First post about rosacea and IPL concerns

This is a huge topic for rosacea sufferers. The choice of laser, IPL, and other light therapies is vast. The number of possible modalities and choice of machines is bewildering. Pick a sub-forum and see what you can learn.

First post about rosacea and IPL concerns

Postby JP1 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:16 pm

This is my first post. I live in England. In Dec 2010 I had what I think was swine flu. it was certainly the worst flu ever. One week after it cleared I woke up and found a tiny pink blemish by my eye. it was the start of acne rosacea. I have since seen a number of doctors, all of whom have been pretty clueless about this. I have been on oral antibiotics and tried both Metrogel and Protopic, both prescribed. Nothing has helped to be honest. If anything the treatment have made matters worse. My doctor suggested IPL and I did follow this advice. I now regret doing so. It was expensive and I had six sessions last winter from Sept to early Jan. This did marginally help the papules but caused, I am sure, an area of swelling under my left eye. Over six months on it is still there. Has anyone had a similar experience from IPL? I have read that post inflammatory hyper pigmentation can take up to a year to heal? I think that is what has happened. I have also beome much more light sensitive, my nose has turned red at the first sign of sun, even with SBF 50. So that is new, I never had that before the IPL. All in all I find rosacea a huge pain just at the point in my life (I am 38 with wife and young kids) that I have other and more important issues to be concerned with. Can anyone give me some good advice, I feel depressed about this and out of ideas. I have seen my doctor recently about depression. I need some support.
JP1
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: First post about rosacea and IPL concerns

Postby fanny » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:28 am

Hi
It is a huge pain and I am so sorry for your suffering. The trick is not to let it rule your life, whilst this is difficult it is not impossible. Try putting a visual stop sign up in your brain when you find yourself obsessing for example. If you feel you are clinically depressed please consult a professional.
Sadly what works for one person does not work for another, that is the frustrating part of this condition. be gentle with your skin, no harsh cleansers, scrubs and the like, moisturise if necessary, using something gentle like, cetaphil or cerave. Always do a patch test first to make sure you do not have an allergic reaction. i like to use a zinc oxide based sunscreen with no added ingredients. I use cerave when I feel the need and wash with water. If I get a lot of unsightly red bumps I put a little OTC hydrocortisone on them. I know it is a steroid but I don't slather my face in it and if used occasionally I don't see the harm. Other people may disagree.
keep your head up
Fanny
fanny
Moderator Team

Postby cinder » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:38 pm

Welcome....I was under the impression that IPL didn't help the papules, but just the underlying redness? For the P&P's my dr. gave me Doxy and Finacea cream. I did have some swelling once with the IPL, but it went away quickly. Did you ask the tech about it the next time you went in?

This whole rosacea thing just sucks and I hope you find your personal "key" to dealing with it soon.

Cinder
cinder
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Postby JP1 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:19 pm

cinder wrote:Welcome....I was under the impression that IPL didn't help the papules, but just the underlying redness? For the P&P's my dr. gave me Doxy and Finacea cream. I did have some swelling once with the IPL, but it went away quickly. Did you ask the tech about it the next time you went in?

This whole rosacea thing just sucks and I hope you find your personal "key" to dealing with it soon.

Cinder

Thanks for your comment. Yes, I did speak to the clinic about it but they said it was just the rosacea progressing, I doubt it. I assumed it would heal up months ago. Now, six months on, it is slightly better but it will take a long time to heal I think and it could be permanent. Not what I expected at all. I wish I had taken more heed of the clinic disclaimer form that warned about burns, I did have a moment of doubt when signing it and now wish I had just walked out of there.
JP1
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby LoisAnne » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:24 am

You mention you tried antibiotics with not much improvement but you did not specify which antibiotic you used. Some are probably better than others. I found that minocycline helped me the most. Do they have Oracea or an equivalent in the UK? Oracea is a time released doxycycline that is low dose and you can use it for long term. I think it was designed for use with Rosacea. Some have been greatly helped by using it so it might be worth looking into.
I have found the best thing for my papules has been the use of a facial soap called Teen Clean that contains tree tea oil. It can be ordered online. Of course if you have real sensitive skin it might be too harsh. ( I find it very gentle but I don't have red or burning skin, just the papules.)
I wish you well. I can understand that you want your life back to enjoy your family and I hope you find help soon.
LoisAnne
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Postby JP1 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:58 pm

Thanks for your comments. I used Doxy for one month but it seemed to make my face swell. So that was followed by three months of tetracycline. Neither seemed to help. What has bothered me the most since the IPL, ehich ended in early Jan, is my sun sensitivity. I look odd with such a red nose, very depressing. Even with SBF 50 and avoiding the sun it is still bright red now and quite sore. Anyone have any suggestions that might help? I expected a short term sun sensitivity, not long term. Does anyone know how long the sun sensitivity continues?
JP1
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby cinder » Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:59 pm

My understanding was that the sun sensitivity was an on-going factor after IPL. Because IPL makes your skin more sensitive to the sun. My tech reminded me too, that I had to give my sunscreen (Aveno 85 spf) 1/2 an hour after I applied it before going out into the sun, or it can't do its job.

I hope this all clears up for you soon. Perhaps a visit to the derm is a good idea. Take a written list of your questions, and write down the answers so you remember everything.

Cinder
cinder
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Postby JP1 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:28 pm

Thanks for the info. I am hugely depressed about the post IPL situation. I will be seeing my doctor again on Friday this week, and wil arrange to see a derm soon as well. SBF 85.... I had no idea the sensitivity could be this extreme. I am 38 and this feels like a life sentence now, having to be super careful about the sun. Even taking my kids to the park will require care and a hat even on a cloudy day. Deciding to have six sessions of IPL is turning into the worst decision of my life. I can now not work out what is purely rosacea and what is the aggravation caused by IPL. I went to IPL too quickly thinking it was a quick fix. How wrong can I be! My skin is super red today. I cannot believe this is happening, the excess heat in my head is too much. It was such a waste of money. Anyone else considering IPL for mild to moderate rosacea like mine? Forget it.
JP1
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby sandrad » Wed May 15, 2013 11:42 am

HI JP1
How are you doing now since it is almost 1 year later? Has you skin calmed down since the IPLs? I too have mild rosacea and am considering during IPL in the Fall. Don't want to do it now bc the Summer season is approaching but I wanted to see how you are faring now. Hope better.
sandrad
I'm new here
I'm new here

Return to Laser & IPL Therapy