My experience with SIBO and Rosacea

`Systemic' is just a fancy name for tablets that you take that can affect your whole `system'. Stop in here to talk about antibiotics, accutane and other sorts of oral therapies.

My experience with SIBO and Rosacea

Postby ScarletDaria » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:43 pm

I have decided to document my attempts here to control rosacea by correcting gut issues. For years now I have had symptoms of IBS – bloating, gas, and chronic constipation. For a long time, I had no idea that there was a connection between the skin and the gut. For more about this, I recommend reading Chris Kresser’s work, particularly this podcast (http://chriskresser.com/naturally-get-r ... g-your-gut).

Chris claims that all patients he has treated that have skin issues also have gut issues.

Initially I tried to fix my gut issues with diet. After cutting out wheat and realizing it made a huge difference in the way I feel, I went on the full blown Paleo diet in May 2011. I don’t eat any grains at all, no milk, and no sugar. I am currently not eating much starch either, so no potatoes. The idea behind any of these similar diets (paleo, SCD or GAPS) is that you remove the food source of the harmful bacteria types in your gut to starve them out of existence, and they apparently thrive on disaccharides. Many people are successful with this.

However, I was finding that diet alone was not improving my skin or my gut. Any time I attempted to take probiotics or eat fermented foods my skin would break out within a day or two. I began to suspect something was really wrong.
I finally went to see a Gastroenterologist in August 2012 and got tested for Fructose malabsorption and SIBO (small intestinal bacterial overgrowth.) I can handle fructose just fine, but the SIBO was undeniably positive.

The doctor put me on Rifaximin 3x a day for 2 weeks. This is a strong antibiotic that is supposed to remain locally in the gut. I began to feel better, the bloating disappeared and my stomach was never flatter. My skin began to clear up, I didn’t get any further pimples during this time and redness subsided. I could only see acne scars from previous pimples.

Unfortunately after finishing the antibiotic, I caught a terrible cold that took me 2 weeks to clear. Prior to this I haven’t had a cold in a long time so I’m afraid the antibiotic also wiped out some beneficial bacteria that keeps the immune system strong.
Once the cold was over, I noticed my gastro issues returning. The bloating came back and the constipation never actually went away. My skin started breaking out again!

I returned to the doctor yesterday, and he suspects the SIBO is not yet gone. I am doing another round of Rifaximin. For constipation, I am going to start taking Magnesium Glycinate ( the type Chris Kresser recommends because it is absorbed well). I’ll start with 600mg a day and see if that makes a difference. I think increasing my intestinal motility makes sense.

Will update this post in couple weeks with the latest.
ScarletDaria
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: My experience with SIBO and Rosacea

Postby ScarletDaria » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:07 pm

Took the last Rifaximin pill today so it ends my two week cycle of antibiotics. About a week in I noticed the bloating improved again. My skin also improved somewhat, my rosacea is not completely gone, but I got very few new bumps during this time.

I will continute to monitor my IBS symptoms to see if they return again.

I have also read that lactate-free antibiotics can be better for people with SIBO, so I bought JARROW, Ideal Bowel Support 299v and will start taking those to see what happens with my skin.

Hopefully this information is useful to somebody.
ScarletDaria
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby fanny » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:49 pm

Thank you for posting, I am so glad that things are working out for you. Knowledge is power.
Best wishes
Fanny
fanny
Moderator Team

Postby Nat007 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:16 pm

Thanks indeed, very interesting. I also have bowel issues; IBS and colitis and I also never have a flat tummy, it's always bloated to some or more degrees.
I eliminated wheat and dairy and sugar for years and years and it didn't improve my vascular rosacea (no pimples or outbreaks, just redness, flushing and burning).
It did little for my bloated tummy either. Probiotics make me more red every time I use them. I have also a strong suspicion that the rosacea and bowel issues are linked, but according to my gastro doc operations show only mild local inflammation in my bowel. He doesn't even think I need medication for it. So I have no idea what to do and how to improve matters.. Will read more about it and try to find out more, but thanks for posting here about your experiences, I wonder now if that antibiotic you use might be beneficial for me too. On a note, I had a 3 month course of doxycycline back in 2003 when my rosacea was fierce and it gave me the IBS and much more stumach issues than I ever had before :S

Best wishes
Nat007
Apprentice Member
Apprentice Member

Postby MarieL » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:31 pm

If you have food allergies that make you flush, your rosacea is for sure also linked to your gut. If on the top of that you have IBS and colitis... I would be you, I would really try to find out more about that. Have you ever tried rifaximin ? Or any other med given to treat dysbiosis ?
MarieL
Apprentice Member
Apprentice Member

Postby ScarletDaria » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:57 pm

Sadly the benefits don't seem to last. Once again my skin is breaking out and my bloating/gas has returned. While I'm on the antibiotics everything improves, but I can't stay on them forever. In fact everything I read says it should only make things worse long term.
Anyway, the search continues for long term solution.
Also, I went to a dermatologist for the first time, she gave me several creams to use and none of that is making a difference so far.
I still think the gut issue has to be addressed.
ScarletDaria
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby LoisAnne » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:31 am

Do you think that going on the antibiotic Oracea would work? It is a low dosage that is supposed to be below the level of working as a true antibiotic and yet it helps with rosacea. It might not be strong enough to help with the gut issues but it is something that you could (supposedly) use safely for long term if it did help your skin.
I agree that gut issues have to be involved. As I have mentioned before, when my face was at its worst, about 3 years ago, I had a routine colonoscopy and had to do the prep stuff that totally cleaned out my gut. My face cleared up for several days, the best it has ever been. I am sure it was a result of having to cleanse my intestines.
LoisAnne
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Postby LoisAnne » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:33 am

PS: Most creams for rosacea have to be used for quite awhile before they do much good, in my experience. If the creams are not irritating your skin and making things worse, I would stick with them even if they don't seem to be working at the moment. What did she prescribe for you?
LoisAnne
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Postby Nat007 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:35 am

I tried to make a blog post about rosacea versus digestive problems. For those looking for more information, http://scarletnat.blogspot.fr/2013/12/r ... blems.html
Nat007
Apprentice Member
Apprentice Member

Postby Angelic80s » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:14 pm

ScarletDaria wrote:Sadly the benefits don't seem to last. Once again my skin is breaking out and my bloating/gas has returned. While I'm on the antibiotics everything improves, but I can't stay on them forever. In fact everything I read says it should only make things worse long term.

YES! This was my exact experience. I took alot of rifaximin for much longer than the standard course for SIBO. It did nothing for me and then slowly i started to get deep stabbing pain in my lower abdomen. I'm pretty sure I caused some kind of semi-permanent disruption to the bacteria in my gut... I don't think I had SIBO in the first place.

Doxycycline (which goes into the blood) did help my skin though... but also resulted in me getting IBS! doh!

Probiotics are definitely the key (if SIBO is not to blame). I see them as antibiotics but which only target the non-friendly bacteria.... there's some science to that because all the beneficial bacteria allow each other to prosper, whereas the non-beneficial will be at war with everything in the gut. And the probiotics will actually produce some substances to wipe out the bad guys!

I've heard the SIBO test shows alot of false positives...
Angelic80s
I'm new here
I'm new here

Next

Return to Systemic Rosacea Treatments