Something that seemed to work

Sometimes `off the wall' or experimental treatments for rosacea emerge. Often they are not yet FDA approved or not seen as suitable by doctors. This forum is a place for you to explore these sorts of treatments.

Something that seemed to work

Postby BeckaR77 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:05 pm

Hi everyone. I recently did a little experimenting with self-medication to augment my doctor recommended treatment and it has worked miracles. I'd like to throw it out there and see if anyone else has had the same experience.

First, I was diagnosed a few months ago with acne and ocular rosacea, and from the beginning I felt a little funny about it. I don't dispute that I have rosacea, but it really wasn't following what my dermatologist's PA declared was a normal course and it wasn't responding at all to treatment. The PA was convinced that I'd had the acne for years untreated, which wasn't really the case. I'd had what she called skin tags around my eyes (apparently from hormonal ups and downs) but I didn't start getting the ugly red sores until around last October. Then they positively exploded everywhere and my face was constantly stinging and itching. I went from having the occasional bump to literally having my face covered in them...singly and in clusters...and a bright red sunburn flushing in just a matter of a couple of days. The dermatologist wasn't very helpful to me the first time I went in to see him (gave me less than five minutes and didn't answer questions, apparently because I don't have health insurance and am self-pay) but he prescribed doxycycline and Noritate which made the problem spectacularly worse. They had to see me again (his PA this time) and she was more helpful, switching me to Finacea. The Finacea didn't help the itching or stinging and after weeks on it I didn't see any improvement at all. The PA told me that it would probably take three or four months to do any good.

Then I started reading about the demodex mite theory and, because at that point I was willing to listen to anything, I decided to act on it. My skin was absolutely horrible. I was ashamed to go out in public and it went from stinging and burning before the moisturizer to hurting ALL THE TIME. So I thought to myself if mites are the problem or if it's some sort of bacterial infection then I should address that first. I started with this regimen: every morning I would use gentle cleanser and lukewarm, almost room temp, water to wash my face, then I would soak a cotton ball with rubbing alcohol and rub it over my problem areas: forehead, cheeks, tip of nose and chin. I would let that dry for a couple of minutes (the fumes are terrible) then rinse. Then I'd put on the Finacea (sparingly because it's $149 a tube, lol), let it absorb, then Oil of Olay moisturizer with SPF 15. At night I would rinse with cleanser again and then apply a generic Selsun Blue (Wal-Mart brand) as a mask overnight. I alternated that a bit with the normal Selsun Blue but I found that the normal stuff would really sting if I left it on while I slept. I did that every day and after just four days noticed a very dramatic improvement. In a little over a week all the ugly red sores had completely disappeared and now I only have a couple of small pink bumps visible. There are still some flesh colored bumps scattered around but the horrible sunburn flushing has nearly faded too. I still have a bit of a reddish tinge like I'd been out in the sun just a few minutes too long but nowhere near the bright, bright redness I had. Now it's very slight and mostly around my forehead and nose. My cheeks are almost clear. I cut back on the alcohol to three times a week and the mask to every third night but so far it's remained exactly like this for two weeks. I'm being super careful about my triggers - wearing sunscreen every time I go out and not taking any steamy hot baths or showers, and being careful to stay moisturized - and so far it's maintaining. I'm still taking doxycycline daily but have added a multivitamin. I have no idea what has helped, or if it was a combination of all factors, but I am extremely thankful. I'm wondering if anyone else has had the same.
BeckaR77
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: Something that seemed to work

Postby FredTheRed » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:56 pm

Hi Becka

I tried the mites route before as well. I mixed tea tree oil with jojoba oil. I found that my skin would calm down immediately when i put it on , but overtime my face got very dry . i never heard of pulling alcohol on your face.. I always assumed alcohol was a big no no.. What kind was it ? vodka? :)

Fred
FredTheRed
I'm new here
I'm new here

Return to Experimental Rosacea Treatments