Clonidine Working But Side Effects Overwhelming

`Systemic' is just a fancy name for tablets that you take that can affect your whole `system'. Stop in here to talk about antibiotics, accutane and other sorts of oral therapies.

Clonidine Working But Side Effects Overwhelming

Postby milla3 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:59 pm

Hi guys this is my first post, but I've been following the support group for about 3 years now. I've become increasingly more aware of this awful condition, and much of it is thanks to this site. I'm 23, male, pale complexion (I live in Seattle--similar climate to London), relatively sensitive skin, mild to moderate rosacea in my "T-Zone", diagnosed at 18. I was hoping for some advice on clonidine. But first I just want to get the "basics" out of the way.

Current Treatment Regime:
- IPLs 3-10 times/year (have worked tremendously well)
- .75% Metrogel
- Cetaphil for facial wash once at night, plain water in the morning
- Cerave PM Moisturizer at night (which keeps my skin calm and I highly recommend)
- Cerave or Cetaphil moisturizer during the day
- Fallene Total Block SPF 65 everyday
- Red Light Therapy (have about a $200 red light lamp/can't recall what brand)

Triggers: (relatively few thank god)
- too much sun
- spicy foods
- anxiety/stress (to a lesser extent)

So my question involves clonidine. I have already taken it at 2 different stints in my life, and it works amazingly well for me. Last time I took it was about a year ago and, combined with the accumulation of several IPLs and just overall better care of my skin the last couple of years, it made my rosacea extremely dormant, virtually non-existant, and I've never been happier in my life. I would say I'm pretty attractive, especially when my rosacea is dormant, and I had never gotten more compliments for my looks in my entire life when I was on it. It makes me look totally rosace free, to the largest extent possible I think for me, and it made me feel more confident than I have in a long time. Above all else, I rarely even thought about my skin while I was on it! It gave me total peace of mind. However, I (and my family history suggests) am prone to headaches and migraines. When I took it a year ago i was just taking 1 .10 mg tablet at night., and that's all I needed to achieve those great results. However, I found myself getting headaches more frequently, less able to enjoy drinks with friends (i know you're not supposed to drink on it but i'm 23!) However, I only took it for about 1 month the last time I was on it, so I'm not sure I let my body get used to it. I'm also convinced that this time around, I could even cut it down to 1/2 a .10 MG tablet per day and still achieve excellent results. My question is, is there an alternative (such as other beta blockers) to clonidine that might offer fewer side effects? Also, I'm just curious as to how sustainable of a treatment it is to take clonidine for an extended period of time? I'm unsure that I can take clonidine for the rest of my life! But I also believe that I can just take it until something better comes along. Advice please?!
milla3
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: Clonidine Working But Side Effects Overwhelming

Postby Mike T » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:57 am

Hi & welcome from behind the shadows milla3, :D

I have also used Clonodine in the past and found it worked quite well, particularly during Summer were the heat increases my flushing tendencies. I may be required to take it this Summer again.

Unfortunately, as it is the only anti-blushing medication i have tried i wont be able to address the questions posed by you as such, however i am hoping someone else can provide some input for both of our benefits.

As a side note, we have a member by the name of "Wrinkledclue" who i believe has tried as many different types of anti-blushing medication as anyone, due to his severe blushing, and as a result is seemingly very versed with on the subject.

Hopefully we will hear from him, however i have a sneaking suspicion he may be on holidays or otherwise busy. In any case it may do you good to search up his name in the top right corner of the webpage, open a thread with one of his posts, click on his name under his display picture to get to his profile page and then click on the "search all users posts" link. As i mentioned earlier i believe a majority of his posts deal with medications and treatments to assist severe blushing.

Cheers,

Mike
Mike T
Moderator Team

Postby Aurelia » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:21 am

Hi milla3 and a warm welcome to the group, now you have come out of lurk mode (wave)

Congratulations on your basic regime, which sounds excellent.

Sorry but I've never used clonidine, so have nothing to add on the subject.

However, our dear Mike is absolutely right in saying that WrinkledClue knows a lot about anti-flushing meds. I would just venture to suggest that before making contact with WrinkledClue, you might like to re-read Mike's otherwise very helpful post above, but this time mentally replacing all of those references to he, him and his with ... oh, I don't know ... she, her and hers? (rofl)

Kind regards,

Aurelia
Aurelia
Rosacea Veteran
Rosacea Veteran

Postby Mike T » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:06 am

How embarresing, (redface)

If i'm correct this isn't the first time i have made that slip up either.

I actually wasn't 100% sure when writing the post, so i had a look at "her" profile but there was no reference to gender.

In the end i was fairly confident i had it right.... My bad
Mike T
Moderator Team

Postby Aurelia » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:24 am

Not at all. Anyone who chooses a user name and avatar that isn't gender specific runs that risk, so most are pretty relaxed about it.

Anyway, WrinkledClue is a very nice lady, so you're perfectly safe. There'll be none of this (frustrated), just some of this. (hug)

Kind regards,

Aurelia
Aurelia
Rosacea Veteran
Rosacea Veteran

Postby milla3 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:56 pm

Great! Thanks guys!

- Milla
milla3
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby CrabbyCathy » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:08 pm

Welcome! (wave)

I haven't taken clonidine either, and I am by no means a doctor, but my first instinct is: heart patients take beta blockers, etc. for years because they absolutely have to, and are generally okay with that. My own father took quite a medley of heart meds, including Atenolol as his beta blocker, and he was "fine".

Have you talked to your doctor about cutting the dose further, as you surmised you might be able to? Even perhaps your dermatologist, who might be familiar with different treatments for rosacea, rather than just your general doctor.

Ah, look at this! Clonidine is actually called a "alpha antagonist", because it not only treats high blood pressure, but also hot flashes during menopause.

http://rosacea-research.org/wiki/index. ... ntagonists

And some little hopefully helpful links

http://rosacea-support.org/nrs-on-beta- ... shing.html

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=2078&p=15426&hilit=clonidine#p15426

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=394&p=3090&hilit=clonidine#p3090

As to the confusion of gender--I've done it too! I forgot who I assumed was a female though (on here), but I did (redface) . And my first thought when I saw "Milla" was of course, the beautiful Milla Jovovich, but some names are gender-neutral. Very cool!
Cathy (makeup)
See my blog for tips and helpful links!
Please note: Any advice offered here is not meant to replace medical advice. Always see your dermatologist.
CrabbyCathy
Moderator Team

Postby milla3 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:48 am

Thanks Cathy. I am actually a man haha (last name is Miller = Milla). Ironically, I also had a heart attack about 9 months ago, even though I'm only 23. I'm not overweight or anything (6 ft 180 lbs) but suffered from a very uncommon viral infection call Miocroditis that made my heart inflammed and caused me to have a heart attack. Needless to say, a scary situation. So the idea that it helps hearts too is nice.

I think I'm gonna try taking it 1/2 a .10 mg tablet. As i said, I've taken one .10 mg tablet at night and results were amazing, but caused me to have headaches, especailly when i have a drink or 2.

I'll try taking just 1/2 a tablet or maybe less. I'm going to see my derm next week. She just had a baby so I haven't been able to see her for awhile now and am anxious to get back on clonidine or an alternative.

I've heard about Propnolol and other beta blockers that actually help with flushing AND prevent headaches/migraines. Has anyone tried Proponolol or anything like it?
milla3
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby milla3 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:09 am

I should note that in my opinion, and the opinion of others, my rosacea is "not that bad." It was "bad" aout 3 years ago until I started getting IPLs on a semi-regular basis, and now it is relatively under control and relatively dormant--without the clonidine in my daily routine. And I still get compliments on my looks regularly without being on clonidine.

But I also know of the importance of a "multi-pronged" approach to rosaceA. Clonidine--combined with the rest of my skin care regime--makes my skin look completely devoid of any blotchiness. And maybe more importantly, being on clonidine makes me feel like I am in control of my rosacea rather than the other way around. It gives me total peace of mind: while on it I did not do any excessive mirror checks and I rarely thought about my skin As I'm beginning to mature, I've realized how important having peace of mind is, specifically regarding this condition. Rosacea has inhibited my ability to chase opportunities in my personal and professional life. Having rosacea has pre-occupied my mind to the extent that I've ignored more important things going on around me and that i've missed out on many things going on in my life. I've also suffered from anxiety issues, partly stemming from rosacea. I'm in my senior year of college and I want to be in control of my life.

I feel that going back on clonidine or an alternative gives me that sense of control, at a small cost.
milla3
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Aurelia » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:50 am

milla3 wrote:As I'm beginning to mature, I've realized how important having peace of mind is, specifically regarding this condition. Rosacea has inhibited my ability to chase opportunities in my personal and professional life. Having rosacea has pre-occupied my mind to the extent that I've ignored more important things going on around me and that i've missed out on many things going on in my life. I've also suffered from anxiety issues, partly stemming from rosacea. I'm in my senior year of college and I want to be in control of my life.

That is so wise! To be able to say that even after the serious scare of a heart attack says a lot about how well you are handling this. Bravo!

Kind regards,

Aurelia
Aurelia
Rosacea Veteran
Rosacea Veteran

Next

Return to Systemic Rosacea Treatments