My particular case and 5 Vbeam treatments

This is a huge topic for rosacea sufferers. The choice of laser, IPL, and other light therapies is vast. The number of possible modalities and choice of machines is bewildering. Pick a sub-forum and see what you can learn.

My particular case and 5 Vbeam treatments

Postby :Diana: » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:36 am

Hi everyone, with this being my first post I would like to thank everyone who made this forum possible, it has a lot of info and I've found it extremely helpful but expecting even more help from anyone out there, I'll let you know about why I'm here.

My boyfriend and I (yes, 'we' because it affects both of us) are going through this madness for about 8 months now. It started when he went to see a dermatologist because of a very bad acne on his cheeks and forehead and also having very oily skin (we later discovered a probable seborrheic derm), trying to do 'the right thing' and not just using over the counter medication. The doctor gave him a cream that is prepared under specific prescription (like 20% something/35%something, etc.) and this thing was the nightmare, it triggered his rosacea (at that point we didnt even knew he had it and honestly, to this very point we still don't know for sure) it caused kinda like a very bad sunburn with itchiness and burning. We went to see another doctor who told us 'contact dermatitis' caused as an allergic reaction to one of the ingredients (that was an acid) in that hell cream, we treated that with different creams and one of them containing corticoids causing him redness and vessels to dilate A LOT.

We went to a third doctor after finding out about laser treatments as a faster option, we had 1 session of Nd:YAG-Laser with very few results. While waiting for the next session we went to see a fourth dermatologist and he dismissed rosacea diagnosis and went with the seb derm as the main problem, regarding the acid that caused the redness he just told us it apparently burned his skin and nothing else to do about that, and as for the neodym yag he practically laughs about laser treatments. That same day we went to the fifth doctor and currently the one who's doing the vbeam treatment, from day one he told us he really 'couldn't say' if the redness was caused by the rosacea that was triggered because of the acid on that cream or if it was seb derm, asking him to PLEASE give us a certain diagnosis, he told us since the symptoms were associated to either rosacea or seb derm or even just the whole different products my boyfriend was putting on his face one right after the other, he really 'could not tell' for sure unless he did a biopsy and this would give him a hole on his face and was no worth it, but he did told us indeed the acid on the cream it was the thing that caused the redness. He told us the yag laser wasn't useful since it targets very deep vessels, so he recommended the Vbeam Perfecta (which happens to be in only two places in the country, the clinic where he works at and a child's hospital) either if my boyfriend had rosacea or just redness from the burn caused by the acid, either way this laser was the right solution for him with a maximum of 4 sessions, one month apart, 6 joules (what i saw on the machine settings)

At the beginning of the treatment my boyfriend had his redness all the time and it got worst with triggers like hot rooms, hot food, exercise, etc. as we went forward with more sessions the improvements were shown with his normal state, but if he got into a crowed room for example it still got him to turn very red. We recently found out about the non-purpura and purpura type of shoots, but on session #3 (hopefully the last one at the doctor said that day) the doctor shot him a small spot causing him to bruise for like 3 weeks and it took more than a month (and an extra laser session) to get rid of the last signs of the bruise. He never did that bruising thing again, and we continued with the treatment until the 5th session were we are right now.

The problem now is that we are a few days away from session #6 and the only thing that we see as an improvement is at his normal state (at least that's what we though, we are not sure anymore) he is not red all the time but when walking into a restaurant or after waking up at the morning he still gets red with the same intensity like no treatment at all, even just because of apparently no reason at all he turns red. So basically, after finding out about the purpura and other stuff in the forum we're wondering if he's using the right power settings, if is necessary to get bruised (accordingly to what i've read, the bruising means the vessel burst and is really gone), we're also thinking his vessels are re-growing instead of being absorved as they're supposed to. We want to try bruising on #6 but that was supposed to be the last one (according to our finances) and we've read it takes at least 3 bruising treatments to see any progress and i believe that should be true, since the one bruising the doctor did, didnt really made any difference and we can still see the vessel that he said he shot and did the bruise for.

We're going under big stress because of all this, it happened from one day to another just like that. Thank you to all of you who take the time of reading this, I tried to give as much detail as possible on the main issues, but believe me there's more of our story.. or nightmare actually :-(
:Diana:
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: My particular case and 5 Vbeam treatments

Postby fanny » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:09 pm

Hi
How wonderfully supportive you are, it warms my heart. i am thinking that he is suffering from inflammation associated with rosacea and if that is so then oral antibiotics are the only answer. you are correct in supposing that v beam only addresses permanent redness and not inflammation. He could try topical antibiotic like metro gel, if he hasn't already. Some people have found relief from allergy pills like zyrtec etc.There is a difference of opinion in the rosacea community as to the gentle or aggressive settings or laser treatments, I am not a fan of aggressive but as i say others will have different opinions.
This is the most difficult aspect of rosacea to deal with and I can relate because this is me as well.
take care of yourselves
Fanny
fanny
Moderator Team

Postby :Diana: » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:36 pm

Hi, Fanny thanks for your kind response. As for antibiotics my boyfriend went under 3 months of Minot but those pills were given to control pimples and he had some very bad ones and at least these pills didn't seem to make any BIG difference, he still can get pimples and those bad too, and doctor says is normal to get those EVEN under treatment, so we don't really see the point on keep taking them and also read on the internet Minot is not advisable to be taken for more than 3 months straight.

We've tried numbers of creams and all of them just caused him to get even more red, it's basically like he cannot put any stuff on his face, even sunscreen recommended for rosacea and redness makes everything worse. We're always scared of trying new creams on him because bad experience always, he uses a very very gentle lotion to wash his face and that's the most he can handle but it also makes his skin go dry after a while. I'm going on more research about this metrogel your suggesting, see if i can get it over the internet.

We'll go see the doctor probably this weekend and see what he says about this, i'm going to ask for the inflammation you're considering that might be his problem. Thank you very much again.
:Diana:
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby fanny » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:08 pm

Hi
Often jojoba oil can work well for dryness and even though it is an oil it does not exacerbate pimples.
All the best
Fanny
fanny
Moderator Team

Return to Laser & IPL Therapy