behaviors, personality, emotional responses, etc. Spencer's explanations are very helpful. As with most treatments (even mainstream medical ones), your mileage may vary. Not everything works for everyone. There are good MD's, mediocre MD's, lousy MD's. Same with Homeopaths. In both cases (in ALL cases), the skill of the practitioner is paramount to the success of the treatment.

Scoffers will scoff. Those who have had success will keep the door open to it.

Except for the fact that I have had to pay for office visits out of pocket (Homeopathy not covered by the insurance I had at the time), Homeopathy was - overall - less expensive than mainstream medicine for me. Now, as I have no health insurance coverage whatsoever, Homeopathy would be less expensive than an MD's office visit plus any prescriptions. Perhaps it's different elsewhere, but I'm not sure where the subject of expense supports mainstream medicine plus prescription pharmaceuticals OVER homeopathy - in the US, it's usually more a question of how much you pay out of pocket as opposed to what is covered by insurance. If you are not insured at all, or your insurance has high deductibles, etc., the expense of homeopathy is likely more manageable than treatment by an MD. Cost as an argument, though, is unrelated to effectiveness.

If it works for you, it's effective. If it doesn't, well ... :)

So there's one viewpoint. :)
Subtypes I, II, IV - mild to moderate

“You do what you do because that’s what the harmony of the universe requires." ~ Ram Dass
bellableu
Moderator Team

Postby spencer » Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:04 pm

Really interesting feedback and so well put. Cathy, I wish I knew where you could find practitioners in the States. You could go with a naturopath, who has studied multiple healing modalities, or a homeopath who has just studied the one. The naturopath usually takes a more allopathic approach toward prescribing (i.e. treating symptoms, but with herbs, supplements, etc.) while the homeopath looks at treating the overall syndrome of body and mind the patient is experiencing. The homeopath also has a much more extensive background in homeopathy, having potentially studied homeopathic principles/remedies for years while a naturopath may have only studied it for months. Go with what resonates with you. I will keep in touch with you about what works for me. On a side note, I have gone back to using the turmeric cream (Albi Naturals' PsoriaGold) and I've been happy with the results so far. It's only been a week, but I'll give you more feedback in a month.

Homeopathy is always such a controversial topic and rightly so. It doesn't make any sense if we look at it through a Western lens. On the other hand, there are examples of how the principles of homeopathy are used in Western medicine. Dana Ullman, renowned homeopath, cites the following examples: Immunizations are the most obvious example where small doses of a weakened pathogen are used to prevent what a larger dose caused. Modern allergy treatment, likewise, utilizes the homeopathic approach by the use of small doses of allergens in order to create an antibody response. Conventional medicine also uses homeopathy's principle of similars in choosing radiation to treat people with cancer (radiation causes cancer), digitalis for heart conditions (digitalis creates heart conditions) and Ritalin for hyperactive children (Ritalin is an amphetamine-like drug that normally causes hyperactivity). Other examples are the use of nitrogylcerine for heart conditions, gold salts for arthritis, colchicine for gout and, if I'm not mistaken, homeopathic principles are even used in the case of rosacea (e.g. Sulfur, Arnica).

But the main difference between mainstream medicine and homeopathy is that the former is given to prevent or cure ailments while the latter are substances (i.e. homeopathic medicines) that are individually prescribed based on the overall syndrome of body and mind symptoms the person is experiencing. And therefore homeopathic medicine is thought to strengthen the person's overall body/mind constitution, not just to prevent or treat a specific illness. This is why you might find that, while you may feel better overall and more minor symptoms improve, the primary issue that you wanted addressed in the first place (rosacea) can sometimes be the last to go. The other primary difference between allopathy and homeopathy is that conventional medicine treatments are not individually prescribed with the high degree of selectivity that is common in homeopathy, and they are not prescribed in a small or safe dose.

I could go on and on about this subject, as it is so fascinating. It is hard for many to wrap their minds around homeopathy as it is a significantly different pharmacological approach to treating sick people. Instead of using strong and powerful doses of medicinal agents that have a broad-spectrum effect on a wide variety of people with a similar disease, homeopaths use extremely small doses of medicinal substances that are highly individualized to a person's physical and psychological syndrome of disease.

So small is this dose that it is appropriate to refer to them as part of the newly defined field of nanopharmacology. A significant body of conventional scientific research has verified the powerful biochemical effects of extremely low concentrations of biological agents. Quoting from Dana Ullman, "chemicals in the brain called beta-endorphins are known to modulate natural killer cell activity in dilutions 10-18 (this expression means the substance was diluted 1:10 eighteen times). Interlukin 1, an important part of our immune system, has been found to exhibit increased T-cell clone proliferation at 10-19. Phermones (hormones emitted externally by various animals and insects) will result in hypersensitive reaction when as little as a single molecule is received."

I think it easy for the conventional medical field to discount all alternative healing, as it threatens to undermine the allopathic profession...not to mention the pharmaceutical industry. This is part of the reason it was phased out in the early 20th century, despite the fact that it was a more popular healing modality than allopathy. Medical schools were threatened to have funding withdrawn if they didn't conform to a more pharmaceutical-based approach, thus making the U.S. the pharmaceutical powerhouse it is today. Interestingly, homeopathy is still well and thriving in Europe and other parts of the world.
spencer
Star Member
Star Member

Postby oldredlady » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:51 am

Wow, Spencer, well written and informative, this makes me wish (like Cathy) that I could visit you and get your professional opinion on my rosacea. I'm not well informed by any means, but I do agree that what works for one may not for others and I, for one, don't like to discount options before giving them the old college try, (though it's been a few decades for me). :)

Do let us know how the turmeric cream works. I'm still taking oral turmeric capsules, (950 mg. daily), and while I don't see much improvement as yet, I remain hopeful. :)

Best wishes,
oldredlady
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Postby Peacock » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:36 am

Crabby Cathy...I so applaud your efforts of inspiration and support on this website.You have helped so many with your honest approach
and words of hope and wisdom. Bless you.
Peacock
Star Member
Star Member

Postby oldredlady » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:43 am

Peacock wrote:Crabby Cathy...I so applaud your efforts of inspiration and support on this website.You have helped so many with your honest approach

A BIG A-men to that!!! :)

Best to all,
oldredlady
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Postby LoisAnne » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:25 pm

oldredlady wrote:
Peacock wrote:Crabby Cathy...I so applaud your efforts of inspiration and support on this website.You have helped so many with your honest approach

A BIG A-men to that!!! :)

Best to all,

Me 3!! We can form a "Crabby Cathy" admiration society! (yahoo)
LoisAnne
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

PreviousNext

Return to Experimental Rosacea Treatments