Isolaz therapy has anyone tried it?

This is a huge topic for rosacea sufferers. The choice of laser, IPL, and other light therapies is vast. The number of possible modalities and choice of machines is bewildering. Pick a sub-forum and see what you can learn.

Isolaz therapy has anyone tried it?

Postby Anne Marie » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:04 pm

Hi was at a skin clinic at the weekend, and was given a leaflet on isolaz skin laser therapy which deals with facial redness, just wondered if anyone had tried it, and if so did they get it on NHS, (in uk), thanks (blush)
Anne Marie
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: Isolaz therapy has anyone tried it?

Postby NJRoadie » Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:51 pm

I have had five combination v-beam and IPL (Isolaz) treatments, starting in April of this year. In my experience, the IPL was good for improving/reducing pore size and evening out skin tone, but the v-beam was what helped the broken blood vessels.

Good luck!
NJRoadie
NJRoadie
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Aurelia » Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:29 am

Welcome, NJRoadie, (wave) and thanks for your helpful post.

Would you be kind enough to tell us a little more about your combination v-beam and IPL (Isolaz) treatments? Was five the recommended course, or where you chose to stop after seeing a certain level of improvement, or for financial reasons? Were you told how long this course of treatments could be expected to last before needing to be topped-up?

Kind regards,

Aurelia
Aurelia
Rosacea Veteran
Rosacea Veteran

Postby NJRoadie » Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:32 am

Hi Aurelia

A little bit about me - I'm 38, and prior to the birth of my daughter 11 years ago, I had gorgeous peaches and cream (with freckles!) skin. I always burned easily, so luckily never baked myself in the sun with baby oil like my friends did. I rarely had pimples, even in my teen years.

Then my daughter arrived, my hormones went ballistic and the red on the tip of my nose developed, then a raccoon like mask began to develop. At first, metrogel helped, but honestly I don't know how much it worked vs. ebb and flow of my hormones. I've also used oral antibiotics, to a point they also helped control breakouts. For me, breakout means cysts/lumps of pressure but no "whitehead". They last a LONG time (months) and typically leave behind a brand new set of broken blood vessels. (sarcastic Hooray)

My "beauty regimen" is pretty basic, I use Aveeno gentle face wash and Clinique moisturizer AM/PM. I have found Prosecea (over the counter) to be fairly useful, but really only on the smaller pimples. Oh, and I don't wear makeup (foundation etc.) - I'm a really basic kind of lady :) I use a non-comedigenic SPF 40 sunscreen on my face and make a real effort not to get any sunburn, and with the sunscreen I've been pretty successful. I take a multivitamin and a baby aspirin daily. That's it.

it seems unfair as the oft-cited "roseacea triggers" aren't even a part of my life! I don't drink alcohol or caffeine(I'm a milk/water drinker). Don't like spicy foods. In spite of all that, my face was reaching a point where it was just beet red ~all~the~time. I am in central NJ, and there were several doctors that I checked out. I won't name names, but a few seemed like fast talkers, others seemed clueless, and the price variation was breathtaking. I found I had a good rapor with the doctor I chose, and to be honest, she was the only one really willing to "deal" with my on price at all. Since I'm not particularly well off (those super high NJ property taxes), this mattered a lot to me! She was not the most experienced, she is an MD, and she works with an experienced doctor.

She suggested a combination of V-beam and IPL, because I had a fair number of "deeper" broken blood vessels, and she did not feel the IPL would reach them. She suggested 4-6 treatments, spaced out. I paid for the first two treatments, and was pleased enough to purchase a three visit package, combined V-beam/Isolaze treaments. We started with 4 week intervals, which I think was pretty conservative. I believe she was concerned and very light handed in the first treatment, I respected that, rather go too light than too hard. I had very little side effects, although for the first hour afterwards my face was very red,splotchy and HOT. I found turning the a/c in my car on high and pointing the vents at my face really helped. I did have one session where I was a bit bruised across the forehead (that was the IPL, suction too strong for my skin, we discovered). It was gone within 2 days, and makeup covered it (I actually wore makeup!).

Am I thrilled and amazed by the results? No. Am I pleased? Yes. My husband is much more objective than I am able to be, and he was able to see an improvement in my overall redness and skin tone by two weeks after the first visit, and says it has continued to improve. It isn't a miracle "the roseace goes away" cure, I have a big red pimple on my nose right now, sadly, but the rest of my face looks very good.

I am really using my own judgment as to when I need to go back again. I was there on Tuesday, and in my mind that is my last one for a "a while". Not only have I used up the alloted number on the package I bought back in June, but I think I've maxed out the results for now. I do have pictures, and once I get them organized and figure out how to isolate them away from all my family photos I can post a link. Can't honestly promise that will be anytime quickly though :)

Any questions I missed? Let me know!
NJRoadie
NJRoadie
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Aurelia » Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:16 am

Hi NJRoadie,

Wow! What a fantastic reply, and so full of helpful details. If you have read my thread 'Help with choosing treatments - not only for newbies :)', you will know that I was keen on getting more background info to help people figure out how and why particular treatments help some rosaceans but not others. However, most members either don't fancy joining that thread or else prefer not to go into details, which is fair enough.

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=669

It can be awkward asking for details anyway, in case someone takes against it, so the generosity of your reply quite bowled me over. Thanks! (clapping)

From the name "NJRoadie", I had visions of a muscular male, red-faced from lugging band equipment on and off stage, so was surprised to learn that you are a lady and a mother. Congratulations! I hope your daughter brings you immense joy and always will. Here's hoping that the many rosacea mysteries will all have been solved long before you find out whether or not she has inherited any tendency that way. At least you can give her excellent guidance.

It sounds as if you have really protected your skin, plus done your homework to find the laser treatment provider best able to meet your specific requirements. That can be really tough, so well done for persevering, and on having struck gold.

NJRoadie wrote:I did have one session where I was a bit bruised across the forehead (that was the IPL, suction too strong for my skin, we discovered). It was gone within 2 days, and makeup covered it (I actually wore makeup!).

Suction? (I've not had IPL.)

NJRoadie wrote:I do have pictures, and once I get them organized and figure out how to isolate them away from all my family photos I can post a link. Can't honestly promise that will be anytime quickly though :)

That would be great, thanks. One of the technically-savvy mods might be able to offer advice on that.

NJRoadie wrote:Any questions I missed? Let me know!

Thanks, but you did great. (yes)

Kind regards,

Aurelia
Aurelia
Rosacea Veteran
Rosacea Veteran

Postby NJRoadie » Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:25 am

From the name "NJRoadie", I had visions of a muscular male, red-faced from lugging band equipment on and off stage, so was surprised to learn that you are a lady and a mother.

How funny! Actually, the origin of the name does lie with my husband, but it references bicycle racing rather than rock concerts. Although of course, being from NJ, I do have a thing for Bon Jovi :)

Congratulations! I hope your daughter brings you immense joy and always will. Here's hoping that the many rosacea mysteries will all have been solved long before you find out whether or not she has inherited any tendency that way. At least you can give her excellent guidance.

Thanks, she is 11.5 now, so the joy is a bit dimmed at the moment LOL. She has gorgeous skin, but since my mother-in-law, husband and I all have rosacea, she is very likely to run into this down the road. We'll do our best to help her out.

Suction? (I've not had IPL.)

IPL works a little bit like a vacuum cleaner. It sucks up a bit of your skin and then zaps it with light. It does not hurt at all (unlike V-beam). The suction has different settings, apparently, and she must have tried a higher setting for some reason, thus the bruising. Like I said, it was relatively minor, and went away quickly.

I thought I should mention cost, as that was something I looked for here when I was researching at the beginning of the year.
One session (combined v-beam/IPL) cost was $475 - that included tax (if there was tax)
Three session package (combined v-beam/IPL) cost was $1,288, or $430 per session.

Not cheap by any means, but for me it was necessary and worth it.

NJRoadie
NJRoadie
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby CrabbyCathy » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:48 am

(wave) I'm just going to throw in quickly that for many, myself included, dairy is actually a trigger for the rosacea. I can sometimes sneak in a bit after periods of abstinence, but usually it makes my face go ballistic--particularly cheese.
Cathy (makeup)
See my blog for tips and helpful links!
Please note: Any advice offered here is not meant to replace medical advice. Always see your dermatologist.
CrabbyCathy
Moderator Team

Postby Lisamouries » Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:45 am

No cheeeeeeese. That would certainly be the end of me... Hm, I suppose goats cheese is OK, no?
Lisa M.
Lisamouries
Moderator Team

Postby CrabbyCathy » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:38 am

Goat cheese is definitely okay, although for some reason, I can't make myself drink goat's milk? Go figure.
Cathy (makeup)
See my blog for tips and helpful links!
Please note: Any advice offered here is not meant to replace medical advice. Always see your dermatologist.
CrabbyCathy
Moderator Team

Postby Shamray » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:51 pm

I'm tired of big pores on cheeks! no creams help and derma procedures! also i have stinted myself in certain kind of food,but it is useless. I have mentioned that you have tried isolaz to diminish pore size? what was the effect?
Shamray
I'm new here
I'm new here

Next

Return to Laser & IPL Therapy