weaning off

`Systemic' is just a fancy name for tablets that you take that can affect your whole `system'. Stop in here to talk about antibiotics, accutane and other sorts of oral therapies.

weaning off

Postby binky » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:08 pm

Having been on Lymecycline now for 9 weeks, my bumps and pustules are long gone, and the redness is 80% better. I have been prescribed them for 12 weeks. I have an upset stomach occasionally now, and my GP is not concerned. I trust him, and am ok to keep taking them but what I want to know is - can I take one every other day after all this time? Anyone else had experience of weaning off the antibiotics?
binky
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: weaning off

Postby fanny » Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:38 pm

Certainly you can wean off them, ask your doctor about the best way to do that. Have you considered a low dose e.g. oracea?
Best wishes
Fanny
fanny
Moderator Team

Postby binky » Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:16 pm

Hi Fanny

I go back to see the dermo in 3 weeks and will ask her about Oracea. Is it better longer term than Lymecycline? I know it's a lower dose although a slightly different drug. I suspect the paps etc will start up again when I finish the course I am on and so anything a bit kinder on my system would be preferable so that I can keep it at bay. I know my flare up 6 months ago was stress related, and I didn't find Rozex cream helped at all - made the itching and burning worse - so that's not going to work as maintenance treatment. The stress is still there so tackling that is an ongoing battle!
binky
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby David Pascoe » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:04 am

I weaned myself of doxycycline by going down to 50mg a day and then 50mg every other day and then a few months later to none. It is not the same as lymecycline fo course but I was able to wean myself, so it is possible. I was working my way into a gentle skincare regime with a sunscreen. that really helped too, this helped keep my skin calm while I weaned.

all the best,
dp.
Get Rosacea News here: https://rosacea-support.org
David Pascoe
Moderator Team

Return to Systemic Rosacea Treatments