Oracea and Minocyclin

`Systemic' is just a fancy name for tablets that you take that can affect your whole `system'. Stop in here to talk about antibiotics, accutane and other sorts of oral therapies.

Oracea and Minocyclin

Postby sirredface » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:26 am

Hello, I've been taking Minocyclin for a few months now and it was amazing for getting rid of my acne, I was very thankful. However I was recently diagnosed with Rosacea (just the permanent redness and flushing type) and my Doc gave me Oracea and Mirvaso. The Mirvaso seems to work as it's only been a few days and lasts well over 16 hours for me. I also don't seem to get the rebound flushing that is plaguing many people. However my Doc says I can't take Oracea with Minocyclin, and in the last 3 days I've been taking Oracea and stopped Mino I've gotten a few pimples here and there. I was just wondering if anyone is in a similar situation as me and wondering why I can't take Mino with Oracea? He says the Oracea should help with the redness but I'd rather not start breaking out all the time again. :(
sirredface
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: Oracea and Minocyclin

Postby fanny » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:54 pm

Hi
I'm not a doctor, but I would think the reason you cannot take mino with oracea is they are both antibiotics. Oracea is a low dose antibiotic and perhaps, whilst your system is adjusting to the lower dose, you will have a few break outs, it might be a case of patience. However if it continues you need to talk to your doctor.
All the best
Fanny
fanny
Moderator Team

Re: Oracea and Minocyclin

Postby LoisAnne » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:47 pm

Fanny is right that both Oracea and Minocycline are antibiotics. Oracea is a low dose of doxyclycline. When I was initially dx with rosacea, I took doxycycline and I did not find that it helped me very much. I was then changed to minocycline and it was very helpful is clearing up my face of papules. (i did not have redness). I would give the Oracea more time as it is a lower dose and may take longer, but if it just does not help you, then perhaps your doctor would put you back on a low dose of Minocycline.
Good luck!
LoisAnne
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Return to Systemic Rosacea Treatments