Cerave cleanser and lotion

A gentle cleanser is an important part of everyone's rosacea regime. Find out here which ones work for you.
CrabbyCathy
Moderator Team

Re: Cerave cleanser and lotion

Post by CrabbyCathy »

Well, for the things from Skin Actives that I recommended, such as the plain old canvas moisturizer and the gel moisturizer, there are no anti-oxidants, so they would be okay in regular containers. Just my two cents!
Cathy (makeup)
See my blog for tips and helpful links!
Please note: Any advice offered here is not meant to replace medical advice. Always see your dermatologist.
Mikel
Apprentice Member
Apprentice Member

Post by Mikel »

Cathy,

I was thinling about their anti inflammatory cream since they recommend it for Rosacea & Psoriasis. It has some good antioxidants. It does cost a lot more than the Canvas though (shocked)

I just stocked up on Cerave Lotion and bought a 12% Vitamin E Lotion (Vitec). I'm mixing them to see if the antioxidant does any good for either skin conditions.
Paula Begoun rates Cerave very highly but says it lacks antioxidants. So I bought the best antioxidant cream I could.

I may buy one of the Ati Inflammatory or European creams from skinactives. The European seems better than canvas since no diazonidyl Urea or Parabens in it.
The Diazonidyl Urea is contraindicated in Rosacea.

You know its funny, I was reading the ingredients on my tube of Skin Balancing Gel by Paula's Choice & it seems very similar to the skinactives creams.
I think its a whole lot cheaper too. Have you tried any of the antioxidant serums by Paula or skinactives?

Also, did you say you were using skinmedica cleanser?

Have a chilled out friday!
Current Regimen: Himalaya Organique Neem & Turmeric face Wash /Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion (Day)Cerave Moisturizing Lotion + Metrogel (Night)
Mikel
Apprentice Member
Apprentice Member

Post by Mikel »

Current Regimen: Himalaya Organique Neem & Turmeric face Wash /Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion (Day)Cerave Moisturizing Lotion + Metrogel (Night)
CrabbyCathy
Moderator Team

Post by CrabbyCathy »

Hi there!

I did try both Paula's Choice anti-oxidant serums, but didn't like the texture---silicone-y. At this point, I'm more worried about the inflammation, vs. trying to get something high in anti-oxidants. I know, they're good for the skin and all that, but I need to calm my skin down! :oops: I went to a wedding this Saturday, and ate a lot of my personal trigger--cheese.

No, not using Skinmedica cleanser--just Neutrogena, Paula's Choice for oily/normal skin, or Remy Laure (from my esthetician). What did I try from Skinactive....let me go look. It was a serum that made my t-zone (no rosacea) look and feel great, but the second time I applied, my cheeks (rosacea) objected. Ah, the CHAS serum. As to the Anti-inflammatory cream, it lasts a long time; you use a plastic spatula to scoop out a small amount, and applied to damp skin, it spreads well.

I like the one mentioned in the link you provided! I would only worry about how my cheeks would like the black willow bark (salicylic acid) and the vitamin C. It sounds fab, though.
Cathy (makeup)
Please note: Any advice offered here is not meant to replace medical advice. Always see your dermatologist.
Mikel
Apprentice Member
Apprentice Member

Post by Mikel »

Hi Cathy,

Thank You for putting things in perspective for me. Somewhere down the line I assumed that antioxidants would be good for rosacea.
I think I'll back off a bit.

I just ordered a 1 OZ Anti Inflammatory cream from skinactives, will see how it goes.

Also keen on derma e products, escpecially the ones with pycnogenol. I'll search if anybody has used it here else will start a new thread.
Oh, I cant use Salicylic acid. Thanks for pointing out.
CrabbyCathy
Moderator Team

Post by CrabbyCathy »

Just noticed in your signature that you use the Clinique Liquid Soap; I get Paula's newsletter, and she said it's a very good facial cleanser; gentle, despite the misleading mention of "soap" in the name! I'm gonna get a sample.
Last edited by CrabbyCathy on Fri May 08, 2009 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: spelling!
Cathy (makeup)
Mikel
Apprentice Member
Apprentice Member

Post by Mikel »

Cathy,

I bought the Clinique Cleanser a while ago & back then I did not understand much about cosmetic science & ingredients.
Its a good cleanser for Normal/oily Skin without any Rosacea or psoriasis/Eczema. Thing is, it has Sodium Laureth Sulfate as the 2nd ingredient & that's a lot of SLES. It dries my face a lot. But it rinses clean & does not clog pores. I have used other cleansers with SLES that don't dry my skin but then they have SLES as the 4th ingredient & in concentrations less than 1%. Aquanil comes to mind!

I have a subscription to Paula's Beautypedia & am aware that she rates it as a good water soluble cleanser. They have an Extra Mild version but it does not lather and the one for Oily skin is contraindicated by paula as it has menthol. I will suggest that you get a few samples but please do not buy it before you try it!

I have gone back to my Skin Balancing Cleanser by Paula for now, till I get my hands on the Derma e Cleanser and serum:
http://www.dermae.net/cgi-bin/fccgi.exe ... HICH=fc_cl
http://www.dermae.net/cgi-bin/fccgi.exe ... CH=fc_moge

The Anti Inflammatory Cream from Skinactives is on its way too. I have something to look forward to :)

P.S. Let me know if you don't have access to beautypedia. I can provide Paula's indepth reviews from there via PM.
CrabbyCathy
Moderator Team

Post by CrabbyCathy »

I've been tempted to subscribe; it's not that much for a year, right? Thanks for your offer of supplying me with a review or two. :)

I hope you love the Anti-Inflammatory Cream! You don't have to use a lot.
Cathy (makeup)
Mikel
Apprentice Member
Apprentice Member

Post by Mikel »

I'm thinking if I should give you my password for the Beautypedia to look around....You can't do anything wrong in there!
And the money you save you can buy me some rosacea kits (;) Just kidding!
CrabbyCathy
Moderator Team

Post by CrabbyCathy »

Noooooo! You don't have to do that. :)
Cathy (makeup)