Switch to full style
`Systemic' is just a fancy name for tablets that you take that can affect your whole `system'. Stop in here to talk about antibiotics, accutane and other sorts of oral therapies.
Post a reply

Clarithromycin antibiotics - no longer working?

Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:17 pm

Hi, I'm quite new on here and have found this forum to be extremely supportive. I have P & P rosacea which had, until a couple of weeks ago, been kept successfully at bay (apart from the odd few spots) with a twice daily dose of 250mg Clarithromycin. I took 250mg daily from mid March until July, when my derm raised the dosage as the rosacea was creeping back. Unfortunately, it has started to creep back again in the last fortnight along my temples, hairline, nape of neck, between my eyebrows and around my nose! I managed to get my review appointment with the derm brought forward to November but, in the meantime, have visited my GP (this evening) and he has raised the dosage again to 1000mg per day. He told me that there is nothing else he can do for me as I cannot take tetracyclines (I react to them). I also use Finacea which helps a little bit and use tea tree soap to wash my face in the evening (I use tea tree wipes in the morning and eye scrubs twice daily). My occular rosacea has improved dramatically since I cut back on my antidepressant medication and sleeping tablets (the antidepressants caused sleep disturbances). I do have mild MGD.

My question is: how many times will my dosage have to be raised before I have to 'call it quits'. The tablets are obviously losing their effectiveness and raising the dosage in July only worked for a matter of weeks. I am concerned about what such a high dosage will do to my digestive system (I have been ok so far). Are there any other people out there who are taking Clarithromycin and have experienced this problem? Any advice would be much appreciated :)

Thanks
Barbara

Re: Clarithromycin antibiotics - no longer working?

Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:29 pm

Hi
I looked up clarithromycin and saw that 500mg twice per day is the maximum dosage. So that would seem to be the limit. Have you tried metro gel or sulfur based topicals?
take care
Fanny

Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:35 am

I have the P&P type of rosacea too and I took antibiotics, which helped a lot but I have not taken them for years. I also use both Metrogel (generic) and Finacea daily, one in the am and one at night. My rosacea is now very well controlled as long as I don't eat too much chocolate. What I wanted to talk about is your use of tree tea oil soap. I have written several times about how I think the use of a tree tea oil soap made the most difference in my complexion but I just happened upon the soap that I use, having been given a sample at a craft fair I attended in TN. It is called "teen clean" and is sold on line at www.MistyMountainSoap.com. It does contain tree tea oil but also other ingredients that are helpful to clearing up complexion. I wash my face in the morning with it, apply the metro gel and then a moisturizer. At night I cleanse with Cetaphil cleanser and then use Finacea. This routine has made a lot of difference in my skin. In fact, I recently had a routine visit with my dermatologist and he checked for moles and gave me some medication for some eczema that I have on my scalp but neither of us even mentioned the rosacea! I only thought about it later. Now, it is not entirely gone, now and then a red bump will appear, but it is certainly nothing like it was a few years ago. I don't know for sure what of my treatments is the most important and so, for now anyway, I will continue to use all three things. If you are using tree tea oil soap anyway, I do recommend you try the "Teen Clean".

LoisAnne

Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:42 am

Is there a reason why the derm chose clarithromycin? There are other antibiotics you could try so it may be worth asking for a change. It's a lot to take if it's not working! Good luck.

Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:34 pm

Hi, thanks Fanny, LoisAnne and Binky for your replies - Thanks Fanny, for looking up the maximum dosage - I had my suspicions that the dosage couldn't keep being raised! I tried upping the dosage of Clarithromycin to 750 mg per day and felt rotten the next day as well as getting slight eye irritation which I hadn't had for weeks. I tried Metrogel after I was first diagnosed but it didn't work for me. I haven't tried sulfur based preparations though so I will look into what is available. I phoned the dermatologist's office and left a message saying that taking a higher dosage was making me feel unwell and that I had decided to stick with 500 mg per day. I have recently started HRT again (that appeared to help briefly but I ended up stopping after 6 weeks because there was a build up, causing painful side effects - now on much lower dosage). So I will see how that goes.

LoisAnne: I looked for an e-mail address for the Misty Mountain Soap Company but they don't appear to have one - it said on the site that I could check for shipping costs and whether they shipped to the UK by registering with them. I tried last night but I couldn't get the UK up on the shipping list so I am assuming that they don't ship to the UK (it stated on the site that if your required country didn't appear on the shipping list then unfortunately, they do not ship there). :( There is a phone number so I might try once more. Thank you, though, for recommending the soap to me - it does sound really good and I will have to do my research and see if there may be anything equivalent in the uk.

Binky: unfortunately, I am allergic to the tetracycline group of antibiotics (I developed a rash all over my face and chest when I was prescribed two different tetracyclines, Lymecycline and Minocycline in February and March this year). This was frustrating because tetracyclines appear to be the first choice of antibiotics when treating rosacea (especially Oracea which is a very low dose antibiotic). I am also allergic to Penicillin (trust me to be awkward!). Both my GP and the dermatologist prescribed Clarithromycin. Apparently, Erythromycin, another similar antibiotic, has stronger side effects. No other antibiotics have been offered to me.

My skin has calmed down slightly (could be the HRT, maybe). Trying to be careful with diet - not too much chocolate which I am sure is one of my triggers along with stress and lack of sleep. I will wait for the dermatologist's appointment which is on 14th November and see whether he knows of any other antibiotics I can take).

Thanks again :)

Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:11 am

I am sorry that you could not find a way to reach Misty Mountain Soap. I can call them and ask if they ship to the UK and if so, what the cost would be. That will save you a long distance phone call anyway. Will post again when I get information.

Sorry you are allergic to so many antibiotics! I am allergic to penicillin and get a rash if I use it or a few other antibiotics but I can use minocycline and doxy. Hopefully there are some new ones out there for you to try.

There are several sulfa medications. The first cream my dermatologist prescribed for me was a sulfa based one. I cannot recall the name but it did take a prescription. I don't think it helped me much but it does work with some people. I like finacea and metro gel but then they don't work for others…..weird.

LoisAnne

Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:33 pm

Hi LoisAnne,

Thanks for your reply and your kind offer. I have decided to give taking the higher dosage of antibiotics another go simply because the horrid red bumps that are left are in no hurry to budge! The trouble is, I now feel like rubbish and my eyes are irritated again (so I know that it is definitely high doses of medication which cause that problem). I have ordered a sulfur based cream called Prosacea from Amazon today as everything else I have tried has not worked. I will give an update about the cream when I have used it for a short time.

Thanks again
Barbara

Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:13 pm

I called the Misty Mountain place this morning and they do not ship to the UK. Sorry. I will tell you that stubborn red bumps are the norm. They are not like regular "zits" we got teenagers, they just hang around for a week to 10 days! Most annoying. Good luck with the new plan. Keep us posted.

LoisAnne

Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:56 pm

Hi LoisAnne

Thank you so much for ringing Misty Mountain for me - that was really kind of you. I will have to be patient in finding something that works for me (and also be patient in waiting for the red bumps to go away!). My sulfur based cream should be here by Friday so I will give that a whirl! :)

I will let you know what happens.

Thanks again
Barbara

Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:47 pm

Hi, just an update - I used the Prosacea cream but didn't notice any difference (I also tried Ocean Potion Face Potion and African black soap - nothing worked!) HRT has also made no difference. I have a papule by my nose which has been there for over a month and it simply refuses to budge! I gave up (again) on taking the high dosage of antibiotics (currently still on lower dosage). After reading other posts on here about how some people had success in improving their rosacea by eliminating certain foods from their diets, I decided to have a food intolerance test done (I have had IBS on and off for years). I got my results yesterday and found out that I am intolerant to yeast, dairy ,eggs, buckwheat, Brazil nuts, lentils and two types of wine! This was a shock as I spent months cutting out gluten when that wasn't the problem at all! I still lost weight though, because I cut out cakes and biscuits and ate less (gluten free) bread. However, I now have a dilemma - cutting these foods out of my diet is daunting enough (I get an appointment with a nutritionist as part of the test package so that will help) but what do I do about the antibiotics as, surely, they must be making the yeast intolerance even worse?

I have my next appointment with the dermatologist this Friday but, when I mentioned previously that I was concerned about the effects of the antibiotics on the good bacteria in my gut, he said that the good bacteria eventually become resistant and don't get killed off! I will start eliminating the problem foods from my diet and give an update after a few weeks.

Best wishes to you all
Barbara :)
Post a reply