Second IPL today.

This is a huge topic for rosacea sufferers. The choice of laser, IPL, and other light therapies is vast. The number of possible modalities and choice of machines is bewildering. Pick a sub-forum and see what you can learn.

Second IPL today.

Postby cinder » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:35 am

Not sure if anyone is interested, but I thought I'd write about my IPL experiences here.
First treatment, 3 weeks ago...the tech assured me the machine was on a low pulse, as they just wanted to see what my skin's reaction was the first time. That way they could better gauge what pulse to use in later sessions.
The tech had me lay on the table and put eye shields on. She then covered my face in ultrasound gel which she said acted as a conductor. It was really cold, as well.
She began on the lower part of my jaw where it isn't as delicate, just so I could see what the jolt was like. She counted down the first one so I could be ready for it. Really, it wasn't bad at all, although I did "jump" when she got to the more delicate areas. The worst placces were high on my cheeks and between my nose and mouth. THAT kind of stung! For the first session she just went over my face once, scraped off the gel and put an ice-cold cloth on my face for 10 minutes. She was going to put a moisturiser on, but I asked her not to because I would rather use my own that I know won't break me out.
The whole thing took about 20 minutes.
Results? I was told not to expect results after the first one so not to be dissapointed. Rosacea is one of the most difficult things to treat and often takes 3-5 sessions before you notice anything. I THINK I saw a lighter spot up high on my cheek, but I could be imagining things. Didn't make the redness any worse, at least.

Second treatment, tonight...same routine, but tech closely examined my skin and asked me a bunch of questions about whether there had been any signs of burning (No), or a lot of swelling the last time (No). She then told me she was going to increase the pulse and would test it on my jawline to be sure it wasn't too uncomfortable. It was definitely a stronger "snap" than the last time, but it was OK. She went over a number of places on my face 2 or 3 times, but left the apples of my cheeks alone, as she said that they had become red after the first pulse and it was better with Rosacea to go slowly and irritate the skin as little as possible, then to try to go over the reddening areas again. Again with the cold cloth.
I expected my face to be really red after what she had said, but it really wasn't that bad. I am to continue cold cloths throughout this evening to reduce any chance of swelling.She said I may see some difference this time, but not to be dissapointed if it wasn't anything major.I go back in 3 weeks.
I am SO hoping this works. I've prepaid for 6 treatments and Ii have to keep telling myself that it may not do too much, so not to get my hopes up.
So, that's been my experience so far!
Cinder

PS...she asked me if I had changed my skin care regimen because my skin was so much more pliable than the last time. I had changed to Aveeno Ultra Calming Cleanser and moisturiser, so that's a bit of a plug for that product.
cinder
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Re: Second IPL today.

Postby fanny » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:41 pm

Thank you for posting your ipl experiences. It is very helpful to all of us to know what to expect and also to get feedback on one protocol or another. It does seem as if your derm is taking it gently which is an excellent thing.
Hope this works for you
All the best
Fanny
fanny
Moderator Team

Postby cinder » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:10 pm

Thanks Fanny. I was hoping it would help anyone who was thinking about having it done but was a little unsure of the process. I always like to know exactly what's going to happen beforehand!

Cinder
cinder
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Postby cinder » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:35 pm

I'm still 10 days away from my third treatment, but (She said VERY quietly) I think it is helping.

I also got really aggresive with my P and P's with Doxy and Finacea and the Aveeno Ultrcalming, so that likely helps the feeling things are lightening up on my cheeks. It's hard to see past the red scars from the P and P's. Anyhow, bottom line I do see some areas of lightening, especially around my cheekbones and jaw, where the tech went over it 2 or 3 times. I think the main centre part is slightly lighter too...When I catch sight of myself in a mirror, my face isn't so "glowing".

Really hoping I'm not just kidding myself. Next treatment on the 29th!

Cinder
cinder
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Postby fanny » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:39 pm

I am so pleased for you. Once you know what works, then it works and you see improvement.
Yea for you!!!
Thanks for posting
Fanny
fanny
Moderator Team

Postby cinder » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:45 pm

So, third IPL last night. The tech told me she wasn't making the pulse any stronger...that she thought it would be too "intense". She told me that she'd rather have to do an extra session than take the risk of burning.
Last night wasn't nearly as uncomfortable as the time before. Maybe because I knew what it would be like by now. She went over a few spots 2 or 3 times, but not my cheeks as she said they became "blanched" and then red with the first pass.
To my understanding, when the pulse is applied, the skin "blanches" or goes pale and then what happens next tells the tech whether to do more passes. If it gets red, no more, if it goes back to regular colour, you can do more passes.
From everything I've read, after the third session, including the following 3 weeks, you should be able to tell whether it is really going to work for you or not.

My skin feels good today and I do think it is slightly less red than before I started.

Cinder
cinder
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Postby fanny » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:09 pm

This is great! Many thanks for your post it does help us all .
All the best
Fanny
fanny
Moderator Team

Postby cinder » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:59 pm

Today, I had a friend ask if I was wearing cover-up. When I told her "no" she told me that it was looking great for bare skin.

Makes me hopeful!

Cinder
cinder
Regular Helper
Regular Helper

Postby fanny » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:50 pm

That speaks for itself-yay and double yay for you!
fanny
Moderator Team

Postby CrabbyCathy » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:56 am

This was interesting to read for me! I am also getting IPL again. What I remember her saying last week was that my skin blanched when she did the filter for the upper layer of skin, and nothing much happened when she went deeper. Therefore, she will do more passes at the upper layer because it appears that is where my issue is.
Cathy (makeup)
See my blog for tips and helpful links!
Please note: Any advice offered here is not meant to replace medical advice. Always see your dermatologist.
CrabbyCathy
Moderator Team

Next

Return to Laser & IPL Therapy