My experience w/ Vein Gogh, IPL and YAG

This is a huge topic for rosacea sufferers. The choice of laser, IPL, and other light therapies is vast. The number of possible modalities and choice of machines is bewildering. Pick a sub-forum and see what you can learn.

My experience w/ Vein Gogh, IPL and YAG

Postby nymets87 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:36 pm

Hello all,

I am very new to the forum but thought I would submit my first post about my therapy treatments for rosacea/broken capillaries on the face. I am a 24 yr old male, of Italian/Russian descent so my skin is not too pale but not too tan.

I was first diagnosed with Rosacea back in November 2011. I had gone in to see the dermatologist because I had developed one large, purplish/blackish vein in the upper 1/3 of my nose, and wanted to see what the deal was. He told me that he noticed some redness in my cheeks and that the broken cap (which he called telangiectasia) may have been from the rosacea or just from working out too hard. Since that time, the telangiectasia got progressively worse especially on the nose, with large red spidery veins appearing sometimes over night. I have always had issues with the size of my nose, but now this was just adding insult to injury, so I did some research to see what could be done.

I went to a vein clinic in my area to get some Vein Gogh treatments on my nose. It cost me about $300. I was assured that down time would be minimal and no scarring would occur. It hurt quite a bit on the nose, especially the tip, and it basically got very red and scabbed over for about 2 weeks. After about 3-4 weeks, nothing had changed, and the large vein that I had in the beginning not only was not reduced, but the area was indented (and became a scar). I went in again, had a similar ordeal, got scarred even more, the capillaries remained unchanged and they ended up refunding my money.

Then about 2 months ago, I decided to bite the bullet and go into the laser treatment folks that my doctor recommended. Their reviews online were amazing, and apparently the founder of the laser clinic had been on Oprah, the Doctors, and other shows. I knew it would cost me, but being 24 and about to go off to business school, I felt it would be worth it. So I went in, met with one of the doctors (all three laser techs are dermatologists so I felt even better about that). They assured me that my redness and telangiectasia could be taken care of, and did a $500 IPL treatment. I was red for about 1 day but I saw no improvement of my redness, acne scars (which they said they could reduce the redness from and that the laser would increase collagen so I told them to go ahead) or telangiectasia.

A month later, I went in again and they decided to go with the Yag laser because "it goes a little deeper." I was told that I would not be very red but bruising was more likely. The doctor did the procedure, and focused HEAVILY on the broken caps by my nostrils. BIG MISTAKE. That area immediately turned dark red and black, blistered, and for the next 2 weeks was sore, red, oozing at night and finally scabbed over. Today, about 3 weeks after the treatment, I am horrified at what happened in that area. Besides the fact that I again see no improvement in the telangiectasia or redness, the nostril area especially on my left said has 3 major circular scars which basically resemble a crater you would see on the surface of the moon. They are still very dark and pigmented, but it is clear that there is a major depression in the skin and it looks horrendous.

So that's where I am at now. I actually used to not be such a terrible looking guy, and at 24, I have a lot of years left. Unfortunately, I am basically $1200 in the hole, and left with redder skin, more telangiectasia than ever, and some extra scarring. To add insult to injury, I have been on Finacea for 2 months and have more redness and acne than I have had since I was in college on Accutane in 2006. I will be going into the laser doctor again on Wednesday so she can see the monster she has created. If anyone cares, I can give an update.
nymets87
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: My experience w/ Vein Gogh, IPL and YAG

Postby cinder » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:20 pm

That sounds like a horrrible ordeal!

Yes, do update. I'm wondering what the dr. will have to say.

Cinder
cinder
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Postby fanny » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:15 pm

That sounds dreadful, I am glad you are going back in to see the laser doctor. Are you scheduled for a visit to your derm as well?
The fact that finacea is causing pimples seems wrong, this happened to me and so I stopped using it and that batch cleared up. I still get the pandps of rosacea but not as bad now. Currently I wash with water only, use metrolotion and cerave for moisturizing, and then zinc oxide based sunscreen.
Let us know what is happening with you please.
Best wishes
Fanny
fanny
Moderator Team

Postby Angy79 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:44 pm

Oh my, how terrible! I am so sorry this happened to you!
I actually had a similar experience with the YAG laser on my nostrils. I have broken capillaries there too and I had two treatments with the YAG laser to try and get rid of them. The first treatment did nothing so for the second round they upped the energy. It scarred me too! Luckily only on the left side of my nose, where I now have a (luckily relatively small) crater just like you described. And the broken capillaries are still there. I am never gonna have laser treatment again.
Before that I did have some positive results with electro-coagulation (where they use a heated needle) on an individual spider vein on my cheek and one below my nose. Maybe you could try that. It's not as expensive as laser but it does cause a scab to form so I think there is a risk of scarring with this treatment too.
Please update about the visit to the laser doctor.
34 year old female, diagnosed with rosacea nov 2007
Subtype 2 (p&p) with minor flushing (mostly stress/emotion related)
Subtype 4 (occular rosacea) / "meibomian gland dysfunction"
Angy79
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Return to Laser & IPL Therapy