lymecycline

`Systemic' is just a fancy name for tablets that you take that can affect your whole `system'. Stop in here to talk about antibiotics, accutane and other sorts of oral therapies.

lymecycline

Postby CaroleJean » Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:24 pm

Hi,
I recently saw my GP and he's put me on lymecycline for my skin (think it's one of the tetracyclines)...I have to take one tablet a day at around 300-400mg. Has anyone got any experience with lymecycline? I haven't heard of it being used for rosacea, and was a bit concerned that it wouldn't have the same anti-inflammatory effects as some of the other drugs, esp at such a high dosage....Any thoughts greatly appreciated! I don't think he'll be willing to change the prescription or refer me to a dermatologist till I've given it a good try unfortunately...
Thanks!
CaroleJean
Apprentice Member
Apprentice Member

Re: lymecycline

Postby David Pascoe » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:37 pm

As lymecycline is a tetracycline you will likely see the same benefit as other tetracyclines - of course if you are allergic to it, or suffer other side effects then you won't get any worthwhile benefit at all. The tetracycline family do have differing doses and side effects et. al., so you should keep an eye out for good and bad results. I would also expect that you should also do well on lower doses of lymecycline once your symptoms subside. Hopefully your doctor will be able to work with you on this if you want to try it later. The publications aroundlow dose doxycycline and solodyn might help you get your doctor on side.

do let us know you get on.

davidp.
Get Rosacea News here: https://rosacea-support.org
David Pascoe
Moderator Team

Postby Aurelia » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:44 pm

Hi CaroleJean,

CaroleJean wrote:Has anyone got any experience with lymecycline? I haven't heard of it being used for rosacea, and was a bit concerned that it wouldn't have the same anti-inflammatory effects as some of the other drugs, esp at such a high dosage....Any thoughts greatly appreciated!

You're right that few rosaceans have posted about Lymecycline. I ran a quick check through the excellent search facility for RSG archived posts and found that several members reported seeing improvement, but still having outbreaks of pimples.

Jennie wrote: "ive been on lymecycline almost continually for 20 months and as soon as i finish a course it comes back within days".

Most posts came from Hazel, in 2000. She was worried that her derm had put her on "massive doses of Lymecycline - 4 X 480mg daily". She came off it because of systemic side effects, then found that Noritate worked better for her anyway. "I have seb derm as well as rosacea. When I get a breakout, the Noritate seems to help with the papules as well as the redness." However, Lymecycline did stop her rosacea-linked conjunctivitis.

If you want to read any of those posts, please click here:

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/ro ... ndows-1252

Kind regards,

Aurelia
Aurelia
Rosacea Veteran
Rosacea Veteran

Postby CaroleJean » Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:02 pm

Thanks guys, will keep an eye on how things go...have only been on 1 x 408mg of it for about a month so I probably need to give it a bit longer. So far I haven't noticed any side effects except a bit of an irritated tummy at times...no improvement on my face yet....it's not likely to make things worse though ay? My main problem is the visible blood vessels (which seem to be getting worse quite quickly :-( ), getting flushed, feeling hot in the face and head a lot of the time - any idea if that could be caused by hormones? (I'm only 30....), some pimples around the redness, and burning/stinging esp after certain products/exercise/being outdoors. I guess laser/IPL is the only real way to deal with the blood vessels but I'd worry at the moment about getting that done when the condition isn't really under control cos they would surely just immediately come back? This rosacea thing is really getting me down :-( , am going to talk to my GP about that too cos at times I feel so depressed I just don't want to get out of bed. Am v grateful for this forum and all the lovely people on it though, thanks again :)
CaroleJean
Apprentice Member
Apprentice Member

Postby Blue Eyes » Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:08 pm

Hi Again Carole,
I'm sending you a big ((((((((((((((((((((hug))))))))))))))))) cos you are sounding so fed up, please do go and see your Doctor he may be able to get you some counselling/medication to help you carry on, are you using any topical creams?? While you're at the Docs ask to have your hormone/thyroid levels checked as well, I had an early menopause and found I heated up like a radiator, on HRT now and it has helped like you wouldn't believe, it's so difficult when it's your face isn't it hun, if it's your body you can cover up, but you'll look a right numpty wearing a balaclava (bandit) in Summer (even in Glasgow).

I'm on the same stuff as you and I believe 408mg equates to 300mg Tetracylin, from what I've read on here it can take a while for them to take effect, hopefully you'll see some results soon.
Some people take anti-histamines as well, they have an anti inflammatory effect and again you have to take them for a while, the own brand (asda etc) are as good as the more expensive ones.. David also suggested asking about the Red Cross makeup to cover blemishes, even if only for special occassions, I'm also trialing Mineral make up, maybe you could read more about it on here??

On the subject of dieting I've altered mine a lot, I've cut out all the sugary stuff, only eat wholegrain cereal, and I eat lots of salad and vegetables with lean protein, I don't have to take medication for acid indigestion anymore and I'm losing weight (yahoo)
please feel free to pm me even if it's only to have a whinge, we all need to let off steam now and then (stops your head exploding) (vangry)
Blue Eyes
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby GaryJ » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:18 am

Hi Everyone
First of all what a great forum i,ve just registered and this is my first post.I was diagnosed with rosacea about 3 months ago after having bad flushing and redness for about the last year.My skin tends to get very red almost like sunburn and becomes hot and sensitive although i don,t get any papules or spots (yet). My doctor has prescribed me lymecycline(408g) and propanalol(150g) i take one of each a day and have been doing so for 5 weeks.I have noticed some improvement but i still get flushes but not as often and they dont seem as severe,one thing i have noticed is that the Propanalol makes me feel tired which is not ideal and i would like to come of it if i could but am scared to incase the flushing returns.This really is a horrible condition and has effected my self confidence quite badly and at the moment i think constantly about how much worse my face will get as the condition progresses.Due to see my doctor again in 3 weeks when the lymecycline finishes so will be interesting so see what he says.
GaryJ
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Artist » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:06 pm

Hi Gary: Welcome! I'm glad you are finding some relief, but hopefully you can learn some things here that will help in addition. Two things occur to me after reading your post. #1: If the propanolol makes you tired, you might want to ask your doctor if you can try Atenolol. It prevents blushes, too, but may not make you as tired. Either that, or your doctor might consider a lower dose of the Propanolol. I have taken 12.5mg of Atenolol for many years and it works really well to stop my social blushing. #2) If it were me, I'd be very careful about stopping an antibiotic suddenly. If the plan is to stop the antibiotic, you might want to ask your doctor if weaning off very, very slowly would be ok and asking him how you might do that. Stopping suddenly can often result in a rebound flare, up to six months later! It doesn't happen right away, so I think the connection is often missed...

I hope that helps! Let us know how you do.

Artist
Not intended as medical advice.
Artist
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Postby gerlinky » Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:09 pm

Hi,

I'm 37 and after nine years of problem skin - angry red areas around chin and nose with small raised bumps/pustules - and after trying topical lotions, contraceptives, and the like, I was finally referred to a dermatologist in January 08. She prescribed Lymecycline and Metranidazole cream/gel and said I could be on them for a few months, maybe years. I had a great response within a few months and with no side effects. My 'angry' skin cleared up completely, I still have a very slightly red t-zone but otherwise great complexion. My skin has always been sensitive and I am a pale redhead. I avoid overexposure in the sun - always have.

My doctor has renewed the prescription without seeing me (I've never even met my actual doctor - just a long line of locums) so I have continued to take the medicine. I'm reluctant to give them up in case it returns but am aware that long term use might not be the most sensible thing. Should I continue or consider stopping them at least for a period of time?

I am away for four weeks soon and my Lymecycline prescription will run out while I'm away. I wondered whether to stop then and see what happens while continuing to apply the Metronidazole. Is this wise? Could stopping suddenly undo all the hard work? How else should I approach it? If I am still applying the cream (I've been a little remiss using this admittedly, mostly because I was prescribed the gel last time and it is horrible - I've just got another cream so will use it properly again.)

Welcome any thoughts, advice and/or personal experiences.
Thanks in advance.
gerlinky
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby SouthernMoss » Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:56 am

I wouldn't stop any medications without talking to the doctor. You've worked too hard to get where you are today.
SouthernMoss
Moderator Team

Return to Systemic Rosacea Treatments