Any experiences with Minocycline?

`Systemic' is just a fancy name for tablets that you take that can affect your whole `system'. Stop in here to talk about antibiotics, accutane and other sorts of oral therapies.

Any experiences with Minocycline?

Postby mattnewhampshire » Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:44 pm

Went to a new Dermatologist today and was finally correctly diagnosed with Pap/Pus rosacea.
Treatment with metrogel wasn't successful, nor was clindamyacin. After he was told that he prescribed
100mg Minocycline twice a day. He told me to use it until everything was cleared up and then to stop unless I had another flare-up down the road.
Other than that he said just to wash and moisturize like I've been doing.

Anyone have any success with this medicine?
mattnewhampshire
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: Any experiences with Minocycline?

Postby David Pascoe » Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:11 am

Were you prescribed a oral antibiotic to go along with the metrogel to start with ? Many find that combining an antibiotic with metrogel works well in reducing the papules and pustules of rosacea. Certainly combining both together if a very common form of treatment.

Minocycline is likely to also give you a good benefit on its own. You may even like to explore a lower dose when your symptoms have subsided. This lower dose can then help maintain a P&P free existence.

I was on doxycycline, another tetracycline, for quite a few years and found it very helpful.

all the best, let us know how you get on,
davidp.
Get Rosacea News here: https://rosacea-support.org
David Pascoe
Moderator Team

Postby mattnewhampshire » Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:12 pm

Thanks for the feedback.
I wasn't using an oral with the metrogel acutally. I still have a lot left and a refill, maybe I should use it in conjunction wtih the minocycline?
mattnewhampshire
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Lisamouries » Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:07 am

Hi.
Was the minocycline prescribed by another Dr? In which case you should talk to the Dr who prescribed the metrogel to check.
Kind regards.
Lisa M.
Lisa M.
Lisamouries
Moderator Team

Postby cindy » Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:20 pm

I'm a newby to this site as well as rosacea. My doctor prescribed minocycline 100mg once daily along with sodium sulfacetamide 10% and sulfur 5% lotion to apply at bedtime. I have taken a 30 day supply of the minocycline so far, I guess I want a miracle, but I dont see a difference yet. (tears)
cindy
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby mattnewhampshire » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:03 pm

Well, it's been 1 week today and I must say that I am extremely happy! My forehead has cleared up and only a couple of small spots on the cheeks, what an improvement!!!
mattnewhampshire
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby mattnewhampshire » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:57 am

Been 3 weeks today and I'm going to stop taking it now at the Dr's orders. My face looks awesome! He said to put it away now until everything starts coming back.

I have a completely clear face!
mattnewhampshire
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Aurelia » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:17 am

Hey, Matt!

That's brilliant! (yahoo) Thanks so much for sharing it with us.

Here's hoping it will last for a good long while.

Kind regards,

Aurelia
Aurelia
Rosacea Veteran
Rosacea Veteran

Postby mattnewhampshire » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:31 pm

Well, I'm going on 6 weeks tomorrow without any major outbreaks, and I haven't taken the medicine for almost 3 weeks. I flushed a little over last weekend when I have some beers, but no Pap/Pus or acne of any sort, no redness except for those occasional flushes. What a difference!
mattnewhampshire
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby nbandsb » Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:11 pm

I have used minocycline for years off and on and it worked better for me than any other oral meds. I had to come off and discontinue use because I began having blue patches developing on my cheeks, blue spots in my ears and a large black patch on the top of my foot. The doctor took a biopsy from my foot and the results showed a collection of iron/minerals and blood deposits and it was determined these spots were all happening as a result of my long term use of minocycline. I'm not sure this happens to everyone but it is definitely a side effect I experienced. I am very sad because I loved being on this medication and it kept my breakout totally under control.
nbandsb
I'm new here
I'm new here

Return to Systemic Rosacea Treatments