Oracea

`Systemic' is just a fancy name for tablets that you take that can affect your whole `system'. Stop in here to talk about antibiotics, accutane and other sorts of oral therapies.

Re: Oracea

Postby breezes » Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:04 pm

I have sores on my scalp which the doc calls folliculitis. However, he did not do a biopsy so who is to say. anyway, after trying almost everything oral, i tried Oracea. after 2 months of being on it i had almost no breakouts. However, now my insurance company won't cover it. I did try doxy 50 mg one time day- no luck and 50 mg 2x day, plus 100mg of doxy 1x and then 2x day. also I've tried other oral antibiotics used for rosacea, etc. nothing. I am however considering Periostat, that is 20mg of doxy 2x day. I read Oracea is time released doxy- 30 mg right away and 10mg time release. whatever, it does work different than just plain doxy as i have tired them all.
so if you can afford it -use it. It does work better than just plain doxy . I know it does not make sense- b/c it is doxy, but it is time release and apparently doxy at 40 mg and below works differently on the skin. it works as an anti inflammatory not an antibiotic. You might be able to get Periostat that is 20 mg 2x day and try that. Thats doxy too, used for people who have dental problems ( ie, your insurance may cover Periostat if it does not cover Oracea, as Periostat is not new, and is prescribed at 20mg 2 x a day.
Last edited by David Pascoe on Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed references.
breezes
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby CrabbyCathy » Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:16 am

Hmmm,

I thought my derm was going to give me Oracea for my flare-up, but he instead gave me regular old doxycycline, 50 mg twice daily. I've only been on it for, let's see, 4 days today, so nothing yet of course. My derm told me to stay on it for 2-3 weeks. I guess I should just do what he says, but reading all these posts makes me wonder: is Oracea better because it's time-released? Is 50 mg of regular doxycycline once daily better?

There's another interesting tidbit that I think should be posted on Rosacea Research and News, but I'll mention a tiny bit here. This month's Shape magazine (May 2008, pg 84) makes mention of a possible cure for rosacea, due to identifying B. oleronius bacteria as the culprit. It says that antibiotics such as tetracycline and monocycline destroy this type of bacteria. A more in-depth article is on the website for The National Rosacea Society (http://www.rosacea.org/press/archive/20040503.php) If this is true, that's great! But on this thread, some people said that Oracea didn't work for them....

I know there are worse things we could have, in terms of diseases and skin conditions, but I still do wish rosacea could be done away with once and for all!
Cathy (makeup)
See my blog for tips and helpful links!
Please note: Any advice offered here is not meant to replace medical advice. Always see your dermatologist.
CrabbyCathy
Moderator Team

Postby David Pascoe » Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:29 am

Hi Cathy,

I think the only place that you will notice the difference between oracea and 50mg of doxycycline taken at the same time each day, will be in your hip pocket !

davidp.
Get Rosacea News here: https://rosacea-support.org
David Pascoe
Moderator Team

Postby mimi » Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:07 pm

The savings card program made my co-pay for Oracea $0 (instead of $30). I went to: http://www.oracea.com/Patient/Reimbursement/Default.asp and completed the information and a savings card was mailed to me. I thought I would still have to pay $25, but to my delight the pharmacy ran the card thru and the co-pay was $0. I don't know how long this savings card will be in effect, but I wanted to pass along this information to anyone and hope it's helpful to others in the group. Mimi
mimi
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby deegirl » Wed May 21, 2008 12:13 am

I was holding off on using oracea because I never liked antibiotics. But my skin took a turn for the worst for unknown reasons and I had huge cysts (which I never get) so made an appointment with the derm who prescribed it for me and gave me a savings card ($10 co-pay vs $35). I've had a significant improvement in the P&Ps but not much for redness :-( My skin feels very smooth now. Unfortunately, what works for some doesn't work for all but if anyone is hesitating like I was it's worth a shot.
deegirl
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby homework » Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:28 am

Hi everyone,

I've been taking Oracea now for about 3 months and that, combined with daily usage of Metrogel and Cetaphil as a cleanser has kept the acne dormant and has decreased the redness on my cheaks. I have noticed that if I miss just one day of Oracea, I will get an outburst of usually one or two large pimples, which will stay with me for about 4-5 days. I've been experimenting and I can tell you for sure that (for me), Oracea must be taken everyday.

I have a question. For those who are taking Oracea, I'm wondering how long I can continue this medication? Everyday for the rest of my life? Or are there side effects with long term use?

Regarding the cost, my pharmacy (Safeway Grocery Store) doesn't take the discount card. Not sure if it's my insurance or Safeway...I have to investigate. Also, I was thinking about laser treatment. Any recommendations on which lasers are best? I"m a novice...

Thanks in advance
homework
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby deegirl » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:41 pm

There are two ways to go - IPL which is Intense Pulsed Light. Lumenis One is supposed to be the best IPL (also known as photoderm or photofacial).

There is also a true laser which is V-beam (also know as PDL-Pulsed Dye Laser). V-beam will leave bruises (known as pupura). These look really nasty and won't completely fade for about 2-3 weeks. There is a V-beam called Perfecta that doesn't leave any bruising but some think it is not as effective.

Some people prefer IPL and others V-beam, it depends.

More info here

http://rosacea-support.org/articles/pulse-dye-laser

http://rosacea-support.org/articles/ipl

Good Luck :)
deegirl
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby David Pascoe » Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:32 pm

homework wrote:I have a question. For those who are taking Oracea, I'm wondering how long I can continue this medication? Everyday for the rest of my life? Or are there side effects with long term use?

The official trials for Oracea only studied the treatment for a period of 9 months. Like all drugs, even at low dose, the potential for adverse side effects always exist.

Low dose antibiotics are thought to be much safer to take long term as they don't affect the gut flora and are also not as likely to cause antibiotic resistance.

As to how long `long term' really is, that is not an exacting science. Your doctor can advise how long they think it is safe.

My GP was happy to keep me on 50mg a day of doxycycline for a few years while I continued to need to take it and continued to get a benefit from it.

hope this helps,
davidp.
David Pascoe
Moderator Team

Postby yoli » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:24 am

David, I have a question for you how long did you took antibiotics for? how many years and do you still take it?
yoli
Star Member
Star Member

Postby David Pascoe » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:09 am

I took doxycycline for maybe as much at 7 years. I no longer need it, having reduced my inflammation and papules and pustules to the point that I can get away without them. I tried a few times to come off them but it took a while to wean the dose down and find other things that worked to help as well.

I have put some comments up about my past rosacea treatments - hopefully helpful, although everyone is probably different enough to require a bit of experimentation.
David Pascoe
Moderator Team

PreviousNext

Return to Systemic Rosacea Treatments