Swelling and First IPL Treatment

This is a huge topic for rosacea sufferers. The choice of laser, IPL, and other light therapies is vast. The number of possible modalities and choice of machines is bewildering. Pick a sub-forum and see what you can learn.

Swelling and First IPL Treatment

Postby larryse » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:58 pm

I'm 67 and have had "moderate" Rosacea for about 4 years. After treatment with the usual, Metrogel, Foracea, diet, sun, etc. my MD suggested I try the IPL treatment. My main flareup culprits are spicy foods and any alcohol other than a glass of white wine.
I have a good amount of redness and none of the other had helped. We discussed what I thought were all the possible outcomes that the IPL treament might create.
The treatment went as most have described on the forum and I used ice packs the first night. She only treated my cheeks and nose, not my whole face. There was no any unusual swelling or bruising.
When I woke up the next morning my eyes were swollen nearly shut and my cheeks were greatly swollen. My MD explained it as because I am very "vascular" that caused the large amount of swelling. I kept ice packs on all facial areas, especially under my eyes, for the next 3 days.
It has now been 4 days and most of the swelling has gone except for some slight bags under my eyes. There is no visible bruising and the redness of my cheeks is about like it was before the treatment.
Has anybody on the forum had such a reaction to your first IPL treatment? What did you do next, did you continue IPL treatments or go back to the other drugs, etc.?
larryse
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: Swelling and First IPL Treatment

Postby sandrad » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:22 pm

I have not yet done an IPL (I am newly diagnosed) but I am considering it. I have done some research and my Derm's office told me it takes 2-3 weeks for the IPL results to take full effect. Since it's only been a few days maybe you will see some improvement in the redness as the days pass. My Derm's office told me it's hard to tell how someone's face will react before the 1st IPL. Some people will have almost no symptoms, others will be red and flushed looking for a week. Why don't you give your Derm a call , or maybe you can in for a follow up visit? Let me know how you fare.

Best,
Sandra
sandrad
I'm new here
I'm new here

Return to Laser & IPL Therapy