We've been thinking about rosacea all wrong

Sometimes `off the wall' or experimental treatments for rosacea emerge. Often they are not yet FDA approved or not seen as suitable by doctors. This forum is a place for you to explore these sorts of treatments.

We've been thinking about rosacea all wrong

Postby rosaceasufferer » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:33 pm

Hi Everyone,

I don't post here often but I wanted to share some exciting information I've learned recently that may completely change the way we think about and treat rosacea ("r" from here on out).

Some background: I've had gluten sensitivity for the past 20+ years. It developed after a terrible bout of food poisoning in my late teens. My stomach never recovered. I went to all the doctors and gastroenterologists. No one ever suggested it was something I was eating. Fast-forward 8 years or so. Someone randomly suggests cutting out gluten. I do, and my digestion greatly improves. Years go by, and although I stick to the GF diet, my digestion is still not 100%. Eventually I cut out dairy. Then I go through a terrible divorce. I went off birth control pills. My skin starts breaking out. I put something on my skin to see if it will clear up. It turns out mistakenly to be topical steroids. :O And thus I develop "r" (type II). Back and forth on antibiotics and topical antibiotics and anti-fungal topicals, etc. Some of it works for a while but then it comes roaring back. I see a nutritionist and begin to severely restrict my diet (low FODMAP, SCD, Paleo diet) and start taking nutritional supplements (including antimicrobials). My digestion improves and so does my skin, but I stop the anti fungal and my skin worsens. I can't even wear my glasses anymore. I see an aesthetician and she gives me products to calm my skin and I begin LED treatments. This helps, but I still get breakouts. My skin still feels like it's crawling, burning, tingling. (:|

I decide to see a functional medicine doc. They run a battery of tests on me. There are some markers of inflammation but no "smoking gun". She suggests DNRS (Dynamic Neural Retraining System) -- a program geared mostly toward those with multiple chemical sensitivities, fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue, etc. Initially, I am extremely skeptical. How could retraining my brain solve my "r" and food sensitivities? I start watching the 8-DVD program (there's also an in-person seminar), and it is starting to make a lot of sense. The idea behind it is basically this: We're all exposed to environmental toxins, but for some of us there is a traumatic event that triggers our limbic system to overreact and get stuck in a "trauma loop." DNRS gives you the tools to retrain your brain and stop overreacting to environmental triggers. An analogy is when a stroke patient relearns to walk; although that part of their brain is dead, their brain is able to make new connections thanks to intensive therapy. The idea here is the same. YOU GUYS, IT'S WORKING. (yahoo) It takes a lot of effort -- they ask for a one-hour commitment for 6 months. I've only started a few weeks ago but I am seeing amazing results. ((Well, sort of -- as part of my therapy I took down all the mirrors in my house -- but it's very hard not to look at yourself in reflections of windows, etc. I did sneak a look the other day and the red dots/redness ARE GONE.)) The tingling has subsided significantly. I'm not cured or perfect yet, but I feel well on my way. (I ate a bunch of cheese the other day and stopped an outbreak WITH MY MIND.) This isn't easy and you can't do it on your own. DNRS gives you specific tools. (BTW, I am not a sales rep for DNRS, although maybe I should be! Lol.) I am now considering doing the in-person training because supposedly it is more effective. The testimonials on their site are amazing and encouraging. (Also, my DOCTOR recommended this, which I find stunning.)

Anyway, I am now a firm believer that "r" is a symptom of a trauma loop we are stuck in and we have to retrain our brains to stop overreacting to foods, sun, wind, alcohol, contact, etc. Others have suggested that "r" is related to stress, and in many ways, that is correct. But it is not all in our minds. The symptoms are very much real. It's just that our brains control our bodies. Luckily our brains are plastic and can be retrained! I think this has HUGE implications for totally reframing how we think about my chronic diseases.

So, please, PLEASE, stop thinking that "r" is terminal and can't be cured. In fact, stop thinking that you have "r" -- stop using the word! You can heal yourself and you don't need supplements or doctors or fancy treatments. Have hope. Google DNRS. (dance2)
rosaceasufferer
I'm new here
I'm new here

Return to Experimental Rosacea Treatments