Cerave cleanser and lotion

A gentle cleanser is an important part of everyone's rosacea regime. Find out here which ones work for you.

Re: Cerave cleanser and lotion

Postby Mikel » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:47 pm

Hi Mellisa, thanks again. I have used Vanicream Lite and it is not for me. The Propylene Glycol stings my skin & the petrolatum is not appropriate for my combo skin. A better product with Petrolatum is DML Lotion. I use DML Lotion in winters.

I have analyzed Toleriane & don't think it has anything state of the art to justify the price. I am very ingredient driven and it makes little difference what the manufacturer claims. I also have a subscription to Paula's www.beautypedia.com and she doesn't rate Toleriane very well. Yvette posted that she had luck with skinmedica. I am planning to look into it. I also want to try Good Skin All Calm Moistrure Lotion.

I am stuck with Olay Sensitive Skin Foaming Face Wash & Cerave for now.
Current Regimen: Himalaya Organique Neem & Turmeric face Wash /Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion (Day)Cerave Moisturizing Lotion + Metrogel (Night)
Mikel
Apprentice Member
Apprentice Member

Postby CrabbyCathy » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:35 am

Do you like any of Paula Begoun's products? I love her gel cleanser. And I did like the two moisturizers below, they were just not heavy enough for my now-dry cheeks. One is a gel, I used to use that in the summer all over. Now I just use it on my T-zone.

http://www.paulaschoice.com/product/hydralight-moisture-infusing-lotion/moisturizers

http://www.paulaschoice.com/product/skin-balancing-moisture-gel/moisturizers

Oh! But this is a cream. Maybe if you applied it lightly on damp skin, it would work. It's from Skin Actives, their "base" cream. I use it plain, as-is, but might doctor up my next little jar with more hydrating ingredients. You could also mix up your own hydrating gel-serum; they have a forum too, or I might have listed it here someplace. I will look.

http://www.skinactives.com/product/detail.aspx?prodID=20

Hmmm, well, the serum is similar to Skinceauticals Hydrating B5 gel (http://www.skinstore.com). Let me know if you want the homemade recipe, I think I have it in my filing cabinet.
Cathy (makeup)
See my blog for tips and helpful links!
Please note: Any advice offered here is not meant to replace medical advice. Always see your dermatologist.
CrabbyCathy
Moderator Team

Postby Mikel » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:29 pm

Hi Cathy, you've opened up a Pandora's box for me.

I've always wanted to make my own moisturizer, but didn't know I could actually do it. I will explore Skinactives.com
My only issue with them seems to be the jar packaging, which as per Paula is not good as all antioxidants are lost in jar packaging.

The Skinceuticals Serum costs a lot so please share whatever recipes that you may have.

Its funny I swear by Paula's reviews but I can't use any of her products.
I have the Skin Balancing Gel Cleanser, Balancing Gel Moisturizer and the Hydralight Lotion. They're just gathering dust.

I have so much to explore at Skinactives and so many questions. I love you for pointing me to them, Thank You so much! :)
Current Regimen: Himalaya Organique Neem & Turmeric face Wash /Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion (Day)Cerave Moisturizing Lotion + Metrogel (Night)
Mikel
Apprentice Member
Apprentice Member

Postby Lisamouries » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:36 pm

Mikel. A bit off topic I know but I LOVE your avatar choice. Good ol' Vincent, he was a wild man.
Lisa M.
Lisamouries
Moderator Team

Postby Mikel » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:38 pm

Lisamouries wrote:Mikel. A bit off topic I know but I LOVE your avatar choice. Good ol' Vincent, he was a wild man.

Thank You Lisa. I'm going crazy on the skinactives site right now, the one that crabcathy pointed ,me to. I have a bad feling that I'll end up spending more money than I should. (speechless)
Mikel
Apprentice Member
Apprentice Member

Postby CrabbyCathy » Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:15 am

Mikel wrote:
Lisamouries wrote:Mikel. A bit off topic I know but I LOVE your avatar choice. Good ol' Vincent, he was a wild man.

Thank You Lisa. I'm going crazy on the skinactives site right now, the one that crabcathy pointed ,me to. I have a bad feling that I'll end up spending more money than I should. (speechless)

Oh noooooo; I should have typed out the few ingredients to get first! (shocked) But I did the same thing.

Let me go into the filing cabinet, one second. Okay!

Basic Serum (will make 2 oz): 4 TB distilled water, 3/4 tsp hyaluronic acid, 6-8 drops NaPCA, and 2 drops of the preservative Liquapar. You can adjust the HA and NaPCA to your liking after using the serum a few times; you'll know if it's too "watery", not moisturizing enough, etc. by trying it and just feeling how it is on your skin. At first, the HA (powder) might gel up and sit there in one big lump; just shake it every so often and by the next day it will all be dissolved. Even with preservative, I refrigerate mine. And apply to damp skin.

Oh, I completely forgot; you can get a nice little plastic bottle at Long's, Target, etc. that will allow you to squirt out a few drops, or I found some glass dropper bottles online.

Don't forget to check out their rosacea forum section, with recipes, etc.
Cathy (makeup)
See my blog for tips and helpful links!
Please note: Any advice offered here is not meant to replace medical advice. Always see your dermatologist.
CrabbyCathy
Moderator Team

Postby Mikel » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:10 pm

Hello,

I've been busy with the Skinactives. I thought I'd choose the stuff I want & they'll formulate.
Now I figured that I need to do it myself so I'm a little not sure.

I might try their ready to use stuff like the Anti Inflammatory Cream or the European Cream First.
They use jar packaging and when I asked them about antioxidants becoming unstable due to jar packaging, they almost banned me from the forum. :P
I tend to create trouble on any forum that I land on (doh)

I found another that is more convenient, haven't had time to look it up yet.

I wish I could just order what I want in my lotion & somebody would formulate it (snob)
Mikel
Apprentice Member
Apprentice Member

Postby Aurelia » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:49 pm

Anyone wanting to make their own skincare preparations might like to check out our own Home-made Mixes subforum, preferably starting with the oldest threads first:

viewforum.php?f=34

Artist, who started the Home-made Mixes section, also wrote this at our Resource Pages section:

http://rosacea-research.org/wiki/index. ... rmulations

BTW there are many other firms selling ingredients, including the Garden of Wisdom site discussed here:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1200

Kind regards,

Aurelia
Aurelia
Rosacea Veteran
Rosacea Veteran

Postby Lisamouries » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:48 am

They use jar packaging and when I asked them about antioxidants becoming unstable due to jar packaging

Just out of interest what are you suggesting they use instead of jars then? Or is it glass versus plastic? Not sure, please clarify.
Thank you.
Lisa M.
Lisamouries
Moderator Team

Postby Mikel » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:51 pm

I'm not suggesting anything. I just read on Paula Begoun's site that unless antioxidants are stored in an opaque container with no chance of contaminants getting in; it will become unstable.
I think she is against jar packaging.

Elizabeth Arden has a time capsule and you need to open it and apply it directly to the skin.
Skinactives does have some good stuff though.
Mikel
Apprentice Member
Apprentice Member

PreviousNext

Return to Cleansers