Success with Candela VBeam Treatment

V-Beam is a type of Laser, as is Pulse Dye Laser. Use this forum to talk about these sorts of laser therapy might suit your rosacea.

Success with Candela VBeam Treatment

Postby sew1974 » Thu May 14, 2009 4:49 pm

I have been receiving Laser Treatments for over a year now. Initially I received treamtents once per month (at least 3-4 weeks apart). By the second treatment even my 14 year old son noticed the difference. Although the laser treatments are not a "cure" for Rosacea, they significantly improved my condition. Every now and then I have a flare up and I go back and see my doctor and have a treatment. I now feel I can leave the house without make-up, when I do wear make-up it is very little and I feel better about myself overall. The BEST part was that my insurance covered the treatments. All I had to pay was my copay! Other doctors had said it was not covered, but when I found my current physician life changed! The Candela VBeam DOES work. I can't say enough about it! I would love to see more people benefit from this. I know how hard it is to live with Rosacea. I suffered from large pustuales, scarring, pitting, severely broken vessels. Finally I look in the mirror and I am happy with what I see! :)
sew1974
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: Success with Candela VBeam Treatment

Postby SouthernMoss » Fri May 15, 2009 12:46 am

That's wonderful that you have had such good results, and have been able to get insurance coverage for your treatments!
SouthernMoss
Moderator Team

Postby Aurelia » Fri May 15, 2009 2:51 am

Hi sew1974 and welcome to the group. (wave)

Would it be correct to assume that your laser doctor is Robert Shavelson?

I'm glad to hear that you are doing so well, but would you be kind enough to tell us why you have just now decided to post to us about his treatments?

Kind regards,

Aurelia
Aurelia
Rosacea Veteran
Rosacea Veteran

Postby Aurelia » Fri May 15, 2009 3:32 pm

Hi sew1974,

There are several rosacea boards on the internet. We're all friendly, love to hear from newcomers, and we often read messages on each other's boards.

I noticed that after putting up two posts here, you went to the Rosacea Forum and put up two quite similar posts there. That is fine. What disturbed me a little was seeing that when a Forum mod asked the obvious question "Did this doctor ask you to come here and sing his praises?" you replied "No I was not asked".

I'm happy to accept that you were not asked to post at the Forum, but it seems highly improbable that you were not asked to post here because on May 13 Dr Shavelson wrote: "I will ask my patients to join the forum and post some testemonials to the success we have had with Laser treatments, as well as the success we have had in the office in billing insurance and obtaining reimbursement."

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=942

You popped up here the next day, then Dr Shavelson told us: "I am having patients log in to give testemonials ..."

If he is your doctor, you seem to have been put into a very awkward situation, and we sympathise. Perhaps it would help if we could clarify the situation?

We really value hearing from rosaceans and do our best to help them feel "at home", comfortable about discussing their experiences and sharing what is on their minds. However, members and mods alike are wary of spammers who post to promote products or services. We are particularly uneasy when someone asks other members to contact them privately for further information. That usually suggests spamming and goes against the spirit of self-help boards, where information is freely shared in the public eye so it can help everyone.

We would hate to reject advice on potentially good treatments or treatment providers. However, it is widely regarded as unacceptable for doctors of any kind, whether physicians, dermatologists or laser/IPL practitioners, to ask patients to post praising them. Unfortunately, it always triggers suspicions that the patient might have been rewarded in some way. Please note that no one is accusing you of anything. I'm just explaining how these 'not for profit' groups work.

Perhaps your doctor might instead like to concentrate on improving his web site, putting up his best Before and After photos so prospective clients will have a much better idea of what might be achieved? Another option would be for patients who want to post their happy stories on the boards to provide photos, even if part of the face is obscured to protect their privacy. That would go a long way to boosting credibility.

Kind regards,

Aurelia
Aurelia
Rosacea Veteran
Rosacea Veteran

Postby sew1974 » Fri May 15, 2009 5:14 pm

To all people on the site~

Yes - my doctor is Dr. Robert Shavelson. I was in the office for a treatment the other day and had asked for more info on my condition during regular conversation. He told me of your site and that he had browsed through it a long time ago there was lots of great information. So while I was in the office he showed me the site so I knew how to find it and I read that people were asking for the testamonials. This is why I provided mine because of my great results. I think this information could help lots of people. As I was, everyone seems desperate to find successful treatments that are actually affordable. I had the similar situation, a dermatologist told me it would cost $1000 per treatment, I couldn't afford that, so I lived with it. I feel very fortunate to have found someone who understands that and searched for answers to make this affordable to patients. After looking at your site, I browsed the internet and realized there were lots of these sites and I think it is wonderful! So "asked" I was not, rather I am trying to offer information and possible solutions for people with similar conditions to the Rosacea I had suffered from. I WILL post pictures, I am just not great at that stuff....so hopefully I will be able to do so over the weekend...then you can SEE the amazing difference pre and post treatments. Thanks....
sew1974
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby SouthernMoss » Sun May 17, 2009 6:47 pm

We're looking forward to seeing your pictures, sew1974. In the meantime, could you describe a V-beam session for us? I'm not really familiar with them. How much pain or discomfort is involved, both during the treatments and afterwards? Does you face stay sore or red for a long time afterwards? Is yours a purpuric or sub-purpuric treatment?
SouthernMoss
Moderator Team

Postby sew1974 » Sun May 17, 2009 7:55 pm

The VBeam treatment itself does hurt some. The Candela VBeam versus some of the other types, I understand is a little more comfortable due to the fact it has a cooling mist spray that happens simultaneously to the Laser pulse. So, yes it is painful, but tolerable. Unfortunately the numbing creams used for other types of treatments (like acne or some of the cosmetic procedures) constricts the blood vessels, so for best results it is not ideal for the vascular conditions like Rosacea. My face tends to be pretty red and welty for several hours after the treatment and sometimes a little swollen the next day. Then it subsides. The other question, I should probably know the answer to, but I am honestly not sure, I will have to ask him and get back to you.
sew1974
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Aurelia » Sun May 17, 2009 11:54 pm

Hi "sew1974".

Thanks for your explanation about VBeam treatment. We don't hear much about it, other than that the system works for some rosaceans, doesn't work for others - just like every other kind of treatment, including drugs and topicals, hence the "lucky dip" element.

In terms of lasers generally, sub-purpuric means that the laser strength is kept low enough not to cause any visible bruising. Purpuric means with visible bruising, often purple, and with the strongest treatments, possibly even appearing black so it looks as if the person has been burnt even though they definitely aren't. (That used to happen years ago, but probably no longer occurs.)

If the only immediately apparent effects on your face are looking "red and welty for several hours" then "sometimes a little swollen the next day", that means sub-purpuric leaving no bruises.

People don't always understand that there are a whole range of different kinds of lasers and other light treatment systems, from the very gentlest LED and fluorescent lamps that might take months to show any effect at all right up to the C02 type lasers that take off layers of skin to trigger healing (like chemical peels) but are regarded as far too harsh for rosaceans.

It sounds as if, despite the pain or discomfort, the treatments you get are basically pretty gentle and don't damage the surface of the skin. Have I got that right?

Then how long after do you start to notice good results?

Kind regards, and thanks,

Aurelia
Aurelia
Rosacea Veteran
Rosacea Veteran

Postby sew1974 » Mon May 18, 2009 12:46 pm

You are right, I have not experienced any bruising. Yet I know that if he went deeper I could have had bruising and possibly faster results, I was nervous to do that, as I work daily and couldn't afford time off. I have heard the Fraxel and CO2 lasers aren't very effective for rosacea but are more for pitting and scarring from acne and or wrinkle reduction. Well, I had a treatment on Saturday after not having one in quite awhile, it is monday morning now and I no longer have the few capillaries that had broken and my skin looks 80-90% better. Usually within a week I see the change.
sew1974
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Aurelia » Mon May 18, 2009 2:58 pm

Thanks so much for the additional information. Much appreciated, and I'm glad you're happy with the VBeam.

For your skin to be already looking "80-90% better" just two days after a treatment, I take it the laser isn't one that damages the surface to trigger healing, just works under the surface or on the veins. Is that right? (I understand a bit more about IPL than some of the other forms of treatment, simply because more is written about it on the boards.)

Probably my last question is about number and frequency of treatments. With Fraxel, I've read that the recommended course is a minimum of 5. With IPL, I think the recommendation is an initial course of 8 treatments, then add more sessions (or even more courses) as long as improvements are still being seen, with the hope that when the condition plateaus, the improvement can be maintained long-term by just occasional "top-up" treatments.

Is it like that with VBeams? Do you know if most rosaceans start off with just one or two treatments, or are they recommended to have a course of X-number of treatments?

May I ask how many you've had to date and what the maintenance schedule is?

Kind regards,

Aurelia
Aurelia
Rosacea Veteran
Rosacea Veteran

Next

Return to V-Beam and Pulse Dye Laser