Suspicious of no purpura

This is a huge topic for rosacea sufferers. The choice of laser, IPL, and other light therapies is vast. The number of possible modalities and choice of machines is bewildering. Pick a sub-forum and see what you can learn.

Suspicious of no purpura

Postby pindlelou » Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:26 am

rosacea laser day 4.jpg
This is my second "to purpura" pulse dye laser. This is day 4.
(271.85 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Hello,

Looking for opinions. About 6 years ago I had pulse dye laser done on my rosacea. I had severe purpura from the laser which lasted about 12 days (maybe 10, I can't remember exactly) but after it went away, my face was about 80% clearer. Three years after that, I had it done again, and again had the severe purpura which faded away to leave me about 80% clear (or more). Now 2 years have gone by and I decided I needed to get it again. When I called the plastic surgeon who did it before, he no longer had the machine and couldn't do it. So I had to find someone else. I did research and picked someone who is board certified, facial plastic surgery, etc etc.

This new doctor says he doesn't treat to purpura, that it's unnecessary and he can clear it up just as effectively without the purpura (and the recovery time) . He said that he was trained to treat to purpura, but now does some other technique (still pulse dye laser) that doesn't leave purpura. He said it was just as effective and I wouldn't have to go around for 12 days with a purple beard. So I paid him $350 and he did the treatment. I did have swelling of the lower eyelids for 2 - 3 days afterward, but no purpura. However, it only improved my skin maybe 20%. So I went back to him 6 weeks later and he said that of course it would require more than one treatment, maybe 4 treatments. I told him that before when it was done to purpura by the other doctor, I only had to have it done once every couple of years. He didn't say much except commented on how I had to go around with a purple beard for 2 weeks, etc.

Anyway, I plunked down another $350 two days ago for him to do it again. This time it hurt pretty bad for some reason (never hurt this bad before)...but no purpura (but do have major swelling of the lower eyelids). I'm suspicious. I know I'm going to have to get it done at least one more time here in the next month (he said), and then maybe another one after that. That's $1400!! With the other doctor it was $400 and that was it for 2 or 3 years.

Should I find a doctor who will do it to purpura? Or stick with this one and hope that it works? Any insight would be much appreciated.
Thanks
pindle
pindlelou
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: Suspicious of no purpura

Postby pindlelou » Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:29 pm

Also, I wanted to add, the swelling of my lower eyelids that I'm experiencing from the laser is pretty extreme. It is stretching out my under eye skin...that is going to make my skin there look worse, isn't it? My skin there is already thin and crepey and I hate it almost as much as I hate the rosacea. At least when I had the purpura-inducing laser I only had to swell once. With this non-purpura I am going to be swelling 4 times in 4 months. And it's severe swelling that lasts for 3 days.

Grrr...I'm feeling like I just threw $700 down the drain with this doctor.
pindlelou
I'm new here
I'm new here

Return to Laser & IPL Therapy