Swelling with IPL

This is a huge topic for rosacea sufferers. The choice of laser, IPL, and other light therapies is vast. The number of possible modalities and choice of machines is bewildering. Pick a sub-forum and see what you can learn.

Swelling with IPL

Postby CrabbyCathy » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:55 am

I had my 6th IPL yesterday. I noticed with the 5th and 6th time, I had/have swelling that lasts 2-3 days. I really hope this goes down by tomorrow. My cheeks are extremely round--chipmunk-ish, if you will :) I wouldn't care if I had a few more days off from work, but I don't. Been icing, which really helped the redness, heat, and swelling yesterday. But this is a different type of swelling, if that makes sense. Guess we have to lower the settings next time.

Just read that Benadryl can help, so I'll take some at bedtime and see what happens.
Cathy (makeup)
See my blog for tips and helpful links!
Please note: Any advice offered here is not meant to replace medical advice. Always see your dermatologist.
CrabbyCathy
Moderator Team

Re: Swelling with IPL

Postby CrabbyCathy » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:08 am

Been looking at my face. If I look carefully and tilt my head a bit in the light, there are areas that seem like "indentations". No, not fat loss or other scary things people post, but it appears the "white" areas of my face are not that swollen, but the ones that are most afflicted by the rosacea, aka the "reddest" areas, are the areas that are most swollen. My cheeks feel different too when prodded, a little firmer. Hard to explain. Seems a little stupid to say it feels swollen, but it does! (;)

I'm still applying ice off and on, will take Benadryl as I mentioned, and also read that sometimes a steroid cream can help, in addition to something like Aleve or Advil. Shall try all and update here. I thought of calling the IPL office too late, but I might call tomorrow morning, just to see what they recommend.
Cathy (makeup)
Please note: Any advice offered here is not meant to replace medical advice. Always see your dermatologist.
CrabbyCathy
Moderator Team

Postby fanny » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:37 pm

Hi
Heres hoping the "swelling" has improved. I have to admit that is exactly what put me off further ipls. The good thing to know is the swelling did not last.
Take care
Fanny
fanny
Moderator Team

Postby cinder » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:49 pm

I had one bout of swelling a lot like yours. The down side of IPL is that the stronger the intensity, the better it works, so the techs walk a fine line between enough and too much. One good thing was that I noticed a big difference after a few weeks after the time I swelled . Bit of a trade-off.

Cinder
cinder
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Postby JP1 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:42 pm

Hope your swelling has gone down. In my case it did not, now over six months later still in place. I have read that IPL can form new collagen and I think this has happened to me. I have an oval shaped area under my left eye next to a group of papules. I am sure the tech increased the intensity to try and deal with the papules but over did it. I really regret not researching this area fully before committing to the six treatments... At my clinic they did not have a doctor present, which I understand is best practice, nor did they give me a test patch. How was experience?
JP1
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby vedderzzgrl » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:33 pm

Hope you are doing well Cathy , I have read many of your posts and you seem like such a great person , and I personally find you inspiring :) , btw how long does everyone ususally wait befor they go for ipl
thanks
Melissa
vedderzzgrl
Apprentice Member
Apprentice Member

Postby CrabbyCathy » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:07 am

My swelling went away by Sunday. Yay! Not sure what helped for sure, but Benadryl, lots of icing, and gentle massage is what I did. Oh, and Aleve.

I see a marginal difference in the "white" areas, but as it's only not even a week after my treatment, I'll wait and see what happens! My next one is in about 3 weeks from Tue.

Not sure if I should ask her to back off (I seemed to see the most "whitening" after my 4th treatment); I was thinking of asking for those settings again.

I have learned that if I go after my period, I can tolerate pain so much better. Certain settings hurt, sure, sometimes certain areas a lot, but I can take it. Twice I have gone the week before my period, simply because of the timing of the IPL's, and you could have peeled me off the ceiling. I could only tolerate two rounds (rather than 3 or 4) and my God, they were painful.

Thank you all for your kind words, Melissa :) I think most people try other routes (topical and oral medications, for instance..avoidance of triggers) before deciding on IPL. Finacea and avoiding triggers does wonders for me, but from years of not knowing what my triggers really were, experimenting with this, or that--it has left me with little damaged capillaries that will not go away unless they're zapped away.

JP1, my clinic doesn't have a doctor present, but the lady doing my IPL is a Physician's Assistant (as was the lady who performed the treatment at Stanford, the very first time I did them), and both did/do an excellent job. I did have a Nurse Practioner (two, actually) who did my treatments, and while they did know what they were doing, and had been doing it for a few years, their technique left much to be desired, as did their knowledge of gauging which filters/strength to use. No damage to my skin, but honestly, not much improvement either.
Cathy (makeup)
CrabbyCathy
Moderator Team

Postby JP1 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:27 am

Ok, all the best. At my clinic, in London, England, some of the sessions were managed by the assistant. Those seemed to be trouble free, I think she was so cautious that the treatment had no chance of either helping or hurting my skin. But for the final treatment the head of the clinic, a nurse, did the treatment. It must have been a higher setting because it hurt much more and the results much worse. My nose for instance was white before the treatment but has now gone red, I am sure the IPL inflamed it. I am still upset about my decision making in regard to choosing IPL, it was expensive and has caused potentially permanent damage to my face and confidence. I will see a derm again soon to discuss further, surely this will not be permanent, but I could see it taking a couple of years to recover, it has bee six months already. I am interested in any improvements people with rosacea have noticed after IPL because I did not experience any meaningful change to be honest.
JP1
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby vedderzzgrl » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:23 pm

hi cathy how did your ipls go :)
thanks
melissa
vedderzzgrl
Apprentice Member
Apprentice Member

Return to Laser & IPL Therapy