Cerave cleanser and lotion

A gentle cleanser is an important part of everyone's rosacea regime. Find out here which ones work for you.

Cerave cleanser and lotion

Postby Artist » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:21 pm

I've posted about Cerave a few times. I started using it maybe a week ago. It didn't bother my rosacea, and was quite gentle on it, actually. However, my pores tend to clog easily and after several days I started to see some random little acne bumps here and there :( So, it may be a good choice for rosacea, but not for acne (in my case, anyway).

Artist
Artist
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Re: Cerave cleanser and lotion

Postby CrabbyCathy » Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:34 am

Oh (doh) ! Well, thanks for posting---my pores clog easily too, and I was tempted by the Cerave. How annoying! I personally have combo skin, but the oily parts sometimes get dry and need moisture; I give them moisture, then the pores in those areas happily proceed to clog. Can't win.

Hmmm. On the yahoo forum, someone posted about both Aquanil and DML. Have you ever used those? I think they have both cleansers and moisturizers, if I remember correctly.
Cathy (makeup)
See my blog for tips and helpful links!
Please note: Any advice offered here is not meant to replace medical advice. Always see your dermatologist.
CrabbyCathy
Moderator Team

Postby Artist » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:52 pm

I was telling the La Prairie rep how shocked I was since, after all, the Cerave says "non-comedogenic" right on the bottle. She said "My dear, the packaging on EVERY cosmetic out there will SAY that". ha ha ha! It was a good reality check.

Artist
Artist
Accomplished Helper
Accomplished Helper

Postby CrabbyCathy » Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:21 pm

Yes, I learned that when trying Cetaphil on my face. (speechless) Love it for my hands and body, but for my face? No. Another example is my best friend; a cream can be non-comedogenic on her, then I try it, and hello clogged pores. Oh, and when I was a teen, I could use Neutrogena facial moisturizers, no problem, but now, same thing--clogged pores. I guess skin goes through many changes as we get older.
Cathy (makeup)
Please note: Any advice offered here is not meant to replace medical advice. Always see your dermatologist.
CrabbyCathy
Moderator Team

Postby Mikel » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:52 pm

Cerave Lotion is the only lotion I can use on my face, other than DML Lotion. Cerave is far more effective but DML works on the principle of less is more.
I cant use the Cerave Cleanser though as my pores get clogged. Go Figure!
Current Regimen: Himalaya Organique Neem & Turmeric face Wash /Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion (Day)Cerave Moisturizing Lotion + Metrogel (Night)
Mikel
Apprentice Member
Apprentice Member

Postby CrabbyCathy » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:23 am

Do you use the actual lotion, or the cream in the tub?
Cathy (makeup)
CrabbyCathy
Moderator Team

Postby Mikel » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:29 am

I use the lotion as the cream is a bit heavy for my combo skin.
Current Regimen: Himalaya Organique Neem & Turmeric face Wash /Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion (Day)Cerave Moisturizing Lotion + Metrogel (Night)
Mikel
Apprentice Member
Apprentice Member

Postby melissaw » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:20 pm

I have a similar reaction to the Cerave cleanser interestingly enough. I find it breaks me out a bit. However I use both the Cerave lotion and cream successfully (so far) and find it very soothing and calming for my rosacea. I have dry skin though so that is probably why I can use the cream without any issues re clogging my pores.

I like the fact that it repairs the skin barrier. Or so goes the claim made by CeraVe and so far so good.

http://www.cerave.com/

CeraVe is a unique blend of skin-nourishing, skin-silkening ingredients combined with a patented Multivesicular Emulsion (MVE) delivery technology that, together, work to rebuild and repair the skin barrier. The patented technology assists in delivering these essential ingredients slowly, throughout the day, deep into the top layer of your skin, also known as the stratum corneum. As a result of this unique action, CeraVe rebuilds the lipid bilayer and repairs the skin barrier,

Best wishes,
Melissa
melissaw
Star Member
Star Member

Postby Mikel » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:22 pm

Hi Mellisa,

I too feel Cerave repairs the barrier. It does not irritate my psoriasis, takes care of the scaling/flaking and helps with the rosacea too.
However, since I live in a hot & humid place; I only use it at night. If i use it as a day lotion, it makes me look very greasy and the sweat washes it off in some time anyway. So I use it at night to give it time to work.

The search for a light day moisturizer continues....
Mikel
Apprentice Member
Apprentice Member

Postby melissaw » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:42 pm

Mikel wrote:Hi Mellisa,

I too feel Cerave repairs the barrier. It does not irritate my psoriasis, takes care of the scaling/flaking and helps with the rosacea too.
However, since I live in a hot & humid place; I only use it at night. If i use it as a day lotion, it makes me look very greasy and the sweat washes it off in some time anyway. So I use it at night to give it time to work.

The search for a light day moisturizer continues....

Hi Mikel,

I have heard good things about the moisturiser Vanicream lite but have never tried it myself.

Vanicream lite lotion:
http://www.psico.com/products/vani_lite_lotion.cfm

I have also heard good things about toleriane dermo cleanser and fluid moisturiser though again I have never tried either of these products.

Good luck with your search.

Best wishes,
Melissa
melissaw
Star Member
Star Member

Next

Return to Cleansers