Solodyn

`Systemic' is just a fancy name for tablets that you take that can affect your whole `system'. Stop in here to talk about antibiotics, accutane and other sorts of oral therapies.

Solodyn

Postby Erik » Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:39 am

Im currently taking Solodyn 90mg once a day with food. I never new about this med, at first I was getting headaches and dizziness but not anymore. I- have to say Im seeing a lot of improvement, I use Metrogel as well. Its been only a couple of days. I would like to know about other people that use this pill :geek:
DERMAdoctor Ain't Misbehaving Cleanser
Clinique Mild Liquid Cleanser
Clinique Oil Control Hydrator
Clinique Almost Powder Makeup SPF 15
DERMAdoctor Sulfur Mask
Digestive Enzymes
Sarsaparilla
Burdock
Vitamin D3
Zinc
Erik
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: Solodyn

Postby melissaw » Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:53 pm

Hi Erik,

I was taking Solodyn for about 14 months and it worked well for me in terms of p&p's.
Make sure not to take it within 2 hours of any calcium as that makes it less effective. Also, do not recline or lay down after taking it as it can cause esophageal irritation if you do.

I only discontinued it because I wanted to give my body a break from it. I might be resuming it soon. I was taking the 45 mg version every morning.
You can take it on an empty or full stomach which was another plus with this drug. Oracea must be taken on an empty stomach.

Best wishes,
Melissa
melissaw
Star Member
Star Member

Postby Erik » Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:51 pm

melissawohl wrote:Hi Erik,

I was taking Solodyn for about 14 months and it worked well for me in terms of p&p's.
Make sure not to take it within 2 hours of any calcium as that makes it less effective. Also, do not recline or lay down after taking it as it can cause esophageal irritation if you do.

I only discontinued it because I wanted to give my body a break from it. I might be resuming it soon. I was taking the 45 mg version every morning.
You can take it on an empty or full stomach which was another plus with this drug. Oracea must be taken on an empty stomach.

Best wishes,
Melissa

(wave) Thank you for the information Melissa. It's my first time taking this med and at 1st I thought it was just the same Minocycline I new before but it's different. My derm wanted me to start with 90mg daily and told that when you get better you can lower the dose to 45mg. He even gave free trials from the 45mg so that if I run out from the 90mg I can take 2 from the 45mg. Should it be at the same time? I take it with food and I noticed that some juices say they have 2% iron, for example, will that affect the absorbtion or does it have to be a lot of iron, calcium or whatever? What about zinc, echinacia and omega 3, I take those in the morning and mid-day and the Solodyn at night so its been many hours after. My derm said that my skin gets more sensitive with this med to the sun that u may get from the beach but not for the sunlight u might get from going around the street or whatever, is that right? I was using a sunscreen, it seem ok but I dont know why it makes me look too pinkish :oops: , it looks like makeup. I dont like know and I paid $35 for it (tears) It seem better in the trial pack. I would love to get more info about it. (kisser)
DERMAdoctor Sulfur Mask
Digestive Enzymes
Sarsaparilla
Burdock
Vitamin D3
Zinc
Erik
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby melissaw » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:00 am

Hi Erik,

Do not take iron supplements, multivitamins, calcium supplements, antacids, or laxatives within 2 hours before or after taking Solodyn. These products can make Solodyn less effective.

I would recommend taking it first thing in the AM because you don't want to take it too close to bedtime or meals that may contain any of the above.
Take each dose with a full glass (8 ounces) of water.
Solodyn comes in 3 strengths. It is usually prescribed in the strength that is best for your body weight. Take the tablet at the same time each day, with or without food.

From the website here is a list of other meds that may interfere with Solodyn:

cholesterol-lowering medications such as cholestyramine (Prevalite, Questran) or colestipol (Colestid);

isotretinoin (Accutane);

tretinoin (Renova, Retin-A, Vesanoid);

an antacid such as Tums, Rolaids, Milk of Magnesia, Maalox, and others;

a product that contains bismuth subsalicylate such as Pepto-Bismol;

minerals such as iron, zinc, calcium, magnesium, and over-the-counter vitamin and mineral supplements;

a blood thinner such as warfarin (Coumadin); or

a penicillin antibiotic such as amoxicillin (Amoxil, Trimox, others), penicillin (BeePen-VK, Pen-Vee K, Veetids, others), dicloxacillin (Dynapen), carbenicillin (Geocillin), oxacillin (Bactocill), and others.

Definitely wear a sunblock when you are on this drug as it may make you more susceptible to sunburns.

There may be a rebate you can get with this now. I also paid $35 a month for it but on the website they mention a rebate. Here is the link.

http://www.solodyn.com/eligibility.aspx

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,
Melissa
melissaw
Star Member
Star Member

Postby Erik » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:15 pm

(bow) Thanks a lot Melissa!!! I checked out the website and sent the rebate form (mail) because my Derm didn't have the instant rebate card. I paid 20$ for 15 pills (sun) (emo) About the sun protection I would like to know if there is a good sunblock you may recommend for oily sensitive skin, I tried one with zinc oxide and titanium but it has the chemical sunscreens as well and I feel a little burning not much and even if my nose is not flaky before it makes it flaky. I use Cetaphil lotion before which seems ok on my face (I prefer not to use any but I cant let my skin bare, it can be (HeadBang)) At first I thought that the flaking was good, that it was "healing" the skin, but afterwards I realized it wasn't. I can only use if I dont have a flare which i stupid bc it should be a product designed to protect my skin and it was very expensive (swear) So, I would like to try the Cetaphil sunblock with PARSOL, btw what do u know about that ingredient on rosacea skin? (SPAM) I dont know why I put this smilie LOL I guess I've always wanted to do that LOL. Anyways, I read somewhere that this meds (antibiotics) that its better to take them at night cuz it lessens the sun sensitivity by the other day, what do u think? What I do is that I take after lunch my omega and zinc, if i have the flu I add Echinacea and then at night after dinner (pizza) I take the Solodyn 90mg. Is it ok? before bedtime I take this juice from SAMS CLUB i checked for interactions and it has none, supposedly, with my meds or triggers rosacea. http://www.drinkables.com its the antioxidants juice. Well take care Melissa, see u around :cb:
DERMAdoctor Sulfur Mask
Digestive Enzymes
Sarsaparilla
Burdock
Vitamin D3
Zinc
Erik
I'm new here