How I cured my rosacea

`Systemic' is just a fancy name for tablets that you take that can affect your whole `system'. Stop in here to talk about antibiotics, accutane and other sorts of oral therapies.

How I cured my rosacea

Postby lindsay » Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:00 pm

Hi,

I've been on the antibiotic tetracycline for a few years for rosacea. But I hated it, it caused me to get chronic yeast infections, and I had very little libido while on the antibiotic. So I've been doing a lot of research lately to try to get off it. And I believe I have cured my rosacea naturally.

I found some research that said that many rosacea patients have low stomach acid (hypochloridia). So I followed the advice I found and bought some HCl supplements with Pepsin enzymes. I bought capsules instead of tablets because capsules break apart faster. To see if I had low stomach acid, I took one capsule with a meal. I would think that if I already had enough stomach acid, I would feel discomfort or burning from the capsule. But I felt fine. I started taking 1-2 capsules with each meal for a week, while continuing taking the tetracycline. I also read that rosacea can be aggravated by demodex skin mites, (many rosacea patients have an abnormally large population of these mites) so I decided to treat for that as well. I washed, exfoliated, and dampened my face, hair, chest and back, and liberally applied undiluted tea tree oil to the damp skin (i recommend that the ingredient list say Oil of Melaleuca Alternifolia, that is the most quality oil). I spread a large towel over my sheets and left the tea tree oil on overnight. I did this for the next couple nights, and then I reduced it to just on the face at night. I really think it helped, especially on my nose where I think I had a lot of mites. I had redness and acne there, but now it is gone, and no acne there. I now use the tea tree oil on my face at night, a couple times a week. Not difficult at all.

Anyways, after about a week of stomach acid supplements and tea tree oil, I decided to go off the tetracycline and see what happens. I feared the worst because in the past if I went off my tetracycline for a few days, my rosacea would flare up badly. But it's now been 7 days since I last took any tetracycline, and my rosacea is gone! My face isn't flaring up at all. There is a little bit of mild redness on my cheeks, but it doesnt look any different from a girl who doesn't have rosacea. I would say it is 90% cured.

So I've been taking high quality probiotics to fix the internal damage done by the tetracycline. I recommend UDO's choice, that is a very good brand. Keep them in the refrigerator and take 3 capsules a day, after a meal. I've also been taking vitamin, omega fatty acids, and mineral supplements.

I always thought my hair was very dry from blow drying too much, but after a week of taking HCl supplements with meals, my hair is smooth and silky. And my skin looks great. I'm so happy to be off the tetracycline.

To any girls out there - the tetracycline caused me yeast infections, and also other bacterial infections that I saw a gynocologist for and will begin treatment for. If you have any discharge, talk to a gynocologist. They will prescribe a cream you can insert for 10 days, it's very easy.
lindsay
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: How I cured my rosacea

Postby johnny » Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:52 am

Hi,

I was interested in your approach as it is in some ways mirrors mine.I am a 61 year old British male and have had a moderate rosacea for 20 years.I tried the low doseage antibiotics and had so many creams in my briefcase when I turned up at the Dermatologist he asked to photograph it for a lecture slide.No picture of me just the briefcase.
He put me on Roaccutane(Accutane in the US)...20 mgs ...it wasn't bad ...the Patient info sheet is very scary.The spots and redness had disappeared.I was on it for 6 months went down to half dose for another month but the spots are returning under my eyes where they have never been before and behind my ears where they always were and which I treat with a steroid.
I am fit and healthy;sweat a lot at my Spinning sessions at the gym;vegetarian;drink alcohol very little;am in the antique restoration business so it's like being retired at the moment;have no stress except my putting ought to be better.
The skin is the largest organ of excretion so I figured it has to be something in the digestive system.I have started the HCL and Pepsin and am just taking one a day with a meal.It has made me a bit burpy but I can live with that.It beats frightenning small children when out in daylight...on which subject none of my friends I have talked too about rosacea never noticed I had a problem.Perhaps we are all too conscious of our appearance.
Let me know if you get any changes...I will do likewise.
johnny
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby co7dy » Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:34 pm

So basically treating your low stomach acid and tea tree oil is what cured your rosacea?

has anyone else tried this? what kind of doctor can test me for low stomach acid?
co7dy
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Chris » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:51 pm

I was just diagnosed and my face was pretty red and swollen. I used the metron gel the doctor gave me for 3 weeks without noticing an improvement. I also was dismayed at the thought of antibiotics either inside or outside my body for the rest of my life. I tried the 100% tea tree oil on my head, face and ears. I put it on 15 minutes before a shower to kill the buggers. I also am taking all natural non filtered apple cidar vinegar for acid reflux. My face looks great after less than a week. I'm going to do my 4th TTO treamtment today. I've done it every other day. My regular make-up officially hides what little redness I have and the veins are going away as well. Why not try something that is extremely inexpensive 5 to 10 dollars for a tiny bottle that goes a long way and there isn't some company out there marketing it towards rosacea sufferers.
Chris
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Gastrodisaster » Sun May 11, 2008 7:58 pm

I hope "how I cured my rosacea" member. You really helped me out. I started Bettaine after reading your post. You saved my job. I started having Gastro problems 4 years ago. I never for the life of me would have considered putting more acid into my system. When I first started Bettaine I was able to take 3x650mg with no problems. My bowels started returning to normal. Now in all fairness to the Bettaine theory I also did the following:

Stopped Alcohol Consumption
Stopped Sugar Consumption
Stopped Soda Consumption
Started Eating Vegetables
Started Drinking Water
Started Taking Vitamins

I just got from mowing the lawn in noon day sun with now sunblock. No problem.....I also had a hot shower this morning no problem. I can use acne medications now. My Rosacea started with the Gastro problems. Most doctors give you antacids the minuted you have problems with the gut. Low stomach acid may have been the culprit for me. I had undigested food showing up regularly. No more, Bettaine has caused me to got twice a day some times. With the Bettaine treatment I noticed the need to go 20 minutes after eating a meal.. Things have definitely change for me. I don't know if this will help everyone, but, if you have stomach problems you should think about low stomach acid. Best wishes to all.....

God bless and best wishes.

G
Gastrodisaster
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Aurelia » Tue May 13, 2008 12:15 pm

Hi G,

Welcome to the group! It's always encouraging to hear success stories.

Irrespective of what role diet might play in any given individual's rosacea, the whole system can only benefit from a shift to a much healthier lifestyle. It can't have been easy for you, so it's nice that you were so rewarded.

Congratulations!

Kind regards,

Aurelia
Aurelia
Rosacea Veteran
Rosacea Veteran

Postby john » Sun May 18, 2008 11:23 pm

hi my name is john .i live in the us in chicago, can you tell me where you get the tea tree oil and the acid supplements and there names please .its been 4 monthe now and my nose wont clear up,i`m going to a new derm, on the 3 of june but so far nothing is helping i gave up beer and dairy good but nothing,please let me know ...thank you
john
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Aurelia » Mon May 19, 2008 3:41 pm

Hi John,

Thanks for posting. I was just wondering how you are getting on. Can't personally advise on where to buy tea tree oil and acid supplements in Chicago, but I think they're pretty standard items in most health food shops and perhaps also in drug stores these days, or one can buy off the internet.

A lot of rosaceans get put on antibiotics when their skin is playing up badly, but I don't recall anyone needing a penicillin injection for it, as well as pills, so your infection must have been really severe. Even though you're still red, I do hope the drugs cleaned it up to a tolerable level.

Still two weeks until you can get to see the new derm. Not good, but at least it isn't worse. You know we'll be hoping that the derm will be really knowledgeable and sympathetic and you'll get excellent advice. Do please let us know how the visit goes, and what the results are.

Kindest regards,

Aurelia
Aurelia
Rosacea Veteran
Rosacea Veteran

Postby yoli » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:50 pm

regarding this tea tree oil does it work for the inflammation on the skin. I have rosacea but what i have is more of the pastules than the redness. I have been on Oracea for 16 weeks and I want to start getting off it but i would like to try something natural. Please let me know. Thank you. :-(
yoli
Star Member
Star Member

Postby David Pascoe » Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:05 am

My understanding is that tea tree oil is a very harsh ingredient to be applying directly to the skin. I would use it very carefully in case you react badly to it. I have seen a study where it is used to treat eye lashes - it killed the demodex mites. It would sting the eyes, so again care would be needed using TTO around the eyes. so in short I'd move TTO down the list of things to try topically for rosacea.

davidp.
Get Rosacea News here: https://rosacea-support.org
David Pascoe
Moderator Team

Next

Return to Systemic Rosacea Treatments